Ticks on Kitty

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Anybody have any ideas on how to keep ticks off kitty. Here's the deal. Cat goes outside and plays in the woods (good kitty, meows when he has to pee, hasn't used the catbox in months), use frontline or equivalent. Ticks on hair, not biting him, but on fur and when he comes in he loves to lay on bed/furniture thereby spreading little creatures around.

Can't really spray yard, since he goes into the woods and probably gets them there, how about a flea/tick collar, I've heard they can be bad, and the dumb animal may hang himself on it. But wife says no more kitty outside until we find a way to keep the bloodsuckers off of him.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There's some pill that you can give cats that repels ticks and fleas. Talk to your vet. Not sure if it would keep them off his fur, too, or how that works.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by DoWhat
Just keep the useless damn cat outside ALL the time.

:yeahthat: or do what I did ... chg the cat's name to "Target Practice" and let Sharon babysit the little sucker. :really:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Can't keep him outside, the girls love kitty. I was thinking of a flea collar since it gives off a scent that may repel them like a spray . I may have to take him to the vet this year too for the rabies shot, suppose I could ask. Usually I get his & doggies shots at Southern States.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Originally posted by jlabsher
I was thinking of a flea collar since it gives off a scent that may repel them like a spray.

you haven't tried a 'flea and tick collar' yet? :bonk:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by tatercake
you haven't tried a 'flea and tick collar' yet? :bonk:

Dur, read my first post. I had heard from various places that flea and tick collars were bad for the critters. I figured some folks on here may have some advice

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by jlabsher
Dur, read my first post. I had heard from various places that flea and tick collars were bad for the critters. I figured some folks on here may have some advice
Did you try searching for "feline tick protection"? You might be amazed at what you can find.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by kwillia
the collar is concentrated poison and is constantly sitting on the same part of the body all day everyday...
:yeahthat: Plus, I think the record in my house for a cat keeping its flea collar on is one hour. If you don't cinch it tight enough to throttle them, they're out of it like Houdini.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I'm too lazy to search today, lots of work to do. Plus most of the websites are either homeopathic (crank) medicines or frontline type stuff.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Shave it.. this time of year, gettin hot.. kitty's better bald.. most prefer it that way anyways...

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Thought about just making Kitty an inside pet? Sure, you've got a litterbox to clean, but then you won't have to worry about her bringing foreign objects/parasites into the house--you negate the chances of her getting hit by a car (or being skinned alive and dragged behind some redneck's John Deere), and it also calms their temperament. She might not like it at first, but it may be the easiest option in the long run.