Toyota has an epiphany. And not in a good way

glhs837

Power with Control

“Taking the skin off the Model Y, it was truly a work of art. It’s unbelievable,” the executive said.

A Toyota executive described Tesla’s approach to the Model Y as a “whole different manufacturing philosophy.”

“We need a new platform designed as a blank-sheet EV,” the executive said.

Its funny to see the light bulb come on as old companies realize exactly what they are up against. Constant relentless rapid innovation. Nobodies done that since Henry back around the turn of the century.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Car companies are constantly doing stupid things - like removing the spare tire from the back and taking up cargo space with it. The only new vehicle I've seen that I'm liking is the Hyundai Santa Cruz. A guy I work with has one and he loves it, and it's similar to the Chevy Avalanche that I've been coveting and they no longer make. But they come in super boring colors - white, gray, black, and silver. Bleh.

glhs837

Power with Control
Car companies are constantly doing stupid things - like removing the spare tire from the back and taking up cargo space with it. The only new vehicle I've seen that I'm liking is the Hyundai Santa Cruz. A guy I work with has one and he loves it, and it's similar to the Chevy Avalanche that I've been coveting and they no longer make. But they come in super boring colors - white, gray, black, and silver. Bleh.

The Santa Cruz in more akin to the old El Camino size wise than the Avalanche, but they are damn good looking. And depending on your use case, exactly the sweet spot of size and utility. I imagine they will be a huge hit with the RV crowds as tow behinds. Spares is always a touchy subject. I think I've had one flat in the last 15 years. Summer of 2007. I'm fine with the compressor/goo kits, backed up with a pair of pliers to pull the item and a rope plug in case the hole is oddlly shaped.