Ticks!!

idiganthro

Member
I took my little BFF on a hike through Saint Mary's River State Park this past weekend. Sprayed myself with deet and pup with a dog-safe "repellant." About mid-way through the 7.5 mile trail I realized I could see ticks clinging to the grass- tiny brown specks as far as the eye could see. They were all over my pants and shoes, even with the deet. Got home and rushed us both into the bath. I didn't find any on me, but poor pup was literally covered with tiny ticks. Luckily he is on an oral repellant that kills them as soon as they bite. I pulled over 50 off of him before he'd had enough (they were all dead/dying). Called the vet and they said he should be fine since they died so fast. Glad his lyme shot is up to date! They recommended a scalibor repellant collar. Have any of you used one for your dog?

Won't take him there again during high tick season, and may opt to just leave him home next time. We were there in April and had no issues.
 
Last edited:

Clem72

Well-Known Member
I hate me some ticks. We need to take a cue from the Russians and nuke all our vegetation with DDT until every last tick is dead.
 

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
A tick had embedded itself in my dog's eyelid once. Thank God she let me take it out with tweezers. She was an Alaskan Malamute so that was basically the only spot a tick could find a place to attach itself. :lol: Everywhere else was covered in massive amounts of fur.
 
I walked thru Myrtle Point last week, forgot my repellent, fully expected to be covered. Very surprised there was not one tick on me. I was wondering if they spray.
 

idiganthro

Member
I wish Saint Mary's River Park would spray, but maybe it's too long of a trail to spray the whole thing. I work at a small park in Calvert and our staff sprays all the most commonly used public areas.
 

idiganthro

Member
Do you brush your dog? Same thing...
I do brush him regularly, since he's a long haired breed- even though we keep him cut in a shorter "puppy cut." But these ticks were so tiny even using a flea comb didn't pull them out.

Nasty creatures!!
 

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I do brush him regularly, since he's a long haired breed- even though we keep him cut in a shorter "puppy cut." But these ticks were so tiny even using a flea comb didn't pull them out.

Nasty creatures!!
The sticky might pull some off for you. Just a thought.
 

Chris0nllyn

Well-Known Member
Get some Permethrin. Spray it on your clothes (not your skin) and shoes. I use it when turkey hunting in the spring. It works great!
 

idiganthro

Member
Get some Permethrin. Spray it on your clothes (not your skin) and shoes. I use it when turkey hunting in the spring. It works great!
Yes, we have some that we use for hunting camp, and I will spray my clothes before my next hike. Really though, I lucked out- never found one embedded on me. My poor dog is the one who had it bad. Luckily his meds worked as advertised!
 
Top