Treasure of the Chesapeake

sdtillt1966

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is going to be an art show at The Artist Gallery in Virginia Beach, VA (oceanfront) on March 7th (opening night 7-9pm) and will run through March 21st. A percentage of each sale will go to benefit the Save the Bay foundation. I have just finished a painting that will be on display at the show entitled "Treasure of the Chesapeake Bay". It is a painting of a blue crab. This an others will be on display. I hope everyone will be able to attend.
Thank you,
Scott D. Tillett

Attachments

• blue crabwc.jpg
    blue crabwc.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 49

PJumper

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is going to be an art show at The Artist Gallery in Virginia Beach, VA (oceanfront) on March 7th (opening night 7-9pm) and will run through March 21st. A percentage of each sale will go to benefit the Save the Bay foundation. I have just finished a painting that will be on display at the show entitled "Treasure of the Chesapeake Bay". It is a painting of a blue crab. This an others will be on display. I hope everyone will be able to attend.
Thank you,
Scott D. Tillett

That is very nice looking crab, but I don't see the point in painting the crab by itself. It doesn't tell a story.

When I was young just out of high school eons ago, I was interested in becoming an artist so I approach a popular art professor in school and told him that I loved to paint, i just can't seem to copy my subject exactly the way they are. He look at me at said. Art is not about copying the subject, but to show it the way it interpret it to be. If you just want to copy a subject, buy a camera and take pictures of it, much better copy and a lot cheaper than a four- year degree.

sdtillt1966

Treasure of the Chesapeake Bay

That is very nice looking crab, but I don't see the point in painting the crab by itself. It doesn't tell a story.

When I was young just out of high school eons ago, I was interested in becoming an artist so I approach a popular art professor in school and told him that I loved to paint, i just can't seem to copy my subject exactly the way they are. He look at me at said. Art is not about copying the subject, but to show it the way it interpret it to be. If you just want to copy a subject, buy a camera and take pictures of it, much better copy and a lot cheaper than a four- year degree.
Thanks for looking. This painting was not created by using a photograph. It was created by using several pencil sketch studies. As far as the background goes, you certainly have a right to your opinion. In my mind the point of the painting is the crab itself. The beauty of the crab tells its own story, it doesn't need to have anything in the background other than what I have (a representation of water) in order for it to be a strong design. There is a fine line between "copying" a photograph and using your artistic skill to pull something off that looks representational. If you had progressed in your art studies long enough you would have come to realize this.
Thanks for taking the time to comment,
Scott

Last edited: