Tides

Sparx

Tomorrow's AM low tide at Chesapeake Beach is at 11:33 am and the next high tide is at 4:26 pm. I'm told the fishing is best during a moving (rising or falling as opposed to) a slack tide. My question is: How many hours before and after a high or low tide is the water actually moving? (What are the prime hours between 11:33am and 4:26pm?)

Foxhound

Finishing last
Peek movement is about halfway between the tides. It's usually about 2 hours of "prime time" each change, from my experience. There used ot be a tidal flow calculator on Maryland DNR site. I don't know if it still there.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Sparx said:
Tomorrow's AM low tide at Chesapeake Beach is at 11:33 am and the next high tide is at 4:26 pm. I'm told the fishing is best during a moving (rising or falling as opposed to) a slack tide. My question is: How many hours before and after a high or low tide is the water actually moving? (What are the prime hours between 11:33am and 4:26pm?)

Usually one hour after the ebb or flood tide the water starts moving again.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/access/tide_finder.html

Sparx

Thanks folks, we were live lining below the Choptank on Saturday and the bite was definitely, noticeably best between 2 and 3:30, right in the middle of the low and high tides. We had our limit of nice Rockfish in that hour. The damned Bluefish ate our baits up in that period too .