Truck Shopping...

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
My F250 diesel has earned it's retirement from towing my horse trailer around and being at risk to be stolen. In 2015 it was stolen twice from my apartment complex parking lot in SC. Both times it was recovered and insurance paid to fix it. In December this year (16) I had to get the whole top half of my engine rebuilt because of the dang quirk the 2004's had. So time to replace because it is starting to cost more than getting a new one and I am NOT a mechanic.

I am looking at the GMC Denali (2500) or the Nissan Titan XD Diesel. The Titan is able to pull an aluminum horse trailer with ease and I only have one horse. The negative is if I ever get 5th wheel I am not sure if it could handle towing that. Dealerships JUMP on me when I walk in and I want to just run away...I am waiting until my credit score hits the magic number of low interest rates and save more of a down payment.

Truck people what do you think?

Bman

I am no mechanic either and I really don't have any preference for one make over the others. I drive a 2001 Toyota Tacoma now and when it finally quits I'm considering getting a Ram truck with the Rambox storage built into the sides of the bed, that may not work if towing a 5th wheel or horse trailer but it sure would be handy for my fishing rods and metal detecting gear.

NextJen

Raisin cane
My SO is a mechanic. He never has anything good to say about Nissan - but, I'm not sure if that includes their diesel.
He swears by his 2006 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Diesel.

I wish you luck in your new purchase when the time comes!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It depends...

You mention the possibility of a 5th wheel.. what's the probability that it will actually be in your future??

5th Wheel camper or 5th wheel horse trailer??

What do you think the maximum weight is that you'll tow??

Most of the 1/2 ton trucks out there (1/2 ton is a HUGE misnomer) can tow up to 11,000 - 12,000 pounds without any modifications.. and if you look at the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel it gets almost 18 MPG while towing upwards of 6,000 pounds. