Governor Transcript: December 10 Press Conference

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
GOVERNOR HOGAN: Good afternoon. Joining me today are Secretary of Commerce, Kelly Schulz and Secretary of Housing and Community Development, Ken Holt. As the current surge of COVID‑19 continues to ravage much of the country, Maryland remains in a better position than many other states with the nation’s 7th lowest positivity rate and the 9th lowest case rate. But it is clear that we are experiencing a post‑Thanksgiving surge and that the worst days of the pandemic are still ahead of us.

Maryland has now had 225,855 confirmed cases of COVID‑19 including 20 straight days with more than 2,000 cases. Our seven‑day statewide positivity rate dropped slightly today to 7.74 percent and our cases per 100,000 is up slightly to 45.6.

Today, for the first time, all 24 of our jurisdictions are in the red zone for case rates. The virus has taken the lives of over 289,000 Americans and 4,850 Marylanders. In the United States, we reached the grim milestone of more than 3,000 COVID‑19 deaths in a single day.

Today we have 1,720 COVID patients hospitalized in Maryland which is our highest total ever during the entire pandemic. That includes 416 Marylanders currently in intensive care units which is our highest level since June 6th. 88 percent of staff acute beds in the state are currently occupied and 87 percent of ICU beds are currently occupied. 143 surge beds are currently in use at the alternate care site we added. We are intently monitoring active cases at 183 of our nursing homes and at 137 of our assisted living facilities.

Since the beginning of this new COVID‑19 surge, we have taken a series of aggressive actions to save lives, keep our hospitals from overflowing and to keep as many Marylanders employed as we can. Recent actions include issuing public health advisories to limit gatherings, limiting occupancy at retail establishments, bars and restaurants and requiring them to close at 10:00 p.m. We expanded our out‑of‑state travel advisory, strictly limiting hospital visitations. Again, we expanded hospital surge capacity and our alternate care site capacity. We activated a critical coordination center to transfer patients between hospitals. We mobilized an unprecedented staffing surge. We restricted visitation to nursing homes and expanded testing for residents and staff. We doubled the number of rapid response teams to assist with outbreaks. We provided additional assistance for food banks, foster care and tenants and we have built an entire operation to deliver COVID‑19 vaccines. We are continuing to constantly monitor all of the data in order to determine what additional statewide actions may be required.

While here in Maryland, we continue to take constant actions on a daily basis to fight this virus from all directions, congress continues to fail at the one simple thing we have been asking them to do for the last eight months which is to provide additional emergency relief for our struggling families and small businesses. Earlier this week, I spoke with house speaker Nancy Pelosi along with numerous leaders of the Senate about the on‑going negotiations in congress over COVID‑19 relief. We continue to stress to all of our leaders in Washington on both sides of the aisle the urgent need for them to reach a consensus on a relief package, even if it’s only on a temporary Band‑Aid approach that lasts for a few months. Something is better than nothing.

Here in Maryland, we spent $500 million in emergency relief worth $215 million provided to our COVID‑19 emergency relief fund. More than 16,000 businesses across the state. $50 million distributed to all 24 jurisdictions for restaurant relief fund to support both indoor and outdoor dining. More than $40 million has been directed through the Maryland nonprofit recovery initiative, more than 1800 nonprofit organizations across the state. Nearly $25 million has been awarded through our layoff of funds to more than 1,000 small businesses from all 24 jurisdictions. Saving another 20,000 Maryland jobs. We’re directing more than $8 million to entities that rely Hefley on tourism and visitors including museums, zoos, aquariums and attractions. Nearly $5 million has been provided through our Maryland COVID relief program.

While we continue to wait for congress to finally get its act together, today we’re taking a series of additional state actions to help businesses struggling to hang on to avoid the prospect of more layoffs and to try to keep some businesses from going out of business. During this crisis on our small ‑‑ our small businesses have had to make difficult decisions to move ahead with layoffs and furloughs, despite their best efforts. As a result, many businesses are scheduled to face increases in the unemployment through no fault of their own. This is yet another blow for businesses already suffering tremendous losses.

Today I have signed an executive order to protect businesses from substantial increases and unemployment taxes. This emergency relief will help businesses keep their operations going and to help keep more people on their payrolls. In March, as part of our First Round of state economic relief, we provided $75 million in emergency loans to Maryland small businesses.

