State Police Trooper Being Dragged Down I-95 Fatally Wounds Impaired Driving Suspect

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
(ELKRIDGE, MD) – A suspected impaired driver was shot and fatally wounded by a Maryland state trooper early today as the driver dragged the trooper along I-95 while attempting to flee a traffic stop in Howard County.

The trooper is a three-year veteran who is assigned to the Waterloo Barrack. He is being treated at the University of Maryland R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center for injuries sustained in the incident.

The deceased driver is a Hispanic male who has not yet been identified and had no identification on him. He was pronounced deceased by emergency medical service personnel on the scene.

According to the preliminary investigation, a trooper from the Waterloo Barrack was working DUI enforcement on northbound I-95 in Howard County. Shortly after 2:00 a.m. this morning, the trooper observed a red Ford Escape weaving across multiple lanes of I-95. The trooper initiated a traffic stop in the area of northbound I-95 near Rt. 100 in Elkridge. The vehicle pulled over onto the right shoulder.

Prior to exiting his vehicle, the trooper requested backup assistance for standard field sobriety testing. Before the second trooper arrived on scene, the trooper approached the driver’s side of the vehicle attempting to make contact with the driver. Moments later, the backup trooper arrived and approached the passenger side of the vehicle.

The troopers attempted to talk with the driver and observed that he showed obvious signs of impairment. The trooper on the driver’s side of the vehicle asked the driver to exit the vehicle. He refused to get out of the vehicle.

The preliminary investigation indicates the driver put the vehicle in drive and the trooper reached into the car and attempted to remove the keys from the ignition. As the trooper reached in, the suspect accelerated and drove away, dragging the trooper more than 2,000 feet down the interstate.

Preliminary information indicates the trooper continued to yell at the driver to stop, but he refused to. Fearing for his life while being dragged by the vehicle, the trooper fired his agency issued pistol at the driver. The trooper was thrown from the car into the center median and was found by another trooper not far from where the vehicle came to rest.

Howard County emergency medical services personnel responded to the scene. They pronounced the driver deceased at the scene.

The trooper-involved shooting is being investigated by the Maryland State Police Homicide Unit, as is procedure. The scene is being processed by Maryland State Police crime scene technicians. Troopers have observed multiple alcohol containers inside the vehicle and a machete was under the driver’s seat within his reach.

Upon completion, the investigation will be submitted to the Howard County State’s Attorney’s Office for review. The Howard County State’s Attorney and members of his staff visited the scene this morning and will continue to receive briefings from investigators.

Investigators from the Maryland State Police Internal Affairs Division responded to the scene. As is procedure in a trooper involved shooting, an investigation will be conducted by the Internal Affairs Division.

Both troopers at the scene have been placed on administrative leave as the investigation continues. This is procedure whenever a trooper is involved in a shooting.

Additional assistance is being provided by troopers from the Waterloo Barrack and investigators from the Criminal Enforcement Division.

Due to the extensive area of the scene along northbound I-95, morning traffic had to be diverted around the area. MDOT State Highway Administration personnel responded to assist with detours.

The investigation is continuing.

NOTE: A briefing will be held at the Maryland State Police Waterloo Barrack, 7777 Washington Blvd., Jessup, Md., at 10:30 a.m. today.

Disclaimer: In the U.S.A., all persons accused of a crime by the State are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. See: https://so.md/presumed-innocence. Additionally, all of the information provided above is solely from the perspective of the respective law enforcement agency and does not provide any direct input from the accused or persons otherwise mentioned. You can find additional information about the case by searching the Maryland Judiciary Case Search Database using the accused's name and date of birth. The database is online at https://so.md/mdcasesearch . Persons named who have been found innocent or not guilty of all charges in the respective case, and/or have had the case ordered expunged by the court can have their name, age, and city redacted by following the process defined at https://so.md/expungeme.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Seems the weapon of choice for Hispanics is a machete. Not the first reference I've seen.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Seems the weapon of choice for Hispanics is a machete. Not the first reference I've seen.
When I was in El Salvador and Guatemala, the "civil" police were armed with machetes only...no firearms. Only the national police carried firearms. I thought that was interesting.

I brought back a beautiful machete in a very ornately decorated sheath as a souvenir. Lost that in the house fire too.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
When I was in El Salvador and Guatemala, the "civil" police were armed with machetes only...no firearms. Only the national police carried firearms. I thought that was interesting.

I brought back a beautiful machete in a very ornately decorated sheath as a souvenir. Lost that in the house fire too.
When we were in Guatemala there were more people walking around with AKs strapped to their backs then not.. and we were stranded on the side of the road in a broke down bus watching them..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
When we were in Guatemala there were more people walking around with AKs strapped to their backs then not.. and we were stranded on the side of the road in a broke down bus watching them..

That was probably later on...I was there in the mid 70s. We never left San Salvador unarmed but the real civil war had not gotten fully underway then.

My friend there that runs what remains of his families once extensive agribusinesses (plantations) now has a small army permanently based at the largest of his plantations, where he consolidated a lot of the previous entities in to one larger one. Wall-equipped and trained mercenaries. Cost of doing business.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That was probably later on...I was there in the mid 70s. We never left San Salvador unarmed but the real civil war had not gotten fully underway then.

My friend there that runs what remains of his families once extensive agribusinesses (plantations) now has a small army permanently based at the largest of his plantations, where he consolidated a lot of the previous entities in to one larger one. Wall-equipped and trained mercenaries. Cost of doing business.
That sounds more like what we saw. Our tour guide was looking for work, and was on the phone with his wife most of the time, as this was his last tour/ paycheck as the Cruise Lines were no longer going to stop there (we were the last). He apologized and explained what was going on. He had a PhD in History specializing in So America and the Aztecs.. and he no longer had a job. The country was too corrupt and too dangerous for the Cruise Lines to risk stopping.

He explained to us you NEVER saw a new car in Guatemala, you could buy a very nice house, an estate for not much money, but you NEVER drove a nice car outside of your compound. Never showed you had money to the locals or you would disappear. Everyone was armed to the teeth..

AND it was where all our commercial vehicles (including our bus) went to die. We were driving from the dock when I realized all of the signs in the bus were in English, and only in English. No Spanish translations. It was a VERY old (but in good shape inside) Greyhound bus from the US.. and as we were driving meeting plantation trucks, they were all the same.. LONG retired 18 wheelers, I would bet not one had less than a million miles on it.

Was a weird experience.. especially knowing not one person on our bus were armed (against Cruise Ship policy), yet we were surrounded by 100s that were.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We traveled from San Salvador all the way to Antiqua, Guatemala in a 1970s Jeep Waggoneer station wagon. The purpose was to have new tires mounted on the Waggy, drive around sight seeing for a week to make them look a bit used and dirty, and then cross back through border control and home to San Salvador. Tires were so heavily taxed in El Salvador compared to Guatemala, at the time, that the cost savings on just four tires justified that risky trip. Stayed in an ancient residence-turned-hotel in Antigua that was stunning..on the inside. On the street was nothing but high adobe and stone walls and you entered through a massive wooden double door. Inside...a huge courtyard with all manner of plants, fountains, etc all ringed by three stories of rooms with continuous balcony ringing the courtyard space. Parking for your vehicle was inside the amazing compound too.