(tire screech)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was interested in a book of short stories by some dead science fiction person, so I downloaded a sample from Amazon. In the forward, written by the author's son, he didn't get past the first two pages before he took a swipe at Republicans.

Delete.

I hate when I'm enjoying a book or a movie or whatever and for no apparent reason a nasty political comment is inserted. It's a full stop and the enjoyment ends. And it's usually an unnecessary non sequitur, the author just stuck it in there.

It's annoying.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It makes it easier when they're up front and lay it all out at the beginning. This way you know and can practice your freewill. :yay:

Reactions: BOP

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
I got an email this morning from the SMC library. They have a romance book discussion once a month, so I thought why not?

Looked the book up on Amazon to check out the reviews. Author Selena Montgomery, aka Stacey Abrams. Uh, no thanks.

Then I thought, well, read the reviews before you decide.

Lots of gushing. So wonderful, so wonderful, by my hero Abrams.

Then the few, not really well written. Which is the review I'm seeking.

When I read a book, I want to get lost in the story. It's got to move along smoothly, and suck me right along.

So, I'll pass this month.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I got an email this morning from the SMC library. They have a romance book discussion once a month, so I thought why not?

Looked the book up on Amazon to check out the reviews. Author Selena Montgomery, aka Stacey Abrams. Uh, no thanks.

Then I thought, well, read the reviews before you decide.

Lots of gushing. So wonderful, so wonderful, by my hero Abrams.

Then the few, not really well written. Which is the review I'm seeking.

When I read a book, I want to get lost in the story. It's got to move along smoothly, and suck me right along.

So, I'll pass this month.
She writes romance novels? Oh my heaving bosom... :hot:

stgislander

PREMO Member
Seriously. pappy told me to find me a big woman. “She’ll provide you shade in the summer, warmth in the winter, and everywhere you squeeze her will feel like titties, son”.
Hmmm... that obviously wasn't your dad since your mom would be blown away in a strong gust of wind. I can't imagine the Admiral saying that either. Must have been another ole pappy.

PeoplesElbow

Seriously. pappy told me to find me a big woman. “She’ll provide you shade in the summer, warmth in the winter, and everywhere you squeeze her will feel like titties, son”.
Had a friend that was divorced three times by 26 tell me marry a woman that can cook cause you can always have an affair but finding a woman to cook for you on the side is damn hard.

SamSpade

Had a friend that was divorced three times by 26 tell me marry a woman that can cook cause you can always have an affair but finding a woman to cook for you on the side is damn hard.

Dad used to say something like that - "Looks don't last, but good cookin' DO".

SamSpade

I hate when I'm enjoying a book or a movie or whatever and for no apparent reason a nasty political comment is inserted. It's a full stop and the enjoyment ends. And it's usually an unnecessary non sequitur, the author just stuck it in there.

It's annoying.

But you and I have to be used to it by now. It's why it is SO enjoyable when the other side of the political side is mentioned and it is clear by the writing in the show - they're not portraying THAT point of view as the idiotic one (typical in a liberal leaning show - IF they portray the right wing ideas - even if they give a mildly accurate description - it's always from the jerk you're supposed to not like).

I think the first time I even noticed that in a movie was in "Sneakers" where there were numerous jabs at Republicans and George Bush 1.

I'll tell you what is REALLY pissing off both my wife and I is all the "systemic racism" wokeness in all of our favorite shows - S.W.A.T., The Rookie, New Amsterdam, etc. - where the whole show is a paean to the wokeness thing.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I received an email for a Women in Technology Online Festival and clicked to see who the speakers will be.

Michelle Obama
Former First Lady of the United States

Michelle Robinson Obama served as First Lady of the United States from 2009 to 2017, transforming the position and becoming a role model, champion and inspiration for women, families, and young people across America and around the world.

There was more gushing. No thanks. :dead:

Hijinx

I read a lot, I like Sanford, but Patterson write a lot of books that I turn down , I have to pick and choose with his..
I read other authors also

The thing that really irks me is when an author gets an unknown to write a book in his style and he just lays back and collects royalties on his name.

ginwoman

But you and I have to be used to it by now. It's why it is SO enjoyable when the other side of the political side is mentioned and it is clear by the writing in the show - they're not portraying THAT point of view as the idiotic one (typical in a liberal leaning show - IF they portray the right wing ideas - even if they give a mildly accurate description - it's always from the jerk you're supposed to not like).

I think the first time I even noticed that in a movie was in "Sneakers" where there were numerous jabs at Republicans and George Bush 1.

I'll tell you what is REALLY pissing off both my wife and I is all the "systemic racism" wokeness in all of our favorite shows - S.W.A.T., The Rookie, New Amsterdam, etc. - where the whole show is a paean to the wokeness thing.
Agree 100%....it's hard to watch our favorite shows sometimes because of it