Today I have directed the Department of Commerce to take immediate action to forgive the entire $75 million in emergency small business debt. These loans will be converted to grants and will not have to be paid back. This will provide additional much‑needed relief for many small businesses. So they can stay in business and keep their employees on their payrolls.

We’re also announcing a major investment of affordable housing. We will be funding $25 million in low‑income housing projects which will promote the construction of 2,000 units, high‑quality affordable housing which will create homes. This is the largest number of units we have financed in a single year.

Today, we’re releasing $12 million through the rental housing works program which will spur more progress and create more jobs for construction workers and related industries across the state. In addition to these grants of relief actions, we’re urging county governments to match the relief dollars that we have provided and again we are encouraging them to push out every single penny of their remaining funding out into our economy and into the hands of people who desperately need it in the next few weeks before it runs out at the end of this year. Today we are also making additional investments to address the health and well‑being of Marylanders. We’re committing $94 million in grants and investments to help treat Marylanders with diabetes during the COVID‑19 pandemic. More than one out of every three Marylanders either has diabetes or pre‑diabetes, which puts them at a much greater risk. It is the number one risk for COVID‑19. With these investments, hospitals and their community health partners will be able to launch comprehensive community‑based prevention and treatment initiatives and will work with local health to combat health despair for people who have diabetes or who are at higher risk for diabetes.

Today, we’re committing another $10 million in investment for a wide range of initiatives, law enforcement, youth services and including a new COVID‑19 collaborative that connects crime victims to assessing the critical services they need virtually. In addition, they have detected barriers for the locations across the state. Rapid testing equipment and supplies, the Maryland state police as well as additional resources to increase internet access in Baltimore city for vulnerable children and youth.

Tonight marks the beginning of Hanukkah, and I want to wish all of those celebrating a happy festival of lights. For each and every one of us this year, holidays need to be a season to increase vigilance. Our hospitals are nearing capacity. Our death toll is climbing. We continue to be in a state of emergency with heightened levels. Hanukkah is the story of how a small group of people can make a powerful difference and it is a celebration of the victory of hope over fear and light over darkness and I think it is a powerful message for all of us, especially this holiday season.

At this time, I’m going to turn it over to Secretary of Commerce, Kelly Schulz, to discuss some of our latest relief initiatives.

KELLY SCHULZ: Thank you. I would also like to say happy Hanukkah to those celebrating tonight.

I want to thank the Governor for the announcement that he made today. The business community and the employees and families. One of the most difficult times we’ve ever faced. We’ve been worried about our loved ones. Especially true for our Maryland businesses which has faced numerous challenges about what lies ahead.

From the very start of this pandemic, Governor Hogan and the Department of Commerce have been committed to supporting Maryland business communities and keeping our economy strong until we beat COVID‑19 once and for all. We delivered hundreds of dollars to nonprofit organizations, manufacturers, arts organization and this effort would not only protect the business owners and those entities but hundreds of thousands of employees and their families who are struggling so much during this economic crisis. A business community needs strength. We tried to provide targeted assistance where it will have the greatest impact. For example, partners with each county to provide $50 million in direct assistance to the state restaurants who have been particularly challenged this year.

To the governor’s initiative, we provided $3 million to our local marketing office and jurisdictions across the state. $18 million in industries. In leadership from the governor, we learned to focus toward small businesses. Provided an additional $10 million to our Maryland small business development financing authority to assist economically for those affected by COVID‑19. We worked to protect our arts community. The Maryland state arts council is in the process of issuing third round of emergency grants to more than 300 artists across Maryland which will bring total emergency assistance for the arts community of $7 million.

Congress has postponed the emergency relief fund that the governor gave $50 million to get the application through. All qualified applicants will now be getting the grants that they have applied for. All told, small business relief programs with grants and loans total $215 million to over 12,000 individual small businesses and nonprofits in Maryland and are in the process of getting assistance.

Maryland has made great strides since the pandemic. It has celebrated major economic development projects. It is projected to bring hundreds of new jobs.

This is only the beginning of economic advancements we’re making. We signed an agreement to support new school growth in our life sciences and public health sectors and dozens of life science companies have been working tirelessly to develop tests and vaccines for COVID‑19. Our small businesses have told us while they have struggled, they’re doing okay now. They want us to give those funds to those who need it more. The vaccine has given us much‑needed hope. We can see the end of the pandemic much more clearly but we’re not done yet. Our businesses and employees are still hurting and need more help. We’re doing what we can at the state level and today Governor Hogan announced the important additional measures to help convert their $35 million in loans and grants. Even behind the actions that provide lifelines to businesses right now. But this is bigger than anyone thought. The paycheck protection program has been depleted for months now and America’s businesses urgently need congress to act. Whatever happens, we in Maryland must protect ourselves and our businesses so we don’t lose ground on our economic recovery. So we need people to stay safe.

Yes, governor, I’m going to say it. Wear the damn mask. Wash your hands. Social distance. Follow the rules and obey capacity limits when indoors. Don’t take unnecessary risks. We’ve come so far in our fight against this pandemic. We’ve made great progress. We can’t stop now. Be safe.

I’m going to turn it over to Secretary Kenneth Holt.

KENNETH HOLT: Thank you very much, Secretary Schulz.

Thank you, Governor Hogan, for your steady leadership during these challenging months.

To the citizens of Maryland, thank you for your help. We work to expand affordable housing and home ownership for all Marylanders. The department also invests in the revitalization and redevelopment of communities around Maryland. We try to spur economic growth, create jobs and generally improve the quality of life for all residents. Now as part of the state’s response to the COVID‑19 pandemic, our department has provided assistance to homeowners and renters. We’ve coordinated response with local continuance of care with regards to homelessness.

Additionally, Governor Hogan had mentioned the various programs that support communities and nonprofits. Through our department, we’ve received approximately $146 million to drill down in the grassroots Maryland and to help all of those volunteer organizations that have made a difference. Early in the state’s response, Governor Hogan issued executive orders to prevent foreclosures and evictions to make sure Maryland’s families, seniors, individuals with disabilities, could remain safely and securely in their homes. Even if their ability to pay rent was compromised by COVID‑19.

Our department has administered to this point about $40 million in rental assistance to programs that have run concurrently. The first program, the assisted housing relief program has provided about $20 million from April through December for low to moderate income tenants who live in state‑financed projects.

Additionally, our second program, the Maryland eviction partnership has also paid about $20 million in CARES related funding through the block grant program to local counties for their direct rental assistance support. Now we’re set up to quickly deploy any additional funds that may be available from the federal government.

And I add to the governor’s admonition and Secretary Schulz’s admonition that it is time for the federal government to release more aid and support. Now the department finances affordable housing through loans and bonds as well as administering the yearly appropriation of tax credits. These are low‑income housing tax credits that come from the federal government. And we have worked through a competitive application process. They were limited resources. However they have enormous impact. Well before the pandemic, these funding sources empowered enormous construction and affordable housing across the state. In excess of 20,000 units have been created or rehabbed during the Hogan administration. And the additional funds that Governor Hogan has announced here today will add at least 2,000 additional units to that total. Last year, we broke records with our low‑income housing tax program. However this year, those records are shattered.

We have finished our review process for the 2020 competitive ground and as Governor Hogan pointed out, $25 million of tax credit financing that will construct over 2,000 units. And to build on the momentum, there will be release of an additional $12 million of housing funds. These funds for the tax credits and financing. It accelerates the construction of housing. It expands the pipeline and moves projects through more rapidly. That leads to more construction jobs, more engineering and design and work for Maryland citizens.

So in conclusion, I would like to thank Governor Hogan for providing us, the Department of Commerce, the Department of Housing and all agencies of state government with the wherewithal to accelerate and execute a bold and aggressive economic recovery plan. Thank you.

Governor?

GOVERNOR HOGAN: I would be happy to take questions.

SPEAKER: (Off Microphone).

GOVERNOR HOGAN: As I said in my remarks, we have meetings almost all day with all of our entire team, look at metrics, getting advice and input, watching what’s happening across the country, throughout the region. Looking at the counties, our neighbors, discussing regionally about the pandemic and as we’ve done for nine months now, we’ll continue to take every single action that we believe is appropriate based on the data and the metrics and what effect it is going to have. Every day we try to balance all of those competing priorities of trying to save people’s lives first and foremost and keep our hospitals open but we’re also trying to keep as many businesses open as possible. It is a delicate balance. We’re especially looking at numbers every single day in deciding what actions we should be taking. We believe that at this point, we’re taking the right steps at the right time. As I mentioned earlier, we’re going to continue to take more actions as we see fit. We talk to the press every couple of days now recently. We’re making decisions and I’m sure we’ll continue to do so.

GOVERNOR HOGAN: I don’t want to second guess what local leaders, a couple of them, have done. I think there are two of them that have taken that, talking about closing outdoor dining. I don’t know where that decision came from. After hundreds of discussions with the epidemiologists and experts, they told us from the beginning that outdoor dining is safe and outdoors is better than indoors. And so I’m not sure how they make the decisions. It doesn’t compute with most of the advice. We just invested $50 million that we gave to the counties to help keep restaurants afloat and keep restaurant employees working. By providing for money for tests and to keep people safe for dining outdoors.

GOVERNOR HOGAN: Like I said, we’re going to keep taking actions that we see fit. Indoor dining is an issue if there are people crowded into bars and restaurants and not wearing masks, we took actions. We limited 50 percent capacity. We reduced the capacity, limited the hours to 10:00 p.m. We’re encouraging people to stay safe particularly if you’re in a vulnerable category. If you go to a restaurant, take advantage of delivery or takeout or sit outside. We’ll take the actions we think ‑‑ all of our contract tracing data says source of transmission is family gatherings. We don’t want to prohibit people from seeing their families. Next is working, going to work, working in an office environment or attending other functions. So while it is important and if we have to take additional actions, we will. Right now, I think the latest surveys, people do not feel safe dining indoors. We have a greater reduction than most other states in the country. People are being cautious. It is a death sentence for many of the small businesses so we’ll take those actions only when we absolutely deem it essential to saving lives and stopping the hospitals from overflowing.

GOVERNOR HOGAN: Again, like I said in my remarks, we are trying to make the decisions that are balance and appropriate, based on the facts. We’re taking steps as necessary. As from the beginning, county leaders are able to make their own decisions about being more restrictive and they have. Anne Arundel and in some cases, Prince George’s have been taking action for nine months. I respect their right to be able to do that. We’re not going to be dictated to on what we should do based on what one or two other people decided to do.

GOVERNOR HOGAN: That’s a question I’m not aware of. I hadn’t heard that report. But it is certainly something we’ll take a look at. I’ll have our communications team reach out to the Department of Transportation and see if we can get some answers.

GOVERNOR HOGAN: Sometimes a little more restricted. I’ve said I was going to respect their ability ‑‑ newly elected representative of both areas. They’ve taken a few actions it he federal level but they mostly left it up to the governors and it is the same concept that we’re taking actions that we believe are necessary. Some of the more aggressive ones in the country which is why I think our metrics are better than most of the country. They have the right to be more restrictive if they believe it is the right thing to do for their citizens.

GOVERNOR HOGAN: Actually that’s one of the things they’ve done really, really well. The vast majority of the vaccine distribution will be done through the federal government and all of the nursing homes vaccinations which should be rolling out next week will be done by CVS or Walgreens and federal contracts. Hospitals for our frontline workers, will be delivered straight from the government to the hospitals and they’ll be implementing it. Eventually, we’ll get to the point where every medical provider, doctor and pharmacies everywhere will be able to get the vaccine. There will be some limited amounts that will be done by the state and county health departments and we’ll be working with them. It is not one of our pressing needs from the federal government because I think Operation Warp Speed is going really well. I’m more concerned about the health for the people struggling with the economy and the paycheck when all of the CARES act funding disappears in a couple of weeks, that’s really ‑‑ so when I was talking with the leaders in congress, the republicans are pushing for this. The democrats are saying this. I pleaded with all of them. I don’t care if it is a republican plan or democratic plan. I don’t care if it is everything everybody wants, we have to get something out. We can’t wait until next year. It has to be right now. This week.

GOVERNOR HOGAN: I’m most concerned about the dollars into people’s pockets that are struggling and there are so many people. Something like $9 billion in unemployment to 800,000 people. $10 billion in CARES act funding already. It kept people on payroll, kept them in their jobs. That’s all gone. That’s why we’re seeing a little more uptick right now. Right before the holidays and the end of the year. There are so many things that have helped with and they can help with but right now, it is the economy. We’re coming up to the holidays, we’ll have more people losing jobs and more businesses. While we desperately need this federal help. We have been draining every resource we can to try to keep our Marylanders alive, keep them paying their bills, keep our small businesses in business until we can get it. If they don’t come, we’re going to be in a crisis situation. Thank you.