Time out rule sucks

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
How long is the NFL going to put up with this stupid, cheating, low life practice of calling a time out a split second before the kicker kicks a field goal? Which always resorts to the kicker doing it twice.

There is no good reason to call a time out and I find it very un sportsman like, childish and desperate.

Just because you can don't mean you do it.

You're allowed to pick your nose in a restaurant too, but if you have any self respect and respect for others you don't do it.

Rael

Supper's Ready
I never thought the idea of icing the kicker was an effective strategy, even if it was done before they line up. But once they get to the line and are set up, they shouldn't. You're right, Gumbo, it is desperate. I wonder how many times the second kick has made a difference in the outcome.

C

czygvtwkr

It will stop as soon as a kicker misses the first kick but then makes the second one.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I never thought the idea of icing the kicker was an effective strategy, even if it was done before they line up. But once they get to the line and are set up, they shouldn't. You're right, Gumbo, it is desperate. I wonder how many times the second kick has made a difference in the outcome.

With short FG probably not many at all, with longer ones 45 yd + I have seen a few times just this year where a kicker made the first attempt and then missed the 2nd.

Desperate? Maybe does it work sometimes, you bet!

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
With short FG probably not many at all, with longer ones 45 yd + I have seen a few times just this year where a kicker made the first attempt and then missed the 2nd.

I'd like to see the next coach the does it get called for unsportsman like conduct, because no matter how you look at it, it's unsportsman.

Novus Collectus

Dallas game last Monday night. Last seconds of the game and something like a 52 yard kick. Made the first kick, but there was the time out and had to do it again.....he did and it went right down the middle.

Severa

Common sense ain't common
How long is the NFL going to put up with this stupid, cheating, low life practice of calling a time out a split second before the kicker kicks a field goal? Which always resorts to the kicker doing it twice.

There is no good reason to call a time out and I find it very un sportsman like, childish and desperate.

Just because you can don't mean you do it.

You're allowed to pick your nose in a restaurant too, but if you have any self respect and respect for others you don't do it.

It's not just NFL. Florida pulled that same stunt in their loss to Auburn two weeks ago. As a casual football fan I had never seen it before and I think a stunt like that is really tacky. (Note: it didn't work. Kid kicked two damn near perfect 43 yd FGs)

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Dallas game last Monday night. Last seconds of the game and something like a 52 yard kick. Made the first kick, but there was the time out and had to do it again.....he did and it went right down the middle.

Oakland game in week 2 or 3, went the opposite way.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Perhaps...

...enough fans are annoyed by this for the league to modify the rules this coming off season.

Now, let's look at the intent here as far as doing it and it being legal; the league has consistently taken steps over the years to reduce field goals.

First, they moved the posts back 10 yards. Then, they award the ball to the other team after a miss from the spot of the place, not the line of scrimmage.

A coach simply has got to try to 'ice' kickers in this day and age. He'd be crucified in the paper when they make it and he didn't play every card he has.

In the mean time, time outs are time outs; you get 3 a half and you can use 'em as you see fit. Personally, I hate this practice as much as I hate TO's in basketball when the coach just wants to see the others guys set.