Too Young?

M

Mousebaby

My 2 year old daughter loves horses. Is it too young to get her learning how to ride them?

I don't think so, I started mine young. They know that once they are up there they better hold on. But I started mine on the smallest pony I could find and I walked with the pony holding on to said toddler at the same time. It's also a good idea to have them wear a helmet just in case they fall and you don't have time to catch them. :biggrin:

sockgirl77

I don't think so, I started mine young. They know that once they are up there they better hold on. But I started mine on the smallest pony I could find and I walked with the pony holding on to said toddler at the same time. It's also a good idea to have them wear a helmet just in case they fall and you don't have time to catch them. :biggrin:

Now I just need to find someone that has a small enough pony for her to get started. :clap:

B

Beth_kennedy

We have two daughters (both adults now), and we started them pretty early too. Our oldest started right around 4 with a small pony. She loves horses and still continues to ride.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Yeah, make sure said pony is not a biter, they tend to be cranky sometimes! :lol:

I was about 5 when I took riding lessons. I got bit on the chest by my horse. I screamed for my sister who was a few stalls down. But.. by the end of the day I was quite proud of my wound. My mom almost had a heart attack when I showed her. Apparently they didn't call her to tell her that I had been hurt.

Those memories of horse riding class are some of my fondest. My son wants to start riding and there is a stable in our housing development but don't know if they give lessons and another one down the street that I do know give them because I've seen kids out riding. Son just needs to decide if he wants to ride or play sports because he can't do both.

M

Mousebaby

I was about 5 when I took riding lessons. I got bit on the chest by my horse. I screamed for my sister who was a few stalls down. But.. by the end of the day I was quite proud of my wound. My mom almost had a heart attack when I showed her. Apparently they didn't call her to tell her that I had been hurt.

Those memories of horse riding class are some of my fondest. My son wants to start riding and there is a stable in our housing development but don't know if they give lessons and another one down the street that I do know give them because I've seen kids out riding. Son just needs to decide if he wants to ride or play sports because he can't do both.

My sisters pony just about took my ear off! But I deserved it, I was always pestering that poor pony. I was only 4. I would hold around his neck and just hang there, he finally got sick of it and told me to stop in his own way! :lmao:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My sisters pony just about took my ear off! But I deserved it, I was always pestering that poor pony. I was only 4. I would hold around his neck and just hang there, he finally got sick of it and told me to stop in his own way! :lmao:

I forgave my horse and we went on to come in 2nd place in the trotting contest that day.

ElliesMom

My youngest has been on horses since she was 2, first in front of me on my saddle, then in a buddy saddle behind me. My 7 and 9 year olds ride as well.

Trust (as much as you can have in a horse), a watchful eye and helemts are fabulous things.

sockgirl77

Anyone have any suggestions on places where I can take her? I guess for now I just need to get her used to horses. Everyone I know has big horses. I need to take her somewhere with ponies.

B

Beth_kennedy

Anyone have any suggestions on places where I can take her? I guess for now I just need to get her used to horses. Everyone I know has big horses. I need to take her somewhere with ponies.

Not sure if Moment in time is still open but they were really great a few years back

devinej

A Moment in Time farm has lots of ponies, but doubt they take kids that young. i think most people who start their kids that early have their own horses and ride as well. i've worked with 2 year olds on horses, but they won't have the strength or limb length or thinking ability to really ride till they are 5 or older. you can just get them used to being around them, lead them around, but probably not worth paying for lessons in my opinion

poster

A Moment in Time farm has lots of ponies, but doubt they take kids that young. i think most people who start their kids that early have their own horses and ride as well. i've worked with 2 year olds on horses, but they won't have the strength or limb length or thinking ability to really ride till they are 5 or older. you can just get them used to being around them, lead them around, but probably not worth paying for lessons in my opinion

totally agree.....keep in mind that ponies can be really nasty.
Mini's tend to be nicer and enjoy attention.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
PM PersimmonCF. She'll give you good advice.
:blushing:Gosh Bre

I have to completely agree with Devine. You would be paying for glorified pony rides at this age. Maybe your child was born with the "horse passion" there are fewer kids that are these days than when I was young.
Definately support her interest...you are always welcome to bring her over to pet the ponies

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
There was a teenager over at FIF that had a 2 year old she was teaching. It basically was a glorified pony ride. I am not sure if she teaches there anymore since I have been gone.