Training a 6 month puppy

catlingirl

Where is a good place to go to get a 6 month puppy trained.? He goes to the bathroom outside but won’t listen and is really rowdy. I’ve googled pet training but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks I live in Calvert so anywhere in Southern Maryland is fine.

Last edited:

WingsOfGold

What breed is he? Some dogs need to grow out of their puppyness. I found years ago that a owner/handler obedience course worked really well for me and my ULTRA high energy German Shorthair. She used what is known as the "Kohller Method" some think it's cruel but you would be amazed how well a dog can adapt to on and off lead training.
Once your dog becomes your companion and friend and not your pet it's a great relationship.

baxter

We came home one day and someone decided to drop off a German Shepard puppy at our door. He was out of control, we took him to AppleJacks where he went through training, total cost was $1000. After his initial training he required additional training, there was no extra cost from Applejacks, the dog went back for an additional two weeks of training, and I tell you, he is the most obedient dog I have ever had. Nothing but kudos to Applejacks

catlingirl

What breed is he? Some dogs need to grow out of their puppyness. I found years ago that a owner/handler obedience course worked really well for me and my ULTRA high energy German Shorthair. She used what is known as the "Kohller Method" some think it's cruel but you would be amazed how well a dog can adapt to on and off lead training.
Once your dog becomes your companion and friend and not your pet it's a great relationship.
He’s a German, Australian Shepard mix. 141188

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'm dealing with much the same deal (rowdy pup) and for the first time ever (at least 10 dogs} I have had to get a new device to aid his training. That being an E-collar. The collar allows for a tone, a vibration, and an electric correction (read shock). Most rowdy behavior is corrected by the tone and vibration. aggression gets the shock (twice in over two weeks). And I did use the shock on myself first (as the directions recommend) to understand the impact of the differing levels that can be set.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Define rowdy... destructive when you're away or just high energy.
for me. Rowdy - stubborn hardheadedness, nipping at hands and feet, not giving up barking once we react to his warnings. (minor corrections used) Aggressiveness - growling, lunging at us as to attack, teeth bared and a couple of bites. (major correction)

black dog

Free America
Define rowdy... destructive when you're away or just high energy.
Yep, two different behaviors.
Work dogs need to be worked hard / run hard on a daily basis.
I've had Labs since I was a kid, Now I have my second big headed Chesapeake. " The Kings of being Hardheaded "
If you want to get rid of the puppy stupid, get a tennis racket a ball and if possible add water. twenty min and you will have a worn out and happy dog. Add 15 min of school daily to teach the correct behavior you want out of your dog.

Be firm and repetitive!!!!!!