Tippity Wichity Island

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
Tippity Wichity Island

I never knew this island existed until I was looking at google maps. Does anyone know anything about it? Is is privately owned?

Google Maps

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Privately owned, good crabbing near the island. Several stories on on how it got it's name. Supposedly there was a nip joint where folks would go out and "tip" back some illicit libations.

ski357

Check out "The Disappearing Islands of the Chesapeake" in google books

Can't get link to work.

slowlane

Thanks for sharing. That article mentions the author Frederick Tilp. His large, illustrated historical book entitled "This Was Potomac River" is in many local public libraries, and is a fascinating read, describing the human history along every mile of the river's length in the most minute detail . The late Mr. Tilp, a rural St. Mary's County resident, was also an architect who designed both the La Plata Court House and Methodist Church, and there is also a commercial cruise boat docked in Alexandria, that's named for him.

Last edited:

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Thanks for sharing. That article mentions the author Frederick Tilp. His large, illustrated historical book entitled "This Was Potomac River" is in many local public libraries, and is a fascinating read, describing the human history along every mile of the river's length in the most minute detail . The late Mr. Tilp, a rural St. Mary's County resident, was also an architect who designed both the La Plata Court House and Methodist Church, and there is also a commercial cruise boat docked in Alexandria, that's named for him.

I'm a fan of reading about the history of this area. It's kind of neat to put yourself back in time and imagine that you were there. The John Wilkes Boothe escape from DC, civil war at Point Lookout and a few other things always put me in the time frame of which it happened. :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Friend of mine put a new deep well on that island a good while back. Was quite the adventure, getting his heavy equipment out there and back.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member