Tonio

Triggerfish

I am working on a paper on Dali's Hallucinogenic Toreador. DO you have any interesting things about Dali or the painting that may not be widely available?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
I looked through my book of Dali paintings published by the Tate Gallery, but it doesn't have a print of Hallucinogenic Toreador. If you get a chance, I highly recommend a trip to the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Fla.

This may not be widely known, but Dali wrote a "script" for the Marx Brothers. (I'm a Marxist, but of the Groucho kind, not the Karl kind.) Dali and the other Surrealist painters of the time were fascinated by the Marxes and by Harpo in particular. His "script," named "Giraffes on Horseback Salad," was just a series of sketches featuring the Brothers in surrealistic settings. There are some details available in the various books about the Marxes. Dali didn't seem to understand that Marxist comedy was rebellious absurdity, not surrealism.

You can probably find more material on a Dali script that did get filmed, "L'Age D'Or," his collaboration with French director Luis Bunuel. I've never seen that movie.

Last edited:

Triggerfish

Tonio said:
I looked through my book of Dali paintings published by the Tate Gallery, but it doesn't have a print of Hallucinogenic Toreador. If you get a chance, I highly recommend a trip to the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Surprising since it's one of his more famous paintings. I saw it at the Dali museum about 3 weeks ago. During the tour they had some interesting things about how Dali tried to impress Gala. Thanks for the input.

Triggerfish

Tonio said:
This may not be widely known, but Dali wrote a "script" for the Marx Brothers. (I'm a Marxist, but of the Groucho kind, not the Karl kind.) Dali and the other Surrealist painters of the time were fascinated by the Marxes and by Harpo in particular. .

The other surrealist were actual Marxists but Dali was more pro-Fascists so he was expelled from the group. They spoke of him in the past tense as though he was dead after that. Dali even congratulated Franco for getting rid of some troublesome elements in the country.