"Toxic" EBay bracelet almost ruins women’s life

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Jo Wollacott, from Bridport, says her life is now back on track | This is Dorset

A mum has told how a “toxic” bracelet which caused a public health scare has ruined her life – causing her to lose her boyfriend, home and job.

Horrified Jo Wollacott, 40, suffered abscesses, hives and hallucinations after buying the toxic Jequirity bean bracelet online two years ago.

She lost her business and car, had to downsize her home, split up with her boyfriend and even had to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act.

Mother-of-two Ms Wollacott thought it was down to bad luck until she read a public health warning about the bracelets, revealing they contained banned toxin abrin.

The substance is prohibited under the Terrorism Act because just three micrograms of the drug could kill if swallowed – 75 times smaller than a fatal dose of ricin.

Ms Wollacott’s life is now back on track after she removed the bracelet – and she firmly believes the bangle was the cause of her misfortune.

She said: “I feel like I have lost two years of my life to this bracelet.

“It has been a nightmare. Everybody around me thought my life was just spiralling out of control because I was going through a stressful time. But now I realise that my problems started when I bought this bracelet. I am now finally trying to get my life back together.”