Tomorrow a Holiday for GVT workers

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Pretty sure that Chuck Co. 12 month school employees got a robo call yesterday evening telling them that schools were closed. The last day for teachers was 6/17.

Kinnakeet

Thank you President Houseplant and everyone that gave me this day off! In will enjoy it while thinking of Arbor Day and 911 and Pearl Harbor Day and how can I get 23 more days off with pay next year for whatever nonsense we can invent....
Are those days related to Negros if not good luck

Kinnakeet

If I may ...

While true, in 1999, “Greaseman” was fired after making light of the dragging death of a black man in Jasper, Texas. In criticizing a song by black singer Lauryn Hill, he said, “No wonder people drag them behind trucks.”

But that is the comment I was not referring to.

In 1986 "The Greaseman," suggested on the air that if the assassination of a black leader was cause for a day off, then killing "four more" would result in getting the rest of the week off. He wasn't fired for that comment. The next day he apologized as well on the second day after as well. The station, DC 101, only received two calls about the comment.
I laughed my azz off when I heard those comments but i knew it would not go over well with the radio station

TPD

the poor dad
Apparently gate guards got the notice today was a holiday but base workers didn’t get that notice! At 8am traffics was a cluster you know what - gate 2 closed so there was a backup on the northbound side from gate 2 all the way to gate one. Not only were the usual “southerners” sitting there, but the “northerners” were getting to gate 2 only to make a u-turn to sit in line.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Apparently gate guards got the notice today was a holiday but base workers didn’t get that notice! At 8am traffics was a cluster you know what - gate 2 closed so there was a backup on the northbound side from gate 2 all the way to gate one. Not only were the usual “southerners” sitting there, but the “northerners” were getting to gate 2 only to make a u-turn to sit in line.
Email was sent to the masses at 3:14pm yesterday notifying of the holiday and closures.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I heard today that getting on base (Pax), was a nightmare this morning.
Only 1 gate open.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Oops, didnt see your post.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
How about a Holiday for all the Chinese mistreated building the railroad in the late 1800's
Here in the eastern half of the US, it was the Irish in the 1800's (2 of my 2nd great grandfathers), and Italians in the decade or so before WW1. Both of my mom's grandfathers were "imported" from Italy to work for the Pennsylvania railroad company.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Both of my mom's grandfathers were "imported" from Italy to work for the Pennsylvania railroad company.
Same here except it was my grandfather and great-grandfather. Came over to work on the B&O. Great-grandfather returned to Italy when he retired.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

It's now not just a State holiday, apparently Calvert County adopted it as well. Without warning all landfills and convenience centers are closed. As I was turning around to leave, in the car behind me was a black fellow, he was a pissed a well seeing that they were closed.

mitzi

If I may ...

While true, in 1999, “Greaseman” was fired after making light of the dragging death of a black man in Jasper, Texas. In criticizing a song by black singer Lauryn Hill, he said, “No wonder people drag them behind trucks.”

But that is the comment I was not referring to.

In 1986 "The Greaseman," suggested on the air that if the assassination of a black leader was cause for a day off, then killing "four more" would result in getting the rest of the week off. He wasn't fired for that comment. The next day he apologized as well on the second day after as well. The station, DC 101, only received two calls about the comment.

Both comments were ignorant. I stopped listening to him.

PeoplesElbow

Most contractors probably still had to show for work. Many don't get Columbus day. Pretty happy about this, one that's been a pain in my butt keeps coming by asking me questions because they don't have the expertise to provide their contractual obligations but somehow that became my responsibility to train them.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm waiting for 'White Savior Celebration Day', seeing how it was White people that fought and died to abolish slavery. On top of that, it was White Union soldiers that rode out to Texas to inform those there slaves that they were free. Yup. I'm a wait'in.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
If I may ...

I'm reminded of something that "The Greaseman", (that got him fired, I think), [some people have no sense of humor], said once about the making of MLK's birthday as a Federal and State holiday. Something about getting a whole week off? :killingme
I was working at a 7-11 listening to DC101 when Greaseman said that. The faces of some of the customers looking at the radio.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Email was sent to the masses at 3:14pm yesterday notifying of the holiday and closures.
and we all know how well that's been working?
Instead of the nautical term, Flank Speed, maybe they should have called it Full Stop
Let's see, low bid the hardware (laptops can't handle all the crap they push)
Network can't find itself because it's so slow. Yes, use TEAMS, except one hiccup and it takes a dozen restarts to get connected again.
Was on a conference hosted by another branch (who shall go unnamed). They used Zoom for government and it worked pretty damn good.
Not the Navy, we have to reinvent the wheel. So unless you have a contract for someone else to host the meeting, it's dial in and distribute the charts. But wait. Nobody got the charts because emails were rejected or never received.
Yep, they sent an email, but like a tree falling in the forest, if nobody gets it does it really matter if it was sent.

PeoplesElbow

and we all know how well that's been working?
Instead of the nautical term, Flank Speed, maybe they should have called it Full Stop
Let's see, low bid the hardware (laptops can't handle all the crap they push)
Network can't find itself because it's so slow. Yes, use TEAMS, except one hiccup and it takes a dozen restarts to get connected again.
Was on a conference hosted by another branch (who shall go unnamed). They used Zoom for government and it worked pretty damn good.
Not the Navy, we have to reinvent the wheel. So unless you have a contract for someone else to host the meeting, it's dial in and distribute the charts. But wait. Nobody got the charts because emails were rejected or never received.
Yep, they sent an email, but like a tree falling in the forest, if nobody gets it does it really matter if it was sent.
I put in a help ticket that specifically said do not email, I'm not getting any emails only to see the ticket got closed because of no response to email.