Too early for flu vaccine

KDENISE977

Both my husband and I have flu sympoms, already spoke to the pediatrician who said that b/c baby is so young (4 months old) that their isn't anything we can do to prevent baby from getting sick. :-(. He's been sleeping ALL DAY at day care and now has been asleep since I picked him up... is his little body trying to fight infection/virus by sleeping??

jsouthan

Both my husband and I have flu sympoms, already spoke to the pediatrician who said that b/c baby is so young (4 months old) that their isn't anything we can do to prevent baby from getting sick. :-(. He's been sleeping ALL DAY at day care and now has been asleep since I picked him up... is his little body trying to fight infection/virus by sleeping??
Could be. Rest does wonders for the body and its ability to heal. My babies always slept a ton when they were getting ready to grow.

Roman

:flowers: Feel better.! It is perfect sleeping weather, so maybe he is just sleepy today.

stars24

Weird - same thing going on here... My baby is 4 months old, and she slept 12 hours last night (I had to wake her up to take her to daycare) and the daycare provider said her 2nd nap of the day was 3 hrs long (at which point she woke her up to get her ready for pick-up).... she took another nap on the way home and then she was ready for bed again by 6:30 tonight.

We thought that she may be fighting something off or growing? Who knows! Hopefully the babies aren't getting sick...

KDENISE977

When I called the pediatrician on Sat. a.m. to ask b/c we were so sick, he said that babies immune systems are stronger than ours (adults) and seemed very passive of what I was worried about :-(... Chase usually cat naps at daycare, they tell me all the time he doesn't nap for more than 20 minutes...but today it was over 4 hours !!!!! and like I said, after his bath at 5:00 I had to wake him up to feed him and he's OUT !!!

punjabigyrl

Weird - same thing going on here... My baby is 4 months old, and she slept 12 hours last night (I had to wake her up to take her to daycare) and the daycare provider said her 2nd nap of the day was 3 hrs long (at which point she woke her up to get her ready for pick-up).... she took another nap on the way home and then she was ready for bed again by 6:30 tonight.

We thought that she may be fighting something off or growing? Who knows! Hopefully the babies aren't getting sick...

sounds like a growth spurt to me. My kids a few weeks before stop eating, they live on air, then they sleep and sleep and sleep, then they bounce back and eat and eat like they haven't been fed. Following weekend we go to the mall for new clothes. While every child reacts differently to a growth spurt. The long naps, with no other symptoms is a general giveaway. Or she maybe actually fighting something.

lovinmaryland

My toddler has been sleeping a lot the past few days as well. But I had the flu a few weeks ago and one of her brothers is getting over it so I assume she has gotten a case of it herself.

As long as they arent throwing up everywhere I am fine. Me no likey barf!!!

pelers

Keep an eye on their temperature. If it gets high call your pediatrician (I can't remember what the magic number was, 100?)

KDENISE977

YUP... got Chase home last night and sounded like he was breathing under water, all raspy and flemmy (sp) cough, called the pediatrician, who says bring him right in... and he's sick now :frown: poor little guy, so young and doesn't know he needs to cough up all the bad stuff.

pelers

Awww :( Was the pediatrician able to give him anything? Mine is just coming off of an ear infection and a cold. The cold was horrible, nothing to be done. Just saline spray and brain suckering out all the snot :bawl:

KDENISE977

NO she said the same thing, but the saline won't work b/c the infection is all down his throat and the congestion isn't up his nose??? I don't understand how THAT is possible, but I guess the dr. knows best. I ordered a vaporizer with one of those add in vapor mists for congestion, but that won't arrive until sometime saturday a.m.

And I get that I'm a first time mom and may tend to over react, but that doesn't make the worrying just GO AWAY... no matter how many people tell me "oh, just wait till he gets older....this is nothing"

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
NO she said the same thing, but the saline won't work b/c the infection is all down his throat and the congestion isn't up his nose??? I don't understand how THAT is possible, but I guess the dr. knows best. I ordered a vaporizer with one of those add in vapor mists for congestion, but that won't arrive until sometime saturday a.m.

And I get that I'm a first time mom and may tend to over react, but that doesn't make the worrying just GO AWAY... no matter how many people tell me "oh, just wait till he gets older....this is nothing"

you can easily run to cvs and get a vaporizer for 20 bucks with a tray for the vaor "stuff" that is the number one thing that helped my babykins when she had a little cold. A teeny bit of tylenol, a warm bath, a good vaporizer and cuddling helps. Also, if it is chest congestion, be careful to feed babykins upright, if it is formula, the dairy can make congestion worse..so no laying down right after. He will be fine. :huggy: Seriously though, go get a humidifier now, it helps almost immediately.

pelers

you can easily run to cvs and get a vaporizer for 20 bucks with a tray for the vaor "stuff" that is the number one thing that helped my babykins when she had a little cold. A teeny bit of tylenol, a warm bath, a good vaporizer and cuddling helps. Also, if it is chest congestion, be careful to feed babykins upright, if it is formula, the dairy can make congestion worse..so no laying down right after. He will be fine. :huggy: Seriously though, go get a humidifier now, it helps almost immediately.

Yeah, they have vaporizers at Target, Walmart, CVS, etc. Closing yourselves in the bathroom with a hot, steamy shower also works.

He'll be fine, but I know not being able to do anything to make it better SUCKS. :huggy: Snuggles and lots of sleep!