Toe joint implants, questions

limblips

PREMO Member
OK, years of gout have taken their toll. Podiatrist says it is time to R&R my big toe joints. Anybody have it done? Local or general anesthetic? Recovery time? Would you do it again? Thanks.

The young couldn't handle old age!

Justme2

My sister when she was 54 had one big toe done. Metal implants and all.
I really do not know all the details but something went wrong with the skin growth and she had to have it done again.

She claims the pain is unbelievable when trying to walk to the bathroom.
Her other toe needs to be done to stop the pain she had in the first toe.
She's no way is she going through that again she 57 and still has not had it done. And deals with the joint pain in that toe.

I didn't have it done but can tell you I am close to my sister and if she is not having something done that would be medically improve her it must not be worth it. She is the type of person that sees the dentist every 6 months and her hubby is a cancer survivor.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I was 18 when I had foot surgery. They had to shave/file off a bone spur from near the baby toe joint. I was awake for the surgery. They used some sort of "block" so that the foot was numb and I didn't feel anything (other than the movements of grinding and filing and such) until later that night when the "block" wore off.

I am 43 now and to this day, I can honestly say the pain I felt after that surgery was the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life. I had two c-sections and was up walking around in less than 24 hours after each because in comparison to what I remember from my foot surgery... c-sections were a walk in the park. To this day, I swear I hope to NEVER have foot surgery done ever again. I'd prefer to wear Kleenex boxes for shoes... Hope that helps.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
OK, years of gout have taken their toll. Podiatrist says it is time to R&R my big toe joints. Anybody have it done? Local or general anesthetic? Recovery time? Would you do it again? Thanks.

The young couldn't handle old age!

There's an old surgical adage that says: "If you operate for pain, you get pain." It's just a question of which pain hurts the most. Imagine the pain of a severe gout attack against the pain of bone surgery (both some of the worst pains I can imagine - having not had bone surgery) But the hope is that the surgical pain goes away in time.