Topwater Fishing on the Potomac

Caution

Heading out on the Potomac today to try to do some topwater fishing. Will likely be in the area somewhere around Piney Point.

Was wondering if anyone on here has been doing any topwater fishing for Rock & Blue and if so what lures have you been having the most luck with.

I do a lot of Trolling or Bottom fishing so working topwater is kinda new to me.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Heading out on the Potomac today to try to do some topwater fishing. Will likely be in the area somewhere around Piney Point.

Was wondering if anyone on here has been doing any topwater fishing for Rock & Blue and if so what lures have you been having the most luck with.

I do a lot of Trolling or Bottom fishing so working topwater is kinda new to me.

I use a floating/shallow broken back minnow (blue/grey), about 5" long and hit just outside the creeks mouth. Have pretty good luck with it.

Caution

I use a floating/shallow broken back minnow (blue/grey), about 5" long and hit just outside the creeks mouth. Have pretty good luck with it.

I raided my son's tackle box and got a few things to play with. Will stop by the Tackle box and try your suggestion.

Spent the last 4 days tearing down about 30 reels and cleaning, lubed and greased everything. I have my fingers crossed that I put them all back together right. :killingme

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I raided my son's tackle box and got a few things to play with. Will stop by the Tackle box and try your suggestion.

Spent the last 4 days tearing down about 30 reels and cleaning, lubed and greased everything. I have my fingers crossed that I put them all back together right. :killingme

Good luck. I usually head north from PP and hit all the creeks up towards Breton Bay

Caution

Good luck. I usually head north from PP and hit all the creeks up towards Breton Bay

I go with the Stepfather and he has called a few Charter Boat captains and I think he is looking at trailering the boat and putting in at Point Lookout now and heading over to work the VA side of the mouth of the river and maybe in the bay. Kind of a long haul for us to take the boat down there from Herring Creek. Looks to be a good day. SCA is supposed to expire at noon with diminishing winds.

Better than being around the house whether we catch fish or not. :yay:

bcp

In My Opinion
Cant go wrong with a hopkins. I use a 4 inch, cast out from the boat and reel it back in slow

Caution

Cant go wrong with a hopkins. I use a 4 inch, cast out from the boat and reel it back in slow
We changed the plan. As soon as we cleared the creek mouth we started marking fish down below 20' so we started trolling and have already set rods up for jigging. Plenty on the scope, just nothing biting yet.

I should never have cleaned the poles and reels. Jinxed us.

Still trying though

Caution

Kinda bad pic but....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 88

Caution

Yep water temps just ain't low enough right now. Scope is loaded and we have not even gotten a bite. Another captain just chatted us up on the radio. He has been out since one and had no luck trolling either.

Caution

Well that was a bust. Stopped trolling and tried to do some jigging in areas the scope marked loaded with fish. Not a bite. Still better than being around the house

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Well that was a bust. Stopped trolling and tried to do some jigging in areas the scope marked loaded with fish. Not a bite. Still better than being around the house
Caught these trolling on the Patuxent yesterday and 4 more today. Haven't been on the Potomac yet. Maybe next weekend.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 86

Caution

Caught these trolling on the Patuxent yesterday and 4 more today. Haven't been on the Potomac yet. Maybe next weekend.

We never got so much as a bite. Only thing we got was hung up on what we think is someone's lost fish net over in about 40' of water on the VA side around Sandy Point. Lost 3 rigs in one snag. Marked it on the fish finder.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
We never got so much as a bite. Only thing we got was hung up on what we think is someone's lost fish net over in about 40' of water on the VA side around Sandy Point. Lost 3 rigs in one snag. Marked it on the fish finder.
We had to work for them. Todays 4 took all day and those 3 yesterday took 6 hours.

Caution

We had to work for them. Todays 4 took all day and those 3 yesterday took 6 hours.
I'll take a day of slow biting fish or even no biting. Beats fiddling around the house.

Water was not too bad on the VA side. A bit choppy on our side though.

image-971802303.jpg

Last edited: