Too funny!!

highnote

FUNNY= when the pony laid down and started rolling!

NOT FUNNY= kid being dragged on ground with foot in the stirrup, kid getting pinned underneath horse, kid being thrown into arena wall, etc.

I like funny youTube videos but I if I was this kid's parent I certainly wouldn't have posted this on youtube (are they proud of it?). Some clips are funny, yes. But most are scary and NOT funny. There's a difference between the known risks of horseback riding as a sport, and unnecessary stupid risks. I see a lot of stupidity in this clip.

Duckz

That is one TOUGH little kid! Ugh and the clip where he got dragged was caused by an adult running at the pony. Pony was standing still before that.

Wait4It..boom

My heart was racing for this poor little kid. All those clips where he was thrown were hard to watch! That little kid was tough and did great to stay on for the majority of it. Nasty little pony! I wouldn't put my kid on him, especially when the one lady was trying to jump out of the way (with the kid on him!) because she knew he was getting ready to rear or kick out.

poster

That is one TOUGH little kid! Ugh and the clip where he got dragged was caused by an adult running at the pony. Pony was standing still before that.

Not really, he has no good judgement or fear at that age- he's just going on guidance of an adult assuring him this is as he should do. TOUGH that he'll continue to do as told, yes, but this is just flat out dangerous, it's a matter of time before a harmless incident turns tragicly wrong.

He seems tentatively agressive (if that makes any sense) with he pony. He's doing exactly as told but the pony knows the boss is not on his back, they're giving instruction from the sidelines.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
A reeeeeeeally little adult needs to get on and beat his chubby little a$$
Ross gets big Kudos for keeping Ed's head up and avoiding as many bucks as his little arms could.

Wonder what happened to Ed when Ross outgrew him? (Eddie-burgers?)

Our little one's first pony was barn sour as all get out, and did those throw the head down stops intended to get the kid off her. RC got on her, whooped her a good one - his feet nearly touched the ground but no pony was gonna hurt his little girl!, and her attitude changed dramatically. I still had to get on Every so often after that, but she was much better.

Ed is stocky enough for most of those women to hop on him to correct him.

Last edited:

poster

A reeeeeeeally little adult needs to get on and beat his chubby little a$$
Ross gets big Kudos for keeping Ed's head up and avoiding as many bucks as his little arms could.

Wonder what happened to Ed when Ross outgrew him? (Eddie-burgers?)

Our little one's first pony was barn sour as all get out, and did those throw the head down stops intended to get the kid off her. RC got on her, whooped her a good one - his feet nearly touched the ground but no pony was gonna hurt his little girl!, and her attitude changed dramatically. I still had to get on Every so often after that, but she was much better.

Ed is stocky enough for most of those women to hop on him to correct him.

I was thinking the same thing. The kid should be able to give him a smack down, if he can't an adult should do it and if that doesn't do the trick they need a new pony.

Duckz

Not really, he has no good judgement or fear at that age- he's just going on guidance of an adult assuring him this is as he should do.

I beg to differ - I was such a chicken s*** at that age :killingme Mom had me in lessons for three years before I worked up the nerve to canter.

He's wearing a helmet and is properly attired. The pony is being balky and playing tricks on his rider but it doesn't appear that he's trying to kill the kid. I've seen way more offensive youtube videos of kids in flip flops and no helmet crawling all over some poor half-starved animal. Or six year olds barrel racing with no helmets.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Looks like he finally got a better pony too! :yahoo:

He grew a few inches too. The instructor in me wants to pick his position apart though to help him ride better and safer. Worries me to see someone with their foot so far thru the stirrup and not riding with the irons on the ball of their feet. :whistle: The pony is a Saint though continuing to jump even when getting yanked in the mouth over the fences.

devinej

I'm sure an adult has gotten on Ed many a time and Ed knows when the kid is on his back. that is one tough and persistant kid, but gosh, as a parent or trainer i wouldn't want to give him such a frustrating pony to ride. and yes, some of those clips were scary. but you can see that Ed is super careful when the kid does fall off, how he stops and doesn't step on him.

But the frustration didn't appear to make him quit! Ed really makes you appreciate well and even semi-well behaved ponies!

highnote

The pony is a Saint though continuing to jump even when getting yanked in the mouth over the fences.

Yeah I noticed that too. Saw him doing it with ed, and it was no better with the second pony. Maybe that's why ed got to be the way he was! If a horse knows he's going to get yanked in the mouth every ride, I can understand why he may be trying to get his rider off to avoid that.

highnote

but you can see that Ed is super careful when the kid does fall off, how he stops and doesn't step on him.

What about when he decided to roll with the kid still on his back? That didn't seem too careful.

He also dragged the kid when his foot was caught in the stirrup, which was dangerous irregardless of the adult coming towards him.

highnote

I've seen way more offensive youtube videos of kids in flip flops and no helmet crawling all over some poor half-starved animal. Or six year olds barrel racing with no helmets.

Just because you've "seen worse" doesnt make it right. A helmet and a body protector are not going to keep him from breaking bones, injuring his neck, or worse.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Yeah I noticed that too. Saw him doing it with ed, and it was no better with the second pony. Maybe that's why ed got to be the way he was! If a horse knows he's going to get yanked in the mouth every ride, I can understand why he may be trying to get his rider off to avoid that.

I like to put the mildest bit in a horses mouth when beginner students are riding. Mullen mouth is great for riders with uneducated hands or a rubber D or French link. Strengthening his base, riding in 2 point, and having better legs would have made a big difference with little Ed pony & the rider.

Devine agreed the pony wasn't trying to hurt the little guy, but just make him aware he wasn't riding properly. :killingme Would I want to pony for my kids. Probably not. :whistle:

Last edited:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I just thought it was funny how BAD that pony was. I am glad the kid didn't get seriously injured, and I can't imagine putting any child on that pony. I would put a skinny tough rider on him and give him an attitude adjustment though.

paintedpony1234

Horsey Girl
that's how i learned to ride.. my parents bought be a 3 year old untrained pony..got drug around bobby's ring countless times.. don't know what that says about my riding though :shrug:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I'm sure an adult has gotten on Ed many a time and Ed knows when the kid is on his back. that is one tough and persistant kid, but gosh, as a parent or trainer i wouldn't want to give him such a frustrating pony to ride. and yes, some of those clips were scary. but you can see that Ed is super careful when the kid does fall off, how he stops and doesn't step on him.

But the frustration didn't appear to make him quit! Ed really makes you appreciate well and even semi-well behaved ponies!
I was originally thinking we should all chip in and send you out there to straighten that pony out :lol:

for the most part I did notice the pony trying not to step on the the kid once he got him off.