Tornado article

Carm

I got a horse again!! :)
Did anybody read the article about the Canterbury's in yesterday's Post. I would like opinions. I would give you the link but I couldn't find it. It's in the Metro section "Still Struggling, 5 years After S.Md. Tornado.
When I was in financial trouble I sold my horse, for his well being, and mine. It broke my heart, but if we truly love them we will do what is best for them. Just my opinion

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
"People say, 'Why don't you just sell them off?' " James said recently as he sat with Susan around a wooden dinette table in their smoke-filled trailer. "But this is our life. That's what we're known for. We have some of the finest Arabians in the country, and you want us to sell off our dream because we can't get the help we are due?"...

...The Canterburys bitterly blame the government for their predicament....

..."What the hell right does the government have to do this to people?" James screamed, walking behind the kitchen cabinet to hide his tears....

..."We keep thinking something good is going to happen. We're ####eyed optimists -- what can I say?" Susan said as she checked on her horses. "Damn it, could somebody help me here?"..
My God! Are there really people like this that think they are OWED a new life because of a natural disaster? Have they never heard of personal responsibility? This is liberalism run rampant! "The government is the solution to all the bad things that happen in life." It was bad for a heck of a lot of people but most of us set about fixing our lives and moving on instead of wallowing in self pity because the government (that's you and me) isn't doing everything for them. I sincerely hope the tone of this article was the fanciful creation of a typical Washington Post bleeding heart style section reporter, but I fear it is not.

bashley2274

Personnally, I know that it would be really hard to let go of my horses if I ever got into finacial problems, but I wouldn't be able to watch them suffer. I think it would be more painful not being able to care for them properly then just letting them go...

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
bashley2274 said:
Personnally, I know that it would be really hard to let go of my horses if I ever got into finacial problems, but I wouldn't be able to watch them suffer. I think it would be more painful not being able to care for them properly then just letting them go...
Of course it's hard. I never intended to imply that it's not a very difficult time but when bad things happen you have to take stock of all your options, make the best decisions based on your view of the situation, and move on. Relying on the government to make all things right, especially after a natural disaster, is an insidious disease affecting far too many members of society today.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

The info in the article doesn't add up. They own land which they've sold pieces of yet still can't fund their own recovery...yet can afford to board 25 horses?? I'd be stressed to board 2. I sympathize with their situation but they need to do what's best for the horses and their own failing health. They can still have the dream of owning horses with one. We'd all like a herd, it's just not practical for most.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
wmburdette said:
My God! Are there really people like this that think they are OWED a new life because of a natural disaster? Have they never heard of personal responsibility? This is liberalism run rampant! "The government is the solution to all the bad things that happen in life." It was bad for a heck of a lot of people but most of us set about fixing our lives and moving on instead of wallowing in self pity because the government (that's you and me) isn't doing everything for them. I sincerely hope the tone of this article was the fanciful creation of a typical Washington Post bleeding heart style section reporter, but I fear it is not.
:cheers: Thank you. This is certainly a heartbreaking situation...BUT there are many of us out there that pay a LOT of money each year for INSURANCE to help protect our financial welfare in the event of a natural disaster. The majority of us don't look to the government to bail us out, we plan ahead for the Just In Case. And if I were to get in a bind??? Regardless of how good I thought I have bred my little herd into quality animals...they would be sold off 1 by 1 and if the opportunity presented itself to rebuild, thats what I would do. But hey, if they get a bail out, I will contact Omally too....because the government needs to buy me an Indoor Arena! (heated please!) :killingme

bashley2274

wmburdette said:
Of course it's hard. I never intended to imply that it's not a very difficult time but when bad things happen you have to take stock of all your options, make the best decisions based on your view of the situation, and move on. Relying on the government to make all things right, especially after a natural disaster, is an insidious disease affecting far too many members of society today.

Oh, I completely agree with you! I think that the first thing they should have done when they started having money trouble was start selling their horses, instead of waiting on financial aid from the government! I think they really got themselves into this horrible situation. It seems that they could have sold some of their horses and avoided a lot of this mess…

I was just saying that I know it would be hard to pick and choose which ones to sell or get rid of, but sometimes that is something you have to do… EXSPECIALLY if you can’t afford to take care of them properly.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
bashley2274 said:
I was just saying that I know it would be hard to pick and choose which ones to sell or get rid of, but sometimes that is something you have to do… EXSPECIALLY if you can’t afford to take care of them properly.
Agree completely. ...as with so many others, a string of bad decisions and now the horses are having to suffer the consequences.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
BadGirl said:
Maybe they are originally from New Orleans? :shrug:

:lmao:

OMG, It's sad for them but sounds like they just sat back waiting for their handouts. They are selfish, the love for their horses should have come first. Allowing them to starve and go w/o needed medical treatment is plain neglect. :confused:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Let me put it this way.... nothing in the past 15 yrs has changed about the way they handle their affairs or thier horses...nuff said from me

Tazgirl

"They rent stable space for the 25 horses they still own"

If they can afford to rent space for 25 horses then they are in better financial shape then I will ever be. It's all I can do to keep two horses. They need to put this in prespective and sell all but a couple of these horses and start putting there live's back together.

TAZ

Loper

Animal Poor!
It sounds to me like they had money problems to begin with and are using the excuse of the tornado to get the government to take care of them. I would also question why they were charged with "torture" of the three mares that were taken away? Was it a result of the tornado or how they were treated? Plus 22 acres is not enough land to hold 32 horses to begin with, in my opinion. I feel sorry for the horses though, they have to deal with whatever humans they end up with, and as we all know some humans should never be allowed to reproduce let alone own animals! On the other hand I don't know the people and in their hearts they might think they are doing the right thing, but it sounds more to me like selfishness and ignorance on their part.