Treeless saddle help from those who have one

Wait4It..boom

I was interested enough in the treeless saddles by all who have said they were great that I bought one myself! I bought the Barefoot Sierra (it arrived yesterday) and the Skito saddle pad to match. The saddle pad is not due to arrive for another week but I only have a week to try the saddle before I have to send it back (if I don't like it) for a refund of my money.
I'm having a blonde moment and am not sure how the saddle is supposed to "look" on the horse.
My question is: do you need the Skito saddle pad to really see how the saddle should fit or can I improvise with another pad and still get similar results (e.g., to know if it fits me and my horse)? Do these treeless saddles and pads work as a system? Are the saddle pads made to fill in the gaps on the treeless saddle that you wouldn't otherwise have on a treed saddle?
I emailed the place I bought everything from requesting an extension on the returns policy, but am having to think about Plan B as well.

DQ2B

I don't have the particular brand of treeless that you have but for mine I use a regular pad with the addition of a no-slip pad just on very round barreled horses. Looks like the company that makes yours suggests you use a pad that has some type of foam wither inserts so that an air channel can be obtained. You should be able to find (or improvise) with regular saddle pads for that.

mingiz

Horse Poor
You should be able to use a pad or blanket untill you get yours. I used the Bob Marshall without a skito untill it came in. It was fine. I used a wool liner with a saddle blanket over that. Good Luck

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Barefoot has two seperate foam panels already in it to make a gullet channel. To check fit and comfort you should be fine testing it with a normal pad, but remember that the skito will make the ride more cushy too.

There shouldn't be any gaps with a treed saddle or a treeless saddle.

Here's Octavia in her barefoot - http://phyxius.smugmug.com/photos/192134280_DyNoQ-L.jpg

I replaced the fiberglass wither insert with foam. Very comfy!

Wait4It..boom

If you look at this website Barefoot Saddles® - Quality Treeless Western Saddles and click on the picture of the girl on the Morgan wearing the Atlanta model (same as the one I bought but without a horn); draw an imaginary horizontal line just above the girl's knee and that's where I can slide my hand under the saddle. Either the gap is making it look like the area below the gullet channel around her withers is pinching or too tight, or it just needs the Skito pad to cushion those areas that appear gapped. I DON'T KNOW. On a brighter side, the company I bought it from (same website above) was GREAT! The lady emailed me back today and said I could have an extension on the return policy to try when the saddle pad came in. Great customer service! I figured it would have been a battle, but it wasn't. Was pleasantly surprised.

Wait4It..boom

You rock! Thanks, Phyxius. I know you said earlier you replaced your's for comfort, but I didn't even think about it being too narrow (or them having replacements- I didn't scroll down that far in the website). And that would make sense if it's too narrow, which would flare the leather below the pommel since it would be "squeezing" higher up. I'll try buying one of the others and hope for the best. The saddle looks so comfy- I'd hate for it not to work.
Thanks again for the insight- Happy Turkey Day!