Tom Watson at the Open has always been ...

magic.

And he's turning back the clock for us yet again - on top of the leaderboard, at 5 under through 17 at Turnberry. I don't care what he does tomorrow or on the weekend, it's great seeing him play this well today. More so than with any modern era golfer, the Open is just his event.

He's almost 60 years old and he's leading the most prominent golf tournament in the world - the fact that such things are possible is just one of the beautiful things about golf.

Watson struggled early in his round today, but held it together and made a few birdies coming in to get back to -5 (even for the round). He's tied for the lead now, and will likely play in the final group on Saturday.

On another note, Tiger is probably gonna miss the cut.

Once again, a Sunday of major championship golf has been quite compelling. No matter how it turns out, I'd just like to say thanks, Tom. You've really given us something to behold - 60 years old and on top of the leaderboard after 69 holes of the biggest golf tournament in the world.

Beta84

They're out to get us
Once again, a Sunday of major championship golf has been quite compelling. No matter how it turns out, I'd just like to say thanks, Tom. You've really given us something to behold - 60 years old and on top of the leaderboard after 69 holes of the biggest golf tournament in the world.

Playoff after 72!! :jameo:

Watson vs Cink!! Watson slipped a little but I really hope he pulls this off.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I am holding back my comments until this is over. :buddies:

I'm busy doing other stuff so I can't quite do as good of a search as I want, plus I turned it on during the playoff...but why are they doing multiple holes, but not the entire 18? What's the British Open playoff format? I've seen hole for hole and I've seen all 18 but I don't recall any other options.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm busy doing other stuff so I can't quite do as good of a search as I want, plus I turned it on during the playoff...but why are they doing multiple holes, but not the entire 18? What's the British Open playoff format? I've seen hole for hole and I've seen all 18 but I don't recall any other options.

4 holes, net score. Tied after that sudden death.

Well, Tom played great all week - truly amazing stuff. I was afraid he would be worn out by the time the playoff started - and he seemed to be. His drive on 17 had 'tired' written all over it - his driving had been superb all week. Under pressure, he had consistently hit clutch drive after clutch drive. Once he was buried in the tall stuff left of the fairway, it was pretty much over - almost no way to make birdie from there.

He got a little unlucky on the 71st and 72nd holes, when he hit great shots that ran out a little too much - but that happens to everyone in links golf. The point being, that he played very solid golf all the way to the finish - just not in the playoff.

More importantly though - congratulations to Stewart Cink. It's about time he won one, and he certainly earned this one.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well, Tom played great all week - truly amazing stuff. I was afraid he would be worn out by the time the playoff started - and he seemed to be. His drive on 17 had 'tired' written all over it - his driving had been superb all week. Under pressure, he had consistently hit clutch drive after clutch drive. Once he was buried in the tall stuff left of the fairway, it was pretty much over - almost no way to make birdie from there.

He got a little unlucky on 17 and 18 during regulation, when he hit great shots that ran out a little too much - but that happens to everyone in links golf. The point being, that he played very solid golf all the way to the finish - just not in the playoff.

More importantly though - congratulations to Stewart Cink. It's about time he won one, and he certainly earned this one.

Yes,, congrats to Cink, but he is a side show. SOMEONE was gonna win.

We ALMOST got to see the greatest single athletic achievement of all time. To win an event of this magnitude so much older than any other winner, ever, is far more than Hollywood. It's just to demanding to keep your concentration and execution under control for that long, with that pressure at that age. Simply stunning. He just about did it.

Watson lost it in 18 fairway in regulation. He HAD to land it short, in that juicy flat spot the announcers told us about, the one Cink hit in regulation to set up his birdie to get to 2. So, Tom's concentration went first because he struck it pure. Just a bad club.

The putt from the collar showed his touch leaving and the par putt showed it gone. Just done, finished.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Rick Reilly is a moron. To even begin to make a point that some said an old guy perhaps winning was bad for the sport, to even make note of it is beyond idiocy to ANYONE who has ever tried to play well. Then to add his wife is hot. :tap:

What a total moron.

Yes,, congrats to Cink, but he is a side show. SOMEONE was gonna win.

We ALMOST got to see the greatest single athletic achievement of all time. To win an event of this magnitude so much older than any other winner, ever, is far more than Hollywood. It's just to demanding to keep your concentration and execution under control for that long, with that pressure at that age. Simply stunning. He just about did it.

Watson lost it in 18 fairway in regulation. He HAD to land it short, in that juicy flat spot the announcers told us about, the one Cink hit in regulation to set up his birdie to get to 2. So, Tom's concentration went first because he struck it pure. Just a bad club.

The putt from the collar showed his touch leaving and the par putt showed it gone. Just done, finished.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Yeah, for that one shot he couldn't overcome the enormity of the situation. He couldn't control his heart rate standing over that approach to the 18th green, and his adrenaline - or whatever - meant that the ball carried a few extra yards. Believe me, he knew what he needed to do (land it a little short), and I'll bet he had the right club to do it.

I think when he got to his ball behind the green, the energy and enthusiasm which had carried him all week was sucked out of him. Standing in the 18th fairway, he had done it - he had won the Open once again - he had achieved the seeming impossible. And, once he saw the ball over the green, 3 inches from a lie that would have all but guaranteed his victory, all of a sudden he hadn't done it quite yet. For him, that wouldn't have been too difficult an up and down - but the fact that he still had to pull it off, after he thought he had already done all of the work he needed to do, was deflating. At least, that's what seemed to me to have happened.

Once they got to the playoff, it was Cink's to lose. He was energized. He had just played himself into the playoff. He had new life. Watson had just let the Claret Jug slip away, and all of the emotions of the week had finally been let in to sap his strength.

I was talking to someone earlier today and said that, if he could win this today, it would be the most transcendent thing that had happened in sports since I've been paying attention - transcendent in that it's power to inspire and touch people's hearts would not have been limited to sporting contexts.

It didn't quite happen - but man it was great thinking that it could for a few days. Thanks again Tom - that was something special.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was talking to someone earlier today and said that, if he could win this today, it would be the most transcendent thing that had happened in sports since I've been paying attention - transcendent in that it's power to inspire and touch people's hearts would not have been limited to sporting contexts.

It didn't quite happen - but man it was great thinking that it could for a few days. Thanks again Tom - that was something special.

Words to that effect, that's it. One darn swing. Transcendent in shear accomplishment as well. :buddies:

After an Epic Loss, Then What?

Mr. Watson, for his part, is getting right back on his horse: He is playing in the Senior British Open, which begins Thursday in Berkshire, England, and says he will play in the U.S. Senior Open next week. Despite getting little rest after losing the Open — “I asked him how he slept, and he said ‘Fitfully, for an hour,’” says his caddie, Neil Oxman — Mr. Watson says he never considered taking a week off. “There is still quite a vacuum in the stomach, but this, too, shall pass,” he said Tuesday. “Honestly, it’s not the most important thing in life.”

Tom Watson is tied for 6th at -3, after the opening round of the Senior Open.