Took the Truck in for Service

Got a recall for a brake issue. Nice that it was covered on my 2014 with an expired warranty. Took it in to the original GMC dealer in L'town to have the work done, just a re-programming. While it was there, I asked them to check for a coolant leak that I kept smelling. $129 for a pressure check. Ok, whatever.

Work is all done, the leak is from the overflow tank, new one needed. "Probably should flush the coolant while it's being replaced." "How much?" "$550 for the tank*, fluid and labor." Oh, really...... Ok, thanx, but no thanx.

"Oh, and your throttle body needs cleaning." Hmmmm, I'm sure it does. No thanx.

"Oh, and the air filter needs replacing." Hmmmmm, K&N permanent rechargeable filter. No thanx.

"Oh, and your upper control arm has play in it." Hmmmm... I'll bet it does. No thanx.

They never used to be this aggressive for the "add on" work. Kind of sounds like they didn't even open the air filter box. Reminds me of the old highway bandits that sprayed oil on your shocks and insisted they were leaking and had to be replaced.

* less than $60 on GMPARTSNOW.com

Last edited:

calvcopf

They scare people into wasting thousands of dollars in cleanings and parts they don't really need. People who can't afford it will lose sleep at night wondering if their car is safe to drive, because they actually trust their dealership service scam artists.

Chris0nllyn

Sounds like very other dealer in existence.

I took my car in (still under warranty) to the dealer because the front drivers' side wheel bearing is making noise. After the first trip, they said it was the rear brakes. After asking how that can be, the service writer said "sound travels". After the second time they said "we need more time to look at it" after having it all day. In other words, they didn't look at it and likely never took the wheels off the first time.

Imagine my shock after the sound was still there even after replacing the rear brakes myself.

I never went back. Despite it being under warranty, my time is worth more than dicking around with the dealer 23 times in a week. My dad is a mechanic and I'll use his shop.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Ford tried the $250 throttle-body cleaning on me when I went in for recall work. I asked if they actually checked it because I cleaned last week...uhhhh no it's just a standard maintenance item to clean.

5 minutes later they moved on the lady next to me- Ma'am we notice your throttle body needs cleaning and it could be effecting your performance and gas mileage. I looked at her and shook my head, she declined saying her hubby will do it for free.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Ford tried the $250 throttle-body cleaning on me when I went in for recall work. I asked if they actually checked it because I cleaned last week...uhhhh no it's just a standard maintenance item to clean.
..and the funny part is how incredibly simple the throttle-body is and how it could care less about the oil residue that accumulates over time. It's a stupid butterfly valve...nothing more. Quite the scam they've got going on.

Grumpy

..and the funny part is how incredibly simple the throttle-body is and how it could care less about the oil residue that accumulates over time. It's a stupid butterfly valve...nothing more. Quite the scam they've got going on.
Last one I cleaned, took about 20 minutes ..easy peasy..hard to believe they want $250 to clean it

Last one I cleaned, took about 20 minutes ..easy peasy..hard to believe they want $250 to clean it
Well, they do more than just swab out the butterfly. A can of spray is used and force fed into the passages and eventually to the injectors, so they call it a "fuel system service" for $229. Still only takes a few minutes and a can of cleaner spray. I forgot they also strongly recommended a transfer case and differential flush. $589. Holy Carp.

If I took their advice and had all of the recommended services performed, it would have cost me $1958.

Grumpy

Well, they do more than just swab out the butterfly. A can of spray is used and force fed into the passages and eventually to the injectors, so they call it a "fuel system service" for $229. Still only takes a few minutes and a can of cleaner spray. I forgot they also strongly recommended a transfer case and differential flush. $589. Holy Carp.

If I took their advice and had all of the recommended services performed, it would have cost me $1958.
:lol: last 3 cars I did it to had over 150k on them and all I did was clean the throttle body with PB Blaster a couple times. All ran as good as new. tho I did throw injector cleaner into the tank every 40k miles.

:lol: last 3 cars I did it to had over 150k on them and all I did was clean the throttle body with PB Blaster a couple times. All ran as good as new. tho I did throw injector cleaner into the tank every 40k miles.
If mine needs it, I spray it and wipe it out with a rag and a couple of q-tips.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I forgot they also strongly recommended a transfer case and differential flush. $589. Holy Carp.

:eyebrow:

Unless you are deep water fording ..... there should be no need to go into either, other than to check the fluid level

a diff flush - really

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
:eyebrow:

Unless you are deep water fording ..... there should be no need to go into either, other than to check the fluid level

a diff flush - really
I replaced all the dif, trans and tcase fluids in my Toyota 4x4 pickup with Redline Synthetic. At 175,000 miles. It needed it..LOL

Just realized something.... you know those stickers they put in the corner of your windscreen to remind you to get your oil changed? I had one up there from another place. Had. Bastages removed it yesterday.

glhs837

Power with Control
And this is one reason dealerships want no part of selling electric cars. Hard to seel service on cars with very few service items. Brakes get little to no wear, no differentials, no serviceable coolant, no oil changes, no throttle bodies, no O2 sensors, no transmission to flush. once you remove that profit center from the dealership, they get a bit unhappy. that's what drives statewide dealership associations into protracted legal battles with Tesla.

Had them tell me they checked the diff fluid on my 06 charger, was all worn out. Odd, I mentioned since i had literally done that job myself not two weeks before,

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshua...vs-but-who-will-sell-them-to-us/#70a51aad59c6

50% of a dealers profit comes from service. the other half presumably from selling window VIN etching and bs seat Scotchguard
warranties....