Toying with the possibilities...

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Alright, I have seen some of the younger peeps on this board talk about apprentice programs and riding / training opportunities. So it got me to thinking...and now I am considering the possibility of a young, but very capable, rider wanting a variety of experience with horses to come to my farm and work/learn for the summer. This would be a summer only opportunity as my regular riders will be back in the fall...pay would be pretty much next to nuthin, but the experience gained could be huge. So, has anyone tried this, have any suggestions on how to make it work (beyond the liability issues on behalf of both parties), or any horror stories which would make me say "No Way!" and run from the thought???? Lemme hear it!:coffee:

IntegritysDream

ill do it! Id love too get experience on training diff horses and learn more things so eventully i can have enough experience to make money off of it when i ride/train for other people!

Last edited:

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
If I'm not mistaken, is this your farm? Home
I know I saw that Buckskin mare "Gracie" (under for sale) on here before..

Sparks

You think one of these youngin's would like to come to my farm? They could gain immeasurable experience. Masters in mucking perhaps? :lmao:

Just kidding with the kiddies :huggy:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
If I'm not mistaken, is this your farm? Home
I know I saw that Buckskin mare "Gracie" (under for sale) on here before..

Yes...thats my place. As for Gracie....she is an awesome girl...but she cast herself and scratched herself pretty good last night. Right when she was going well again, now we have to wait a week or so for her wounds to close. Luckily it was nothing too bad. We bought her sire last year, and plan to have at least 6 babies from him next year!

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
are the horses english or western? I would LOVE to learn how to train a wp horse... where are you located?

Our horses are primarily english, we breed for size, conformation, movement and disposition (all factors weighed equally). I try to breed them 16 plus hands, but we always have the exception if the mare is a superstar

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Yea, she looks like a nice girl. :)
And I would like to compliment you on your stallion, as he is one of the few double dilute Quarter Horse studs that I actually like. :buddies: Most other farms seem to be blinded by the color, and don't have sights for much else. Pretty much the things that actually matter (conformation, movement, temperment, etc.). :rolleyes:

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Well thank you on the Starbuck compliments! Searched high and low...I never was one to breed for color, but when we found him it seemed like an unbelievable mixture...I have never found a proven performer like him before that is also a genetic color guarentee like him. For us he is truly a needle in a haystack find. I was so pleased when he came to Md, all that I had looked into was true as far as performance record and genetics, and he is the best dispositioned stallion I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I can't wait until 2009!

jamesbond007

Alright, I have seen some of the younger peeps on this board talk about apprentice programs and riding / training opportunities. So it got me to thinking...and now I am considering the possibility of a young, but very capable, rider wanting a variety of experience with horses to come to my farm and work/learn for the summer. This would be a summer only opportunity as my regular riders will be back in the fall...pay would be pretty much next to nuthin, but the experience gained could be huge. So, has anyone tried this, have any suggestions on how to make it work (beyond the liability issues on behalf of both parties), or any horror stories which would make me say "No Way!" and run from the thought???? Lemme hear it!:coffee:

I would lovee to come out and ride. Thats what i'm looking for. Something that i'll learn alot from, money isn't the issue, its doing what you love, and learning more from it.

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
I would lovee to come out and ride. Thats what i'm looking for. Something that i'll learn alot from, money isn't the issue, its doing what you love, and learning more from it.

same here... but i almost have 2 shows a weekend (more but i cant make it to both...) so what ever little money i get goes to the show bills (mom dosnt pay). I would LOVE to do it BUT she lives too far for me... i would probably use more gas money then what i would earn, though i REALLY want to learn how to train a show horse ( a really good one)...