Tiny houses

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

We saw the cutest tiny house Sunday! There's a builder right up the road in Bastrop - he's not even officially open yet and he had a bunch of people flocking to see the homes. The one I fell in love with was about 400sf and looked like a little log cabin. Rustic interior, big farm sink, an electric fireplace, deluxe fixtures, plank flooring, nice loft, tons of storage. It was quite spacious, and the outside had a big wrap around porch with a wood burning stone fireplace.

Cost for it was $90k, which is about the same price as a good used Class A RV. So I'm trying to convince Monello that we don't need a new motorhome, what we need is to drive this one until we can't anymore, then put that money into a tiny cabin somewhere awesome.

It's amazing that I used to live in that monster in Middletown, now I could be very happy in a whole house the size of my old living room.

Here's the website:

Floor plans: https://www.platinumcottages.com/our-cottages

Gallery: https://www.platinumcottages.com/gallery

I don't remember the model name but tiny houses are custom built anyway so you can get what you want. The models are just a suggestion. But that woodsy cabin feel really grabbed me. If we landed in FL we'd want something more beachy, but for TX or TN the cabin is perfect.

I love a tiny house so much! :love:

Last edited:

Auntie Biache'

We saw the cutest tiny house Sunday! There's a builder right up the road in Bastrop - he's not even officially open yet and he had a bunch of people flocking to see the homes. The one I fell in love with was about 400sf and looked like a little log cabin. Rustic interior, big farm sink, an electric fireplace, deluxe fixtures, plank flooring, nice loft, tons of storage. It was quite spacious, and the outside had a big wrap around porch with a wood burning stone fireplace.

Cost for it was $90k, which is about the same price as a good used Class A RV. So I'm trying to convince Monello that we don't need a new motorhome, what we need is to drive this one until we can't anymore, then put that money into a tiny cabin somewhere awesome.

It's amazing that I used to live in that monster in Middletown, now I could be very happy in a whole house the size of my old living room.

Here's the website:

Floor plans: https://www.platinumcottages.com/our-cottages

Gallery: https://www.platinumcottages.com/gallery

I don't remember the model name but tiny houses are custom built anyway so you can get what you want. The models are just a suggestion. But that woodsy cabin feel really grabbed me. If we landed in FL we'd want something more beachy, but for TX or TN the cabin is perfect.

I love a tiny house so much! :love:
I watch tiny house shows all the time. They're cute, but at the end of the day, they're just trailers. Realistically, it's not cost effective if you need to move it, and if you're going to stay in one place, build something that will not depreciate like a car when you drive it off the lot.

Want a woodsy, cabin feel? Build a cabin.

Also, if your bed is in the loft, how long are you willing to climb that ladder to go to bed?

Last edited:
$90K sounds a little pricey for a tiny house. I haven't actually priced them out, it just sounds like an awful lot.

Along the same lines, I'm on a forum dedicated to solar power. There are many people who go totally off-grid in tiny homes and cabins, using nothing but solar for everything they need, and are very comfortable.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Realistically, it's not cost effective if you need to move it

Not if you're going to move it all the time, but if at some point you do decide to move you can take your home with you. Plus I want it planted at an RV resort so I'll have a pool and fitness room and all those great amenities, they cut your grass and take care of utilities, give you free cable and internet. Luxury apartments are becoming too expensive, and when they raise your rent every year you're chit out of luck. With a tiny house it's yours and if the resort gets too carried away with price gouging you can just move somewhere else.

I like it!

Auntie Biache'

$90K sounds a little pricey for a tiny house. I haven't actually priced them out, it just sounds like an awful lot.

Along the same lines, I'm on a forum dedicated to solar power. There are many people who go totally off-grid in tiny homes and cabins, using nothing but solar for everything they need, and are very comfortable.
$90k is the near the high end, but some of these places cost almost as much as a house, and some depending on materials, cost next to nothing. Of course, that's if you build it yourself, use crap that you find on the side of the road, second hand, freebies. The tiny house thing is kind of all over the place.

Vrai, get on youtube and start watching Living Big in a Tiny House. You'll get a feel for what you might be up against. It's pretty eye opening.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You can get them on the cheap - $30-40k or so - but I want one with stuff. I want those good fixtures/materials and that wrap around porch and the stone fireplace.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vrai, get on youtube and start watching Living Big in a Tiny House. You'll get a feel for what you might be up against. It's pretty eye opening.

We already do that, plus we lived in a tiny house in Austin for a month, which is where we discovered that we loved them and targeted them for the future. :yay:

Auntie Biache'

We already do that, plus we lived in a tiny house in Austin for a month, which is where we discovered that we loved them and targeted them for the future. :yay:

I love watching the programs, and some of them are pretty cool, some very nice, but my world just doesn't lend itself to that lifestyle. Yours does, though. Still, if I were in a position to downsize, I think I'd probably go container home. They're not mobile, but I'm not going anywhere.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yours does, though.

I'm finding that the older I get, the less I want and the less I want to deal with. I see a few people at RV parks who live full time in a teardrop camper, and I'm not willing to go that far but I do understand the attraction. One woman was traveling full time in a teardrop with her large dog, and I was like....whoa. Hardcore.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Do they make one with 25k-psi reinforced concrete, hardened steel and kevlar padding for when the Apocalypse starts and you have to repel the hordes?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I'm finding that the older I get, the less I want and the less I want to deal with.
^This^ Less to clean and maintain. I've looked at several designs and love the functionality and minimalist footprint. As long as it is only one story and has a nice porch, I'm good.