trailer weight

highnote

What is the average weight of a 2 horse TB size fiberglass trailer (empty)? I just need a roundabout figure or "range". Just getting an idea to decide if our truck will be able to haul one or not.

bcp

In My Opinion
What is the average weight of a 2 horse TB size fiberglass trailer (empty)? I just need a roundabout figure or "range". Just getting an idea to decide if our truck will be able to haul one or not.
Go to the website of the trailer manufacturer, they should have weights listed there.

CobbWeb

Varies Widely

Trailer weights vary widely, look at your tow vehicles tow capacity and look for something under that. Generally if you have a fully size truck like F-150 you will be able to handle most 2 H trailers unless you are looking at one with large dressing room or living space. Ex. my F-150 is rated to tow 9200 lbs. I have towed a 7200 lb. trailer and don't think I would want to tow much more especially for any distance. Also does your vehicle have trailer brakes these are definitely needed.

Sparks

Probably around 3,000 lbs. Don't forget to investigate tongue weight. That's equally important.

highnote

Trailer weights vary widely, look at your tow vehicles tow capacity and look for something under that.

I know what my truck is rated to tow, I just need to know an average 2h fiberglass trailer weight to know if it will be well under that, or close.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I think it depends on whether it is steel frame or aluminum framing?

FOUND THIS INFO:
HOW MUCH TO HORSE TRAILERS WEIGH?
The typical 2-horse trailer, without dressing room, will weigh around 2,600 lbs. Whether it is made of aluminum, aluminum and steel or all steel, makes little difference. Materials used in construction only become a significant weight factor in larger trailers such as a 3-horse and larger.

A 2-horse with dressing room will weight about 3,300 lbs. In addition to the trailer, you must also take into consideration the weight of horses and related tack/gear being transported. A safe rule-of-thumb is to allow 1,200 lbs. per horse. Add that to the empty weight of your trailer and then you'll know what your tow vehicle has to pull.

Horse Trailers - Helpful Information - Liberty Horse Trailer Sales

INFO ABOUT TOW VEHICLES:
WHAT TYPE OF TOW VEHICLE DO YOU NEED TO PULL A HORSE TRAILER?
Any prospective tow vehicle must be able to pull at least 5,000 lbs. to safely haul a 2-horse trailer. The vehicle should be equipped with a class 3 hitch, brake controller, electrical plug-in receptacle (to work trailer's lights/brakes) and appropriate size 2" or 2-5/16" hitch ball. If you plan to pull a 2-horse trailer that will have a dressing/tack room, then your vehicle should be able to pull at least 6,000 lbs. If you're planning on hauling a gooseneck trailer, a half-ton with larger V-8 (5.7 liter) will work for a 2 or 3-horse. Of course, if finances will allow, a 3/4 ton or 1-ton will be even better. If your plans include lots of long hauls, you should consider one of the new TURBO-DIESEL equipped trucks for the added low-end torque pulling power as well as improved fuel economy for daily use.

Sport-Utility Vehicles are extremely popular today as tow vehicles. The choice of 2-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive is only a factor in terms of desired traction. If you live in a warm-dry climate, chances are you'll have little or no use for 4-wheel drive. However, in snow or mud country, 4-wheel drive can be almost a necessity. Point to remember is that 4-wheel drive does not increase towing capacity! In fact, a 2-wheel drive vehicle will have greater towing capacity than a like-equipped 4-wheel drive. It just comes down to an issue of traction required.

Pick-up Trucks get more popular each year as they continue to gain creature comforts that appeal to non-hauling use . . . commuting, shopping, etc. Also, their longer wheel bases make for a positive, steady feel when hauling.

Last edited: