Treatment of Horses

Nupe2

This evening I saw an Amish family of 4 riding in a buggy and the horse seemed to be in distress. The horse was small but seemingly well built and was sweating profusely. I realize that it was a hot day but I just wondered if that was normal. I've lived here about 15 years and I have never seen a horse, for lack of a better term, "sweating like a horse." Probably nothing but I've heard that some of the Amish don't treat their horses very well. Probably no different than other horse owners but that's what I've heard. I guess my question is is there a way to tell if a horse is in distress (from the heat and/or exhaustion) and what should be done, especially in a case such as the one I saw this evening?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Nupe2 said:
This evening I saw an Amish family of 4 riding in a buggy and the horse seemed to be in distress. The horse was small but seemingly well built and was sweating profusely. I realize that it was a hot day but I just wondered if that was normal. I've lived here about 15 years and I have never seen a horse, for lack of a better term, "sweating like a horse." Probably nothing but I've heard that some of the Amish don't treat their horses very well. Probably no different than other horse owners but that's what I've heard. I guess my question is is there a way to tell if a horse is in distress (from the heat and/or exhaustion) and what should be done, especially in a case such as the one I saw this evening?

I don't know a lot about horses but I know they will work up a good lather (sweat). When they don't sweat (can't) is when you have to worry. Maybe one of the horsey people can tell you more.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Nupe2 said:

As I was getting feed yesterday I saw one tied and he was quite ribby.... But one of my horses is a hard keeper and is ribby and she's never worked... gets fed well... so who's to say that horse is the same way and has a job?

Anyway I think the horse you saw was probably just working and sweating... unless he was so thin you could see his hip bones, I wouldn't worry too much about the sweat this time of year.. totally normal.

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
Sweating on a hot day is normal for a horse - there are quite a few horses standing around the pastures of us english folk (the amish refer to us that way) that could use a little sweating! The Amish do, for the most part, take care of their horses - they are a big investment, some pay 3 to 5 thousand for a good buggy horse. Same as the drafts that work the fields.The horses don't usually get coddled or babied but are expected to work for their keep. They will vaccinate when neccesary (like for West Nile), they have their own mixes for medication when needed but shun regular Vet care as unnecessary. The amish can stitch cuts themselves and alot of horse knowledge is passed from one generation to another. Their horses are valuable investments that need to produce something for the farm.

W

WildHorses

HorseLady said:
Sweating on a hot day is normal for a horse - there are quite a few horses standing around the pastures of us english folk (the amish refer to us that way) that could use a little sweating! The Amish do, for the most part, take care of their horses - they are a big investment, some pay 3 to 5 thousand for a good buggy horse. Same as the drafts that work the fields.The horses don't usually get coddled or babied but are expected to work for their keep. They will vaccinate when neccesary (like for West Nile), they have their own mixes for medication when needed but shun regular Vet care as unnecessary. The amish can stitch cuts themselves and alot of horse knowledge is passed from one generation to another. Their horses are valuable investments that need to produce something for the farm.

:yeahthat: They're also a great source of information when we English don't understand something that's happening to one of our horses. :flowers: We all need to remember that the Mennonites and Amish are just the same as us (maybe just a little more fundamentalist than most of us), they have college educated accountants, engineers, teachers, etc. in their orders and the fact that they have chosen to live a simple life should not mislead us into believing they are simple. :howdy: