Triple Green Flash

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
A TRIPLE GREEN FLASH: Photographers consider themselves lucky when they catch a green flash. The sunset emerald ray is so rare, it was once thought to be a fable. Now imagine the odds of catching a triple green flash. James W. Young did it last night while standing on Oregon's Cannon Beach

The sun slips slowly downwards to a clear ocean horizon. Ever reddening as it sinks, soon only a thin sliver of the once hot disk is left. Then, as that too shrinks and lessens, it shines forth for just a second in a most vivid emerald green. Then it is gone, only the dark ocean remains. That is the green flash of fable.

Flashes like that do occur. A clear atmosphere produces the best ones but it is not absolutely essential. Sometimes the flash is more yellow, very rarely it is even blue. If you are energetic, observe on a hill or dune and run up after the flash has occurred - you could see another one. There are sunrise flashes too if you are alert for the very place and moment that the sun will appear.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Interesting
A few years ago I stopped my truck on the way home to get a couple of really good pics of winter sun dogs around the Mechanicsville area.

I've been patiently waiting for years on one of those very rare occasions we get an aurora.

Homer J

Power Chord
I've never seen the green flash at sunset. I have watched the sunrise from the deck of an aircraft carrier in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

I can tell you that I have never seen the horizon change color so many times and so quickly. One color after another after another for about 20 minutes. It was very humbling.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I've been patiently waiting for years on one of those very rare occasions we get an aurora.
I saw them around here probably 20 years ago. I didn't know what the green glow was about but figured it out. Very cool!