St. Mary's Co. Traffic Tip Tuesday: Blocking Intersections

With over 120 years of experience, their team of lawyers and experienced legal support professionals work to help you in a time of legal need.

Motorists in St. Mary’s County are reminded to adhere to Maryland state traffic laws which prohibit the blocking of intersections or skirting around traffic signals.

Sec. 21-1003 of Maryland Vehicle Law states that “a person may not stop, stand, or park a vehicle in an intersection.” In other words, vehicles may not be stopped in an intersection, blocking the right of way for other drivers.

The fine for blocking an intersection is $70.

Furthermore, motorists are not permitted to navigate around signalized intersections to avoid stopping. Sec. 21-201 states “the driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection controlled by a traffic control device may not drive across private property or leave the roadway for the purpose of avoiding the instructions of a traffic control device.”

Leaving the highway to use a side street, or a parking lot to circumvent a traffic signal is illegal.

The fine for avoiding traffic signals at an intersection is $90 and 1 point assessed on a driver’s license or $130 and 3 points on a license if contributing to an accident.

St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron asks that drivers on local roadways to obey traffic laws and utilize patience on their daily commutes to avoid collisions and unsafe driving behaviors.

Disclaimer: In the U.S.A., all persons accused of a crime by the State are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. See: https://so.md/presumed-innocence. Additionally, all of the information provided above is solely from the perspective of the respective law enforcement agency and does not provide any direct input from the accused or persons otherwise mentioned. You can find additional information about the case by searching the Maryland Judiciary Case Search Database using the accused's name and date of birth. The database is online at https://so.md/mdcasesearch . Persons named who have been found innocent or not guilty of all charges in the respective case, and/or have had the case ordered expunged by the court can have their name, age, and city redacted by following the process defined at https://so.md/expungeme.

MiddleGround

Sheriff Tim Cameron can ask all he wants.... but, will he DO anything about it? So far (for YEARS) the answer has been a resounding NO!

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, there's the biannual enforcement day. Not to be confused with the bi-weekly radar/laser enforcement.

glhs837

Power with Control
And the non-annual enforcement for navigating around signalized intersections to avoid stopping. :lmao:

I think that one torques me the most. It's literally a friken parade through Wawa and the Little Cesar.

Well, maybe they'll enforce it now that they got a pay raise.

(Low hanging fruit)

I see what you did there :) Maybe if they been enforcing this all along, they coulda had a pay raise three years ago :) Hell, cell phone enforcement could hire a whole new division. :)

For the slows out there, NO, I am NOT advocating enforcement for profit.

MiddleGround

I am NOT advocating enforcement for profit.

I personally wouldn't care. Just get out there and do SOMETHING about it! Hell... cell phone use, and the 2 items in this bulletin would net some serious profits for the department around here :yay:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Since the Sheriff and State Police don't actually collect the fine, who does get money from it?
Obviously the courts do if you go to court you get charged fees. I'm sure traffic cases are the hardest thing the courts have to deal with, "read the charge", "guilty", "pay fines and fees"
Not sure who you write the check to, MVA, the State's Attorney....

glhs837

Power with Control
Since the Sheriff and State Police don't actually collect the fine, who does get money from it?
Obviously the courts do if you go to court you get charged fees. I'm sure traffic cases are the hardest thing the courts have to deal with, "read the charge", "guilty", "pay fines and fees"
Not sure who you write the check to, MVA, the State's Attorney....

County collects. You can see it as a line item in the county budget. But in reality, even speed trapping never makes money when you figure the time and money into a trooper and his equipment and ride. It's like using a brain surgeon to remove skin tags.

BernieP

Resident PIA
County collects. You can see it as a line item in the county budget. But in reality, even speed trapping never makes money when you figure the time and money into a trooper and his equipment and ride. It's like using a brain surgeon to remove skin tags.
They probably look at it as they are already paying salary and the equipment was bought, so might as well use it to bring in some cash.
The question should be, is it the most efficient use of resources?

MiddleGround

Yes however, just imagine for EVERY intersection blocker it's instant $70.

Better yet... for EVERY person who uses the Wawa, behind Chipotle, etc. it is $90. Can you imagine how much cheddar would be made in just 1 day between 3PM and 6PM??!!

glhs837

Power with Control
They probably look at it as they are already paying salary and the equipment was bought, so might as well use it to bring in some cash.
Yes however, just imagine for EVERY intersection blocker it's instant $70.

Better yet... for EVERY person who uses the Wawa, behind Chipotle, etc. it is $90. Can you imagine how much cheddar would be made in just 1 day between 3PM and 6PM??!!

Hourly operating cost when you figure salary and benefits. Figure a 15 minute evolution for each offender, considering pullover, initial engagement, getting the documents, entering the data into the system and awaiting the results, printing citation and delivering. Now, 1 of 4 people are going to contest it, so while you lose that $70, you also pay for an entire courtroom of people to listen to jack-wad defend himself. One reason traffic court is such a slick machine, to keep costs down and not lose too much money. The only way to make money over what you spend is to really speed trap it, where you pay the nice man right there, or it's an instafleece with no appeal. Your evenues from citations never brings im what you spend on enforcement hours. One reason automated enforcement is popular, its the only way to make money.

InigoMontoya

If the Sheriff's and Troopers have have down time in between actual calls, I think it's a great use of resources. These people use these areas as short cuts and then force their way in on the other side, which isn't exactly safe for other drivers. Give them a few $90 hits and maybe they'll pay attention considering it's already a law. The same should be true for people who travel in the turning lane all the way down 235 and want to be let into traffic at the last minute.

MiddleGround

Now, 1 of 4 people are going to contest it

I would say 25% is actually pretty high. More like 10%

...so while you lose that $70, you also pay for an entire courtroom of people to listen to jack-wad defend himself. One reason traffic court is such a slick machine, to keep costs down and not lose too much money.

This is why traffic court is scheduled around the deputy's schedule. Each deputy has a "court day" to defend the tickets issued.

The only way to make money over what you spend is to really speed trap it, where you pay the nice man right there

So, why not do it? Make it an instant "on the spot" fine for these abuses and cell phone usage. And... I say make it hurt MORE. Like $200 for evading signals and $500 for cell phone use. I bet that would curb most of the problem!

Will99

I would say 25% is actually pretty high. More like 10%

This is why traffic court is scheduled around the deputy's schedule. Each deputy has a "court day" to defend the tickets issued.

So, why not do it? Make it an instant "on the spot" fine for these abuses and cell phone usage. And... I say make it hurt MORE. Like $200 for evading signals and $500 for cell phone use. I bet that would curb most of the problem!
Yes, let's throw due process out the window. The constitution isn't something we should pay attention to. You shouldn't have the right to face your accuser. Obviously I am being sarcastic.