Trophy Rock Fish season starting soon

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I have a boat chartered for opening day May 1st. The captain said we are still a go as long as the group is no more than ten. I am looking forward to getting out of the house and on the water for a little bit. I have four slots to fill and split the costs. Hopefully the rock will be plenty.

Bonehead

I thought that was the only type of fishing allowed now, subsistence. To me trophy rock doesn't fit that description. No judging just saying don't get caught.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I thought that was the only type of fishing allowed now, subsistence. To me trophy rock doesn't fit that description. No judging just saying don't get caught.
Well, we eat what we catch so it is subsistence. First mate filet them and we divide the catch up equally. I call them trophy rock because they are the large ones compared to smaller frying pan sized.
From what I read, although outdoor activities are permitted under Gov. Larry Hogan’s “stay at home" order issued, recreational boating and sailing are strictly limited while commercial fishing is not included in the restrictions so it is permitted as long as no more then ten people on the boat.

Last edited:

Bonehead

I am sure the captain, if he values his license will comply with DNR regulations. This is just uncharted territory, this situation.

I didn't want to bend the rules about the fishing for subsistence only, but I just came across this notice from a while back from the DNR. See paragraph 3. It clearly says that both recreational and commercial fishing are allowed (and doesn't mention having to be for subsistence only). But it says that recreational boating is restricted. Doesn't this sound like it's ok to recreationally fish or am I misreading something?
https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2020/04/02/dnr-clarifies-state-order-forbids-recreational-boating/

While I'm at it, does anyone know of any open boat ramps in the area? Forest Run? Clarkes Landing? etc.

It's subsistence fishing for the Capt., and Mate.
But that's not what it says in this directive. Specifically: In simplest terms, recreational and commercial fishing are allowed as long as the other directives are observed, but recreational boating is not, according to the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR). It does go on to talk about subsistence fishing. It's just a gray area and people are interpreting it how they want anyway.

Last edited:

Bonehead

I have a boat chartered for opening day May 1st. The captain said we are still a go as long as the group is no more than ten. I am looking forward to getting out of the house and on the water for a little bit. I have four slots to fill and split the costs. Hopefully the rock will be plenty.
I wish you luck !