Tooth crowns??

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
My dentist told me today that I need a crown on one of my lower left teeth. Now I'm not afraid of dental work, thanks to Novacaine, but I do NOT like having my "factory equipment" removed. He said the tooth could possibly break or chip if I bite down hard on something. It is not chipped or loose or anything, he just said that there's more filling than tooth.
I've been going to him for 30 years, so I trust him and I told him so, but I really don't think the time is right for this.
He replaced the filling two years ago and the tooth doesn't hurt. My only concern is the area becoming infected because of the crown or it coming loose.
The cost to me isn't much but I just don't like the thought of this. I don't see this as a fool proof procedure and I see lots of problems ahead.
Any success or horror stories? Thanks folks!

Wenchy

Hot Flash
My dentist told me today that I need a crown on one of my lower left teeth. Now I'm not afraid of dental work, thanks to Novacaine, but I do NOT like having my "factory equipment" removed. He said the tooth could possibly break or chip if I bite down hard on something. It is not chipped or loose or anything, he just said that there's more filling than tooth.
I've been going to him for 30 years, so I trust him and I told him so, but I really don't think the time is right for this.
He replaced the filling two years ago and the tooth doesn't hurt. My only concern is the area becoming infected because of the crown or it coming loose.
The cost to me isn't much but I just don't like the thought of this. I don't see this as a fool proof procedure and I see lots of problems ahead.

You are very lucky that you have a dentist you trust and have had for 30 years.

Nothing is worse than a cracked/infected tooth. Labor pains were mild compared to that (for me)

I think you should listen to your dentist. JMO

I currently have two temporary crowns (I did have a root canal before the placement) and will have my permanents in several months. No infections or issues since.

Also, a crown does not replace your factory equipment. It simply covers and protects the root structure of the tooth.

Last edited:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I have gold crowns on 2 bottom molars. Cracked teeth were too painful. Both teeth are still 'living' and I've had one of the crowns for almost 20 years now.

D

dems4me

Nothing is worse than a cracked/infected tooth. QUOTE]

:yeahthat: Also if you are worried about losing the tooth it sounds like from your post most of the tooth is gone already :shrug: You said its mostly filling anyways :shrug: Get the crown and protect the root! :huggy: If you think getting a crown is no fun, rootcanals are worse. :yay: :buddies:

foodcritic

I had some pain above a tooth (upper) and radiated down to lower jaw. The tooth was very sensitive. The dentist did the "cold" test......:yikes:

She took a pic. and saw an infection from the tooth. Tooth had been filled a couple years ago. You could see on the x-ray how close the root was to the filling. This can lead to potentially causing the root to go bad. Told me that I would need a root canal (first one) and cap/crown. First visit to surgeon, did most the work but because of the infection the Novocaine did not last and I had to come back a week later to finish the job.

Went back to dentist...same practice different Dr. for cleaning. He put a permanent filling in. I asked about the cap and he said I did not need it at this time......so that saved me $$$$.

dawn

I have a crown on my front top tooth. I was eating a french fry when the tooth cracked 24 years ago. I have had the same crown for the entire time, it has endured 5 years of braces and still looked great. Last night my crown broke....went to the dentist this am, the crown actually did not break, it was the tooth inside that broke and made the crown come off! He recemented it back on and I was on my way. We discussed getting a new one as crowns generally should be replaced before 24 years, but he said this one still looks great and wasnt necessary to replace, but I did opt to get a new one.....I will go for an impression in two weeks so we can order a new one!

My crown has only come off two times, once was yesterday and the other time, was at an actual cleaning at the dentist! I can only tell that I have had success and nothing horror (well until yesterday when it fell out)! :yay:

C

CTBburn

One teeny weeny little crack, even a microscopic one, can lead to an abcessed tooth and they are HORRIBLE! I had veneers put on my teeth, one ended up abcessing, and half of my face swelled up. The pain was just awful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

I love going to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned but now I am a big baby about my teeth. I totally understand the factory hardware stuff - if you ever want to know about veneers, I can share some pretty gruesome stuff.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Nothing is worse than a cracked/infected tooth. Labor pains were mild compared to that (for me)
I think you should listen to your dentist. JMO
I currently have two temporary crowns (I did have a root canal before the placement) and will have my permanents in several months. No infections or issues since.
Also, a crown does not replace your factory equipment. It simply covers and protects the root structure of the tooth.
Thanks Wenchy, I didn't realize that, but you're right. It doesn't replace the tooth, it actually protects the root. Even though the tooth can not ever be used again, it sure beats the alternative: implants.
I've spoken to a couple of people and they said the same thing. Better a crown than a broken tooth and extraction.
I found this guy in 1980 by calling (1 800 doctors) and they highly recommended him. I like to find good people and stick with them as long as possible and he's always been very good to me.
She took a pic. and saw an infection from the tooth. Tooth had been filled a couple years ago. You could see on the x-ray how close the root was to the filling. This can lead to potentially causing the root to go bad. Told me that I would need a root canal (first one) and cap/crown. First visit to surgeon, did most the work but because of the infection the Novocaine did not last and I had to come back a week later to finish the job.
Went back to dentist...same practice different Dr. for cleaning. He put a permanent filling in. I asked about the cap and he said I did not need it at this time......so that saved me $$$$.
Unfortunately my tooth is about 50% filling and 50% tooth so I doubt he'll refill it. Two years ago he was hollowing out the tooth without anesthesia (my suggestion) but he did not hit the root, so I know he didn't go too deep. Today he found a corner of the tooth that could possibly chip off so he highly recommended a crown.
I have a crown on my front top tooth. I was eating a french fry when the tooth cracked 24 years ago. I have had the same crown for the entire time, it has endured 5 years of braces and still looked great. Last night my crown broke....went to the dentist this am, the crown actually did not break, it was the tooth inside that broke and made the crown come off! He recemented it back on and I was on my way. We discussed getting a new one as crowns generally should be replaced before 24 years, but he said this one still looks great and wasnt necessary to replace, but I did opt to get a new one.....I will go for an impression in two weeks so we can order a new one!
My crown has only come off two times, once was yesterday and the other time, was at an actual cleaning at the dentist! I can only tell that I have had success and nothing horror (well until yesterday when it fell out)! :yay:
Thank you Dawn; that was my main concern. If mine lasts 24 years it might outlast me. He put some resin on the side of a couple of my teeth because of sensitivity and that worked great but it does wear off with time.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
:yeahthat: Also if you are worried about losing the tooth it sounds like from your post most of the tooth is gone already :shrug: You said its mostly filling anyways :shrug: Get the crown and protect the root! :huggy: If you think getting a crown is no fun, rootcanals are worse. :yay: :buddies:
:yay: I've heard about root canals last year and I told him "ain't gonna happen in this mouth"! I've heard the horror stories about them babies!
He actually calls me "Mr Boring mouth" because they're soo white and straight and he hardly has to clean them at all. I take meticulous care of my teeth and it makes me mad that I'm about to lose one (sort of) because of my childhood obsession with Bonomo Turkish Taffy.
Thanks everybody for the insight.
Did you all get any options for the crown material? He mentioned metal or gold; is he nuts? I want a white one so it matches the others!

D

dems4me

:yay: I've heard about root canals last year and I told him "ain't gonna happen in this mouth"! I've heard the horror stories about them babies!
He actually calls me "Mr Boring mouth" because they're soo white and straight and he hardly has to clean them at all. I take meticulous care of my teeth and it makes me mad that I'm about to lose one (sort of) because of my childhood obsession with Bonomo Turkish Taffy.
Thanks everybody for the insight.
Did you all get any options for the crown material? He mentioned metal or gold; is he nuts? I want a white one so it matches the others!

I dont know... I'd guess porcelleon (sp?) :shrug:

Vince

Got lots of crowns in my mouth. Not a big deal. Get it done. Dentist told me I had cracks in one of my teeth, showed me on the pictures. He said sooner or later it would break off. He was absolutely right. It did. Get the crown done.

I've had 2 crowns, both front uppers, since I was in 6th grade. Busted my teeth on ice one winter. At this point, I don't even remember half the time that they are capped.

As an adult, I had to have 3 crowns put in since last year. I had one tooth fracture requiring a crown. The changed pressure from the crown caused the tooth under it to fracture. Fortunately, I did not need root canals. The crowns feel different and take a little getting used to, but it's way better than a cracked tooth.

hotcoffee

My dad owned a dental lab.... I worked for him for a few years.... I made cast metal removable partials... Daddy made porcelin crowns.... we had others in the lab that made dentures, mouth guards etc.

I was in a car accident and messed up 5 of my front top teeth. I had a plastic crown for several years [before Dad retired from the Navy and opened his lab]. It was supposed to last 10 days. It was in the 70's and I even blew shotguns with my plastic crowns.... it lasted for 5 years. I lost a tooth to the left of my crowns.

When I moved back closer to home and worked for Dad.... a dentist finished replacing the plastic crowns with porcelin crowns and a bridge. The four crowns lasted 20 years. The bridge was almost impossible to keep clean and I lost it after 5 years.

If you are going to get crowns.... I would suggest you have the root canals done first. If they are going to last 20 years, gum disease or other health related issues may cause the root to become inflamed. No one wants to remove a crown. Having the root canal first eliminates a huge percentage of possible issues.

Final word.... save your teeth as long as you can.... pain associated with Lyme Disease caused me to go to full plates and it's a real drag....:popcorn:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
My gold crowns do not show when I smile. That's the real test if you don't want gold showing. I'm very happy with them and have no problems. I have, however, told my kids that they each get one as an inheritance :killingme