Tipping at Hair Salon

SailorGirl

I got my hair cut on Thursday. It was $55.00 and I gave the stylist a twenty dollar tip. I called back the next day to ask them if I could have the bangs trimmed just a little bit more and they said sure - no charge for that.

Am I required to tip her again? I'm having two thoughts on the subject; the first being yes of course you should. My second - she said before I left that she may have left my bangs and top a little too long because my hair is naturally curly and she didn't want to go too short. I feel like I tipped her fairly the first time and now I have to go back, a round trip of 44 miles for a probably less then two minute trim.

Opinions?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Because she mentioned your bangs might still be too long, she probably expected there was a 50/50 chance you would come back. It would not be right for her to charge you again, either, if you were unhappy with the cut; regardless of her mentioning it or not.
Your tip was generous. I wouldn't tip again.

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
PREMO Member
No. She didn't do it right the first time.
I understand why some might say that, but I wouldn't go that far...Only because she said she has curly hair. I don't know what type of curl sailor girl has, but if this is a fairly new stylist for her to be using, it takes several cuts and usually a long term relationship for the stylist to better understand her client's curls. It's entirely different from cutting straight/wavy hair. I've been using my girl for 7 years now, but in the beginning she would purposefully trim less to account for once the curls dry and lift. She always assured me I could come back for another trim if it ended up not being enough. Now, she knows my curls better than I do.

regardless, @SailorGirl your initial tip was very generous so if you go back, I wouldn't say you'd have to tip again, but I tend to over think and would still leave her like $5 :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
$20 is a very generous tip, so I'm with the rest - no, you're not expected to tip her again.

SailorGirl

I understand why some might say that, but I wouldn't go that far...Only because she said she has curly hair. I don't know what type of curl sailor girl has, but if this is a fairly new stylist for her to be using, it takes several cuts and usually a long term relationship for the stylist to better understand her client's curls. It's entirely different from cutting straight/wavy hair. I've been using my girl for 7 years now, but in the beginning she would purposefully trim less to account for once the curls dry and lift. She always assured me I could come back for another trim if it ended up not being enough. Now, she knows my curls better than I do.

regardless, @SailorGirl your initial tip was very generous so if you go back, I wouldn't say you'd have to tip again, but I tend to over think and would still leave her like $5 :lol:
Yeah - that's why I've been thinking all morning maybe I should tip her $5.00 and be done with it.

However. I've been going to her for 3 years now and she's nearly always done a great job and she knows my hair quirks better then I do. She didn't miss the mark this time - she cut over eight inches off and it looked adorable when she finished with it. And I seldom say that about my hair - it was a good cut. It's just when I dried it the following day I really had to work on the bangs to get them right and I thought she was right she left them a little too long and in another week, I'll be grabbing the scissors.

I still don't want to tip her but it's more the principle than anything else.

ginwoman

So what percentage do you tip? Say your services are $130 (cut/color/eyebrows) what would you tip?

lucky_bee

RBF expert
PREMO Member
Yeah - that's why I've been thinking all morning maybe I should tip her $5.00 and be done with it.

However. I've been going to her for 3 years now and she's nearly always done a great job and she knows my hair quirks better then I do. She didn't miss the mark this time - she cut over eight inches off and it looked adorable when she finished with it. And I seldom say that about my hair - it was a good cut. It's just when I dried it the following day I really had to work on the bangs to get them right and I thought she was right she left them a little too long and in another week, I'll be grabbing the scissors.

I still don't want to tip her but it's more the principle than anything else.
I did the same thing recently - I cut off a lot more than I usually go in for so it was new for both of us! I say you don't have to tip again, and fully support anyone that agrees, but I know me and I'm also very good friends with my stylist - I'd slip her $5 just to remind her thanks for always taking such good care of me because she really does go above and beyond.

So what percentage do you tip? Say your services are $130 (cut/color/eyebrows) what would you tip?
I'd tip about $25-$30 for that. I typically go with %20. I don't usually include any products I may purchase, but I think the Hair Co. specifically tells you the amount you're spending on services, not including product, so you can tip accordingly which is nice. I don't need more math to calculate on the fly.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Stylist/owner shampoos, cuts and dries my hair (I don't particularly like her adding all the goo and "styling it). $35 plus I tip her $10.

ginwoman

Stylist/owner shampoos, cuts and dries my hair (I don't particularly like her adding all the goo and "styling it). $35 plus I tip her $10.
You can ask her not to put any product in it and maybe just blow dry it a little bit to help blow the loose hair off. That's what I do. :)