Trolling for Rocks

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Boats been on land for awhile but plan on goin trolling this weekend out of Pax river and wondered whats currently productive or advise for hunting Rock Fish.

High EGT said:
Boats been on land for awhile but plan on goin trolling this weekend out of Pax river and wondered whats currently productive or advise for hunting Rock Fish.
According to the tackle box, blues, spanish and rock all at the mouth of the Patuxent. Check out their fishing report.

SJSWING

High EGT said:

Personally get out early...catch some spot with the overpriced bloodworms...then head out to the gas docks, or in front of the power plant and go live lining.

If it is the rock fish that you really want, that is the way to go right now. The water is not cold enough to troll for the big trophy size, they won't hit till the end of october, or even later, depending on how warm it stays outside.

If you want to troll, then the thing to go for is spanish mackerall or blues. Keep your eyes open also for the blues breaking. They have been on the smaller size, but fillet them out with no bones, cut into bite size pieces and pick up some zattamarans fish fry, or a good beer batter and enjoy.

High EGT

SJSWING said:
Personally get out early...catch some spot with the overpriced bloodworms...then head out to the gas docks, or in front of the power plant and go live lining.

If it is the rock fish that you really want, that is the way to go right now. The water is not cold enough to troll for the big trophy size, they won't hit till the end of october, or even later, depending on how warm it stays outside.

If you want to troll, then the thing to go for is spanish mackerall or blues. Keep your eyes open also for the blues breaking. They have been on the smaller size, but fillet them out with no bones, cut into bite size pieces and pick up some zattamarans fish fry, or a good beer batter and enjoy.

Thanks for the advise
As for live lining, what sort of rigging you guys using and any hot areas for catching spot?

Crow Bait

I can explain it here, or you can book the charterboat I work on, and I'll show you!

To live line, you use a large 4/0-5/0 circle hook snelled on 24-36" of 15-20lb Flourcarbon Leader - to a barrel swivel - to your main line, baited with a 4-8" Atlantic Spot, hooked through the dorsal area. We fish them with no weight, and free spool, allowing the spot to swim to the bottom, and float freely with the current. Some people like to add a 1/4-3/4 ounce slip sinker above the barrel swivel, but unless it's really rough, the spot will take you to the bottom.

When the line starts peeling off the spool, you have to fight the urge to set the hook, and let the striper take line for as much as 5 seconds. Because stripers attack bait from the tail, then spit it out, and swallow it from the head, if you attempt to set the hook right away, you will pull the bait and the hook out of the striper's mouth. Also, because we are using circle hooks you have to be extra careful not to set the hook too hard. Circle hooks are designed to hook your catch in the corner of the mouth, and a strong hook set will often mean a missed catch.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

High EGT

Crow Bait said:
I can explain it here, or you can book the charterboat I work on, and I'll show you!

To live line, you use a large 4/0-5/0 circle hook snelled on 24-36" of 15-20lb Flourcarbon Leader - to a barrel swivel - to your main line, baited with a 4-8"
Atlantic Spot, hooked through the dorsal area. We fish them with no
weight, and free spool, allowing the spot to swim to the bottom, and
float freely with the current. Some people like to add a 1/4-3/4 ounce slip sinker above the barrel swivel, but unless it's really rough, the spot will take you to the bottom.

When the line starts peeling off the spool, you have to fight the urge to set the hook, and let the striper take line for as much as 5 seconds. Because stripers attack bait from the tail, then spit it out, and swallow it from the head, if you attempt to set the hook right away, you will pull the bait and the hook out of the striper's mouth. Also, because we are using circle hooks you have to be extra careful not to set the hook too hard. Circle hooks are
designed to hook your catch in the corner of the mouth, and a strong
hook set will often mean a missed catch.

Good Luck!

Thanks ever so much. :notworthy

SJSWING

High EGT said:
Thanks for the advise
As for live lining, what sort of rigging you guys using and any hot areas for catching spot?

Also, we just went out today, straight out from second beach.....about 40-45 feet of water. We had 4 poles in the water for 2 of us. Started off with bloodworms fishing for spot. Caught about 3 of those then cut them up (very similar cut as if you were chunking) hooked it on the hooks of the stronger poles we had and added a 2 oz weight. We let that just sit at the bottom, until a blue would take it. Kept bringing in spot while going after the blues.

End tally we had 6 blues, ranged from 14-20", 1 trout, about 5 extra spot to put in the crab traps, and landed 3 decent sized croakers. Did not think that was too bad since it was just 2 of us and we headed back in at 1200.

Crow Bait

You guys that like to fish should come to the CCA banquet at the elks lodge in California on October 6th.

It's an awesome time, and there will be alot of deals on the auction/raffle items. Plus it's a good cause.

We also started a new chapter that meets in at the VFW in California, I've been posting meeting announcements, but haven't seen much of a response from you guys yet. These meetings and events are for everybody!!!

SJSWING

Crow Bait said:
You guys that like to fish should come to the CCA banquet at the elks lodge in California on October 6th.

It's an awesome time, and there will be alot of deals on the auction/raffle items. Plus it's a good cause.

We also started a new chapter that meets in at the VFW in California, I've been posting meeting announcements, but haven't seen much of a response from you guys yet. These meetings and events are for everybody!!!

Crow, can you pm me the information on the meeting, I happen to be off that day and would like to attend. Thanks

Crow Bait

I PM'd you, but I figured I would post it here too.

There are two things coming up. The first thing is the banquet.

Its at the Elks lodge in California (Fire station road) behind, Sheetz. The event starts at 6pm, and dinner is served at 715. It's a casual event, but there will be beer, wine, dinner and desert. There will be a bucket raffle with lots of prizes, a live auction and a silent auction. It is a fund raiser, but it is a fun time and a good couples event, plus there is potential to get good stuff at a reasonable price. Tickets include a $25 membership in CCA, and are $65 each or $120 per couple.

If you're interested, send me your name and the number of tickets you'd like and you can pick them up/pay a the door. I just need to know if you want to attend so I can tell the caterer to have a plate for you.

The next monthly meeting is at the VFW in California @ 730pm on October 24th. The VFW is located on 235 N, just north of Rt4. It can't really be seen from the highway. The VFW sign was blown down several years ago, but the Marquee is still up. It normally says something about Steak night - or something. If you've passed Lenny's restuarant, you've gone too far. The guest speaker will be Walleye Pete - a light tackle guy, and he will be talking about fishing at the CBBT.