Traffic Rant Traffic Rant of the Day (can we get a sticky?)

BernieP

Resident PIA
Driving north this morning I saw something at gate 2 I just had to laugh about - not so much get angry or "rant".
But felt the incident was worth sharing, for the irony.
Anyway, can we just save time and sticky this so it can be used on a more or less daily if not sooner basis?

I'm waiting to go straight at the light on NB 235 at Gate 2. SB 235 is making their left into the base and wouldn't you know it, someone blocks the right lane.
Not just any old someone, a MSP Trooper. Wonder if he wrote himself up?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Most likely didn't get the memo from the Sheriff not to block the intersection. Because as we all know, laws do not apply to the "law enforcers".

Tech

Driving north this morning I saw something at gate 2 I just had to laugh about - not so much get angry or "rant".
But felt the incident was worth sharing, for the irony.
Anyway, can we just save time and sticky this so it can be used on a more or less daily if not sooner basis?

I'm waiting to go straight at the light on NB 235 at Gate 2. SB 235 is making their left into the base and wouldn't you know it, someone blocks the right lane.
Not just any old someone, a MSP Trooper. Wonder if he wrote himself up?
Up there with on the day that cellphone use was banned in vehicles, car weaving in the lanes on 235. Unmarked statie on his phone.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Did you ever notice that any driver going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone driving faster than you is a lunatic?

Today's laugh of the day brought to you by George Carlin,

Had the pleasure of watching Diesel Dan in his heavy duty work truck, pulling a big trailer with a small backhoe / bobcast in the trailer.
DD liked jumping on it, and weaving in and out of traffic. While I will admit slower vehicles in the middle and left lanes can be frustrating, the speed limit is 45 and I think pretty much everone was at 50 or maybe a bit above (so not slow.
Everytime he switched lanes, he'ld jump on it, leave a large cloud of dark smoke and squealed. Not sure if it was his tires from the quick lane change or belts slipping.
More power to him, I though for sure he'd roll that trailer on a lane change.

MiddleGround

Yesterday (4/17)

Sitting first at red light in far right travel lane on NB235 at Town Creek Rd. SUV of St. Mary's finest (uniformed and marked) sitting on Town Creek Rd to my right waiting for light as well (to go to Walmart??)

Light turns green for me. Out of nowhere, Toyota SUV comes through the "turn only" lane at about 60MPH straight thru the intersection!

Sheriff does NOTHING!

I slowly drive through the intersection looking to my right (directly at Sheriff) with one hand in the air pointing at the offender and I scream "You gonna do something about that?"

(His window was open as well as my passenger window)

Never even moved!!! SMDH!!

THAT.... THAT is why there are so many accidents. Idiot drivers and lackluster performance by law enforcement. PERIOD!

BernieP

Resident PIA
Off Duty.

FWIW, also NB on 235. Was riding along in middle lane passing Esperanza shooping center when Diesel Dan in Dually decides he's going to make an entrance. Big truck, he skipped the turn lane and I had to break and swerve to avoid getting clipped. DDD then proceeds to fire it up and make a dash for the left lane. Traffic wasn't heavy, and he could have waited, but he merged, forced others to break, swerve and avoid him, but he used size and noise to save himself the wait.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The State Police manage aggressive driving by setting up speed traps in Lex. Park and Leonardtown on Saturday mornings so they can catch people doing 45 in a 40 zone when traffic is light.
This, and because it's such a good business they make an illegal U Turn at Pegg Rd / Gate 1 to go NB to reset the trap.
The last time I checked the red circle with a slash through it meant NO, Don't Do it.
Lights weren't on, no sirens, didn't really speed off. 4 cars, marked MSP, unmarked MSP and two county black and whites, all mae a U turn.

glhs837

Power with Control
The State Police manage aggressive driving by setting up speed traps in Lex. Park and Leonardtown on Saturday mornings so they can catch people doing 45 in a 40 zone when traffic is light.

Yep, every Sat or Sunday morning, becuase thats when the crashes happen. I will say in their defense that they generally us a 10mph over buffer, but at that, they can pick and choose folks going 55 and up all day long. Which really means that 45 is too low and most likely not based on a a traffic survey as the NHTSA recommends.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Which really means that 45 is too low and most likely not based on a a traffic survey as the NHTSA recommends.
I doubt there is any juridiction that sets the speed limit that way. First, my experience is the state controls at the least the rules, the maximum limit for the type of road. Then local authorities can set lower limits if they determine they are necesssary.
I think most people don't realize that the speed limit changes by 10mph at route 4, it drops by 10 coming south and goes up to 55 heading north.
But south of Great Mills Rd it only goes to 50. 5 MPH difference, hmmm, does it make a difference.

MiddleGround

because they aren't off duty even when they are.

Who's on first?
What's on Second??

They are either on duty and in their tax-funded ride to catch criminals and law breakers OR they are off duty? Which is it? If they are able to joy ride around town on the tax payer's dime then they should be able to perform their duties!

BernieP

Resident PIA
Who's on first?
What's on Second??

They are either on duty and in their tax-funded ride to catch criminals and law breakers OR they are off duty? Which is it? If they are able to joy ride around town on the tax payer's dime then they should be able to perform their duties!
Aren't they always "on duty"? That's what we've been led to believe.
I was being sarcastic. Technically they are off duty if they aren't scheduled. I have seen deputies in a patrol vehicle running errands

glhs837

Power with Control
Some folks have issues with the take home car program. Not me, I think it's a wise use of resources. Whatever little additional mileage they rack up is more than compensated for by the care they give a car that "belongs" to them. And the additional deterrent factor that having that car out in public brings, however slight.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think there have already been accidents at Smoke Hill & Wildewood Parkway so I can't say, "IF THEY DON'T GET AIRPORT RD OPEN SOON there will be an accident ..."

Traffic in Wildewood is insane. They have a flagman there now, but the people coming from the business park believe they have the right of way.
That stop sign was getting ignored. Flagman seems to feel his job is to stop traffic on the parkway for the benefit of the people who work in the business park. Factor in all the school buses and the normal residential and commercial traffic for the several thousand people living there.

BAM