Triumph Thunderbird...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...got to ride one as a loaner when mine was in the shop the other day. Fun, bare bones bike. Forward controls which takes me a minute to get used to. More upright riding posture than my Strat which you kind sit down in.

Very, very nimble for a good sized cruiser. This thing wants to turn in, RIGHT NOW. Much better than the Strat which is pretty good for as long as it is. Took a couple minutes to adjust to that but then I was all over it, turns in and consistent, not vague at all, solid handling. No problem working in, around and through traffic. Comfortable, firm saddle that curves up in the ass for a little lower back support, decent suspension, not too soft, took hits a bit firm which I like, ABS, no wind screen on the one I had so, I got to enjoy some old school and enjoy it I did! I'd have me some abs in no time if this was all I had to ride.

Stable on the highway. Smooth, quiet shifting. Little squishy on the brakes front (dual disc) and rear but easy enough to get used to. Smooth to trail brake which I basically do all the time. Decent little rumble with stock pipes, one out each side. I'd guessed it was something like an 1100 and was pretty surprised to learn it is 1600 cc when I took it back. Not that it was under powered but it didn't seem as strong as a stock 96HD, which isn't strong by any measure. Buddy who owns the shop said it's know for being a different (gentle) power band, very, very easy to ride for the rider moving up to more of a full sized cruiser. Maybe a characteristic of the upright, side by side twin? Sorta mushy throttle which lends itself to the power profile. It'll wind out decent enough if you want with zero surprises.

Good looking, nice fat rear (which I like). Nothing unpredictable in the light rain I got caught in on the way back, easy enough to spin some wheel and have some cheap thrills out of a wet start.

When I took it back, I was actually kinda sad about how I felt on my Strat. That more upright and forward controls ain't all bad.

If you're into a HD bob, street or fat, or anyones 1100+ CC entry cruiser, the Triumph might be worth a look. :buddies:

Shutout

Good info. I have been considering this bike for a year or so. Not to replace my Trophy but as an addition. Thanks. I owe you a beer.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've looked closely at Triumphs on more than one occasion. They make some nice scoots. I believe the dealership nearest me in Camp Springs has closed though...

I've been "sans bike" all summer because my 88 needs the cam drive replaced/upgraded and I haven't had the $1300 extra to get it done. Crappy design that Harley should have covered...:cussing:

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Old school Bonney rider here, remember Amal carbs and Lucas electrical systems and working on them all the time. Loved that bike and my BSA also, wish i still had them.. saw a new Triumph not to long ago and couldn't even recognize ot from the old days.