To Hell and back... and it only took a week!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I don't hate the cats really, but they are just a big PITA. No interaction, like dogs..they are just 'meh'..
I would have agreed with you up until getting Boone and Gracie. I swear their mom was a freak and they are part dog. Gracie even wags her tail when she is happy like a dog. These two want to be with people whenever possible. I have never had cats like these two before.

UglyBear

Someone please "virtual" smack me for logging back onto this cat forum and posting something. :banghead: Still getting the "you are going to kill your cats by doing (blank)" responses because I feed Boone and Gracie wet food that contains fish in it. Oh the horror!! :shocked::rolleyes: I really should have just stayed off the site because I knew what was going to happen. I feel bad for people who have never had cats before and are taking what these people are saying as gospel. They are going to be spending a fortune trying to live up to the expectations of the so called cat experts.
You are a good cat caretaker, don’t doubt it.

Cats are pretty dang hardy creatures (except the inbred specialty ones), there’s not much going between their velvety ears, and as long as food, shelter, litter box are adequate, they will be OK.

They are just like humans, health wise it’s a roll of the genetic dice, some will live to 15 on table scraps, some will develop cancer at 1 no matter what the owner does.

To counteract “the experts”, cats evolved in tough conditions, in tough desert/ mountain terrain, hunting and scavenging, probably on the verge of starvation for their entire lives. Their natural lifespan is prob no more than 4-5 years at best in the wild, and overall lives are tough, brutish and short.

Those furry bastards do embed themselves in our hearts, but considering the above, you are probably giving the cat the best life it could have, no matter what you do (short of extreme hoarding) — warm comfy place to live safe from predators, consistent food (even the crappiest brand of dry food once a day), basic medical care. The rest is, again, depends on nothing but the genes the cat got.
Disregard the Pet Nazis — these are the same miserable souls who latched onto the masking and social distancing craze, just to feel important.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
You are a good cat caretaker, don’t doubt it.

Cats are pretty dang hardy creatures (except the inbred specialty ones), there’s not much going between their velvety ears, and as long as food, shelter, litter box are adequate, they will be OK.

They are just like humans, health wise it’s a roll of the genetic dice, some will live to 15 on table scraps, some will develop cancer at 1 no matter what the owner does.

To counteract “the experts”, cats evolved in tough conditions, in tough desert/ mountain terrain, hunting and scavenging, probably on the verge of starvation for their entire lives. Their natural lifespan is prob no more than 4-5 years at best in the wild, and overall lives are tough, brutish and short.

Those furry bastards do embed themselves in our hearts, but considering the above, you are probably giving the cat the best life it could have, no matter what you do (short of extreme hoarding) — warm comfy place to live safe from predators, consistent food (even the crappiest brand of dry food once a day), basic medical care. The rest is, again, depends on nothing but the genes the cat got.
Disregard the Pet Nazis — these are the same miserable souls who latched onto the masking and social distancing craze, just to feel important.
My husband and kids say I treat Boone and Gracie better than I treat them. I buy them several varieties of food and lots and lots of toys to play with. Not sure if I posted this but last weekend was their unofficial first birthday. I got them a Da Bird wand toy. Boone went full on primal. Growling and hissing over this thing. He and Gracie got themselves so worked up over it, they were panting.

jrt_ms1995

the cat does pee and poo on their bed so there is cause for the annoyance.
Bullet to the head time.

mitzi

Still getting the "you are going to kill your cats by doing (blank)" responses because I feed Boone and Gracie wet food that contains fish in it. Oh the horror!!

So why do ferals/strays live for years eating from dumpsters or killing birds and eating them. Remember for years we were always told to give them pet food and no table scraps/people food? Now pet foods are killing them. All of these experts on pet care (eye roll).
The stray who adopted me a year ago still hangs out everyday. He lived for several years scavenging the dumpsters. He would run from anyone within 20 feet of him. He still won't come any closer to me than a few feet, but that's okay. I've never been a cat person because I'm allergic so we can social distance. I still wonder where he goes for shelter during bad weather. I can only assume he knows what he's doing probably from being a stray most if not all of his life. I like him coming around and now I worry if I don't see him.
The other day I was at the door talking to a neighbor. The cat was hissing at him and making that mean face :lmao:. I don't know what that was about. If it was a dog, I would say being protective or jealous. With a cat, I have no clue.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Cats can be protective. My fat boy had a stand off between me and my neighbors dog once. He puffed up and hissed and the dog ran away yelping. 😂

He also tried to alert me of someone outside one night. now I have cameras.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I would have agreed with you up until getting Boone and Gracie. I swear their mom was a freak and they are part dog. Gracie even wags her tail when she is happy like a dog. These two want to be with people whenever possible. I have never had cats like these two before.
All of my family's Siamese cats loved people! Growing up - our family's cat (Buzzy) was devoted to all 5 of us. My first cat (Styx) was a "mommy's boy" as it was just me and him most of his life. But he loved people, and when I got married and had Thing1 - he was everyone's cat. My 2nd Siamese (Simon) came to us when Thing2 was 5 and he was a total lover boy to all 4 of us.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
What is so funny is that these self proclaimed experts seem to have the sickliest cats. Either has some disease or allergies. Reminds me of the moms who are hyper vigilant about their kids can eat and don't want their babies to eat any sugar, dairy, gluten, nuts, etc with no history of allergies to any of it. If a kid is prone to allergies or some disease, they will get it regardless of what you feed him/her.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Did you ever see The Office episode - I think it's called Angela's Hairball. It was hysterical - Angela had a camera hooked up at home so she could watch her cats and left it on when she went home to check on them. Anyways she was licking one of her cats on camera and when she returned to work she was coughing and choking.

Loses something in the translation - it really was funny. Swear.
Sounds familiar. Used to watch the reruns more often than I do now.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Did you ever see The Office episode - I think it's called Angela's Hairball. It was hysterical - Angela had a camera hooked up at home so she could watch her cats and left it on when she went home to check on them. Anyways she was licking one of her cats on camera and when she returned to work she was coughing and choking.

Loses something in the translation - it really was funny. Swear.
I have only watched a couple of episodes, so don't think I have. I tried to get into the show but just couldn't. :sshrug: