'Traditional family' mural in RI deemed offensive

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
High School Teen Liz Bierendy's Mural Of Traditional Family Unit Stirs Trouble At Rhode Island School

For the piece, artist Liz Bierendy painted the progression of a man from childhood to fatherhood. The mural concludes with an image of the man smiling with his wife and son.

But school officials briefly considered painting over the mural because they felt the 17-year-old's depiction of family wasn't representative of "the life experiences of many of the students," WPRO reports.
What kind of mural would have been acceptable? Anything?

bcp

In My Opinion
Hate to be the one to burst the pansy ass liberals bubble (ok, I actually enjoy bursting their bubble) but, the traditional family is a man, wife and children should they desire (or had by accident because the government wouldnt supply them with a rubber or BC pills) have them.

If you want to raise a family as two women, or two men, or if some unfortunate event causes a woman or a man to be left raising the child by themselves, that is not a traditional family unit.

perhaps they have a problem with the word traditional?

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Hate to be the one to burst the pansy ass liberals bubble (ok, I actually enjoy bursting their bubble) but, the traditional family is a man, wife and children should they desire (or had by accident because the government wouldnt supply them with a rubber or BC pills) have them.

If you want to raise a family as two women, or two men, or if some unfortunate event causes a woman or a man to be left raising the child by themselves, that is not a traditional family unit.

perhaps they have a problem with the word traditional?

"Traditional" may be changing.....

Link.

"ATLANTA -- Health officials say nearly 1 in 4 babies are born to unmarried couples who are living together, a significant jump from a decade ago.

The government previously said more than 40 percent of births are to unwed mothers. But a report released Thursday offers new detail showing most unwed births occur in cohabiting couples.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study was based on face-to-face interviews with more than 22,000 men and women during 2006 through 2010.

About 23 percent of the reported births were to unmarried heterosexual couples who were living together when the child was born. That was up from 14 percent when a similar study was done in 2002. The CDC did not speculate on reasons for the increase."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Allow me:

tra·di·tion·al/trəˈdiSHənl/
Adjective:

1. Existing in or as part of a tradition; long-established.
  2. Produced, done, or used in accordance with tradition.

Tradition does not change, nor do trends dictate what is traditional.

bcp

In My Opinion

Link.

"ATLANTA -- Health officials say nearly 1 in 4 babies are born to unmarried couples who are living together, a significant jump from a decade ago.

The government previously said more than 40 percent of births are to unwed mothers. But a report released Thursday offers new detail showing most unwed births occur in cohabiting couples.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study was based on face-to-face interviews with more than 22,000 men and women during 2006 through 2010.

About 23 percent of the reported births were to unmarried heterosexual couples who were living together when the child was born. That was up from 14 percent when a similar study was done in 2002. The CDC did not speculate on reasons for the increase."

So it is the definition of Traditional that is giving you a problem?
Traditional is not what it is, but what it has been. when looking at the history of man, a change monitored for a four year period would be more likely considered a trend, traditional reaches much farther into the past.

Oberon

It's a shame that anyone would complain about that, and even more of a shame that the school would bow to the complainers so easily. Just because the artist depicted one path through life doesn't mean she's implying that's the only acceptable path.

bcp

In My Opinion
Allow me:

Adjective:

:bann:

I think you posted that while I was typing my response.

oh and I like to click on the actual smilie when I click on them, the :bann: smilie makes me chase it around. Not that that makes a difference in anything.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Ironic that Liz, the artist, is not from a traditional family herself. Like it or not, there is comfort in our traditions, and most people do prefer stability over chaos.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Reading the story without the HuffPo #### stirring, the only one who had an issue with it is an assistant principal who was promptly ##### slapped by the superintendent.

Student artist decides not to change controversial mural | Rhode Island Breaking News, RI Politics, Top Stories | Text WPRO to 68255 for mobile news.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Allow me:

Adjective:

Yeah, buddy. In five or six thousand years from now, when the majority of families are from self-induced whatevers to spawn another human being, then maybe the meaning of "traditional" today can just be shucked away as an ancient, meaningless word.

Until then, all these perps and jerks that want to tell the vast majority of people how to live can just shuck themselves into the wasteland of human misery. Where they belong.

Last edited:
E

EmptyTimCup

just because it is happening more does not make it right ....

Retrodeb54

Surely you jest ...
Its an art project, no more no less. She has a right to her interpretation of the 'traditional family'. Its amazing what a bored group of people will try to make into something wrong. So much animosity in this world anymore, people LOOK for anything to leap on. Now a young girl attacked for beautiful art. Where will it end? *sigh*

:coffee:

I went to elementary school with a kid who had a nude painting of his mother over the fireplace.

No one ever made them take it down because it was 'nontraditional'. In fact, we used to play over there as often as possible.... :biggrin:

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever

Number of births by homosexual couples by natural means - Zero.

What I don't understand is why the tree loving liberals don't see the creation of human life as something that should be protected and NATURAL. I guess global warming and what kids eat in school is more important than a depiction of a traditional family, which btw is a white mom, dad, son and daughter.