Tiki Bar-Solomons

awpitt

Main Streeter
This question gets asked every year so here's the date for opening weekend.

From the Tiki Bar Facebook site...

This year we celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Tiki Bar in Solomons Island Md!! Tiki Bar Solomons Md opening weekend will be April 17th, 18th, & 19th! How things have changed since the small Tiki Bar Opened in 1980 in the front of Island Manor Motel. We will announce the band line-up in the next few weeks! FYI, we do not rent the motel rooms out anymore. The motel rooms have been made into storage and office space throughout the years. Tiki 2020 will be one to remember!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Never been to one of their openings....and have no plans to. Back in the early 90s, my running buddy kept a fast boat over on the Patuxent at Cape St. Mary's and we'd buzz down to Solomons in it. But never for Tiki bar opening...that was "well covered" by NRP and USCG every year..

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I went to several openings when I was younger. 🤷 I'm not going to pretend that it is/was beneath me to attend. It was like a reunion every year, but now that I am older I will not attend again, but I would not rule out hitting it up on Friday or Saturday evening for a pre dinner cocktail. Then again, I can have pre dinner waterfront cocktails at my house, but I would have to wash the glasses.

Auntie Biache'

I went to several openings when I was younger. 🤷 I'm not going to pretend that it is/was beneath me to attend. It was like a reunion every year, but now that I am older I will not attend again, but I would not rule out hitting it up on Friday or Saturday evening for a pre dinner cocktail. Then again, I can have pre dinner waterfront cocktails at my house, but I would have to wash the glasses.

We went to our first Tiki opening in the mid 90's. The streets were not blocked off. Tiki wasn't bursting at the seams, and people falling into the street. There were no bands, no beads, no half naked women. It was a quiet, as you said, reunion. It was a local watering hole that people gathered at to shake off the cob webs of winter. It was talk about being on the river, what restaurant to meet at for dinner, how your family has been. I loved it then. If I'm honest, I also loved the "mardi gras" Tiki for a few years, but it got old pretty fast. It became more of a hassle to go than it was worth.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We went to our first Tiki opening in the mid 90's. The streets were not blocked off. Tiki wasn't bursting at the seams, and people falling into the street. There were no bands, no beads, no half naked women. It was a quiet, as you said, reunion. It was a local watering hole that people gathered at to shake off the cob webs of winter. It was talk about being on the river, what restaurant to meet at for dinner, how your family has been. I loved it then. If I'm honest, I also loved the "mardi gras" Tiki for a few years, but it got old pretty fast. It became more of a hassle to go than it was worth.
Indeed. It was early to mid 90s for LW and myself also.

I never went for the opening itself, but would take an early walk Sunday morning around the island. I can remember the trail of blood on the sidewalk near Tiki one year.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
If I remember correctly, you even posted some pictures from one. I must say that you and the Captain were quite the characters! What do they call those things, a bodice? :hot:

Auntie Biache'

If I remember correctly, you even posted some pictures from one. I must say that you and the Captain were quite the characters! What do they call those things, a bodice? :hot:
I don't remember posting them, but I think we went once on our way back from renfaire, still in garb. Yes, that thing was a bodice.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I don't remember posting them, but I think we went once on our way back from renfaire, still in garb. Yes, that thing was a bodice.
Just thought of that after I hit the enter button. There were many, many pictures, but I remember some in costume ones of you folks. I was living vicariously through you guys at the time.:yay: