Tomatoes galore!

Bloody Mary mix or just tomatoes?

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
:ugh: I just put up 6 pints of salsa and I still have about 10 more pounds of tomatoes left, and more to come if I want them.

Should I make jars of Bloody Mary mix to give for Christmas presents or should I be lazy and just can the tomatoes and be done with it?

Cast your vote now! :jet:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:
Should I make jars of Bloody Mary mix to give for Christmas presents
That is an excellent and unique idea. You totally have to do that. :yay:

H

HollowSoul

I say bloody mary mix...
That way when Larry and I get to jammin we will have something "nutritious" :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Nickel said:
That is an excellent and unique idea. You totally have to do that.
I've never had a Bloody Mary in my whole entire life - they just look so....bloody :twitch: But Larry's mom and sisters love them.

Recipe:

10 pounds tomatoes
1 c chopped celery
1/2 c chopped onion
6 T lemon juice
2 T sugar
1 T W-sauce
2 t horseradish
1 t salt
1 t Texas Pete

Wash and core tomatoes, cut into pieces and drain. Put tomatoes, celery and onion in a big pot and bring to boil, then simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or so. Press the tomato mixture through a sieve, then ditch anything solid. Put the juice back in the pot and boil for 20 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Pour into canning jars and process in hot water for 35 minutes (skip this part if you don't can). Makes about 4 pints.

Triggerfish

hey...what ever you have left over just put it in the blender and pour it into your garden (if you have one.) It'll give it some nutrition.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Triggerfish said:
hey...what ever you have left over just put it in the blender and pour it into your garden (if you have one.) It'll give it some nurtition.
Really? I'll have to tell my MIL that (it's her garden). :yay:

K

Katie

I have a soup recipe that I make that uses 6 large tomatoes. I am going to make it tomorrow and freeze it for the winter time!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
vraiblonde said:
I've never had a Bloody Mary in my whole entire life
Me either...I don't like tomatoes and am not a fan of red drinks. :lol: But it is an awesome idea.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Katie said:
I have a soup recipe that I make that uses 6 large tomatoes.
You just gave me an idea! When I make cabbage soup, I usually use V-8 juice and I'll bet it would REALLY be tasty with this mix instead. I think I'll go ahead and get more tomatoes...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
404 said:
Make the Bloody Mary mix, maybe it will shut you up for a few days.
Just for that, I'm going to give everyone on this forum a taste of Bloody Mary EXCEPT YOU :razz:

CMC122

Go Braves!
4 to 6 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper
Dash of garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.

Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. To serve, cut into slices and serve warm

I have altered my version a little. I use a vidalia onion that I browned in a skillet first instead of the green onions. It's also just as delish without the basil:yay: You can also add some precooked bacon for added flavor.

Make sure you sweat the tomato's real good or the pie will be watery! I drain them for a few hours in the colainder with a stack of plates sitting on top of them. I also leave the peels on the tomato's.

You can also use whatever cheese you have on hand it's still :yum:

I made this at a recent function and got several PM's requesting the recipe:lol:

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Option D: Bloody Mary Mix & Salsa to give away :yay:

I'm so mad that I left the big bag of homegrown tomatoes from my gpop's garden up at my brother's house in PA. :tantrum: I was going to can a few jars of salsa myself for the winter with 'em. :frown: