Tricare for Life to cut discounts for more than 400K retiree

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

"Starting this spring, more than 400,000 military retirees and senior dependents in the Tricare for Life program will owe the full amount for certain prescription refills if they use a retail pharmacy rather than a military pharmacy or a mail service.

The change, part of a pilot program created by Congress, is meant to help control the cost of military health care and in its first year, is expected to cut $120 million from the $3.3 billion that the U.S. Department of Defense pays annually for Tricare For Life pharmacy needs.

The government insurance serves about 2 million military retirees and their dependents over 65, supplementing Medicare. Tricare for Life accounts for nearly half of the $7.1 billion that the Defense Department spends each year on its pharmacy program.

The pilot includes more than 400 medications – mostly brand-name – for chronic conditions, such as high blood pressure, diabetes and asthma. Prescriptions for pain relievers, antibiotics and other medicines for acute conditions aren’t affected.

With the program, members can fill eligible prescriptions three times at a retail outlet, usually a 30-day supply for a $17 copayment. Then, if they don’t switch, they’re responsible for the drug’s entire cost for subsequent refills, charges that quickly could climb into hundreds of dollars.

If they do switch, they’ll owe $13 for each 90-day supply through the Express Scripts mail service or nothing when they use a base pharmacy."

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Lets see, we are willing to give free/heavily subsidized healthcare to illegals, people who are too lazy to work and just about anyone with a heartbeat except those who have defended this country for 20+ years of their life.

Anyone else find this eff'ed up?

Vince

Lets see, we are willing to give free/heavily subsidized healthcare to illegals, people who are too lazy to work and just about anyone with a heartbeat except those who have defended this country for 20+ years of their life.

Yes, but they'll do it anyway. Got to support the entitled. Screw the retired military who were promised health care when they enlisted. Don't need them anymore so lets make it harder on them not that they are retired. I'd like to see these ####### Congressman give up their retirement benefits. But it just doesn't matter because we are going to get screwed anyway.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

While I agree 100% that illegals and lazy-assed baby makers souldn't have a free ride on our tax dollars, I don't really see this as a reason to be outraged. Our president and congress are doing much worse things to be outraged about. Is Express Scripts really that much of an inconvenience? If it's maintenance medicine, you know you'll need it ahead of time.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm plenty pissed that our Retired Military are being treated as fodder by the current administration, but is using Express Scripts for medicine, you know you will need, a reason to be all up in arms?

Thank you for serving our country. :patriot:

wm1953

Veterans, you can refill by phone if you call the number on your pill bottle. You can refill on the web site by
clicking refill pharmacy, this is easiest and you can see your history of meds received. Secure messaging is
also available so you can renew, refill or ask for a prescription.
It would be best for all if we could bargain with drug companies for medicare drugs but that won't happen
until campaign finance is fixed.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
While I agree 100% that illegals and lazy-assed baby makers souldn't have a free ride on our tax dollars, I don't really see this as a reason to be outraged. Our president and congress are doing much worse things to be outraged about. Is Express Scripts really that much of an inconvenience? If it's maintenance medicine, you know you'll need it ahead of time.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm plenty pissed that our Retired Military are being treated as fodder by the current administration, but is using Express Scripts for medicine, you know you will need, a reason to be all up in arms?

:yeahthat: I don't have TriCare but my insurance provider does the same as to prescriptions (Maintenance drugs = mail-in or more $).

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Veterans, you can refill by phone if you call the number on your pill bottle. You can refill on the web site by
clicking refill pharmacy, this is easiest and you can see your history of meds received. Secure messaging is
also available so you can renew, refill or ask for a prescription.
It would be best for all if we could bargain with drug companies for medicare drugs but that won't happen
until campaign finance is fixed.
The issue is, they don't carry everything. I have two meds that the base does not carry and I have to get them on the outside, what happens when I have to go on TRICARE for Life?

GW8345

Not White House Approved

Trust me, this isn't the only thing I'm pissed about, this is just another thing on a list of many.

As for serving, it was an honor and a pleasure to have served.:yay:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The issue is, they don't carry everything. I have two meds that the base does not carry and I have to get them on the outside, what happens when I have to go on TRICARE for Life?

I didn't know that they were any different than the outside world. I would think they would carry anything their customers required. Live and learn.

oldman

Lobster Land
I've got it set up to automatically receive a three month supply of my eye drops with Tricare for Life. It has worked out well thus far and is certainly far cheaper then via the civilian market.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
I didn't know that they were any different than the outside world. I would think they would carry anything their customers required. Live and learn.

The formulary is limited. That means you can save if you can convince your doctor(s) to use alternative medications which are on the formulary.

It's amazing, years ago we couldn't get people to use civilian or mail-order pharmacies and they insisted on using the military pharmacies (they combined a trip to the pharmacy with a trip to the commissary - nobody wanted doctor's appointments on Monday). Now we have people starting to complain because the system now wants them to come to the post/base pharmacy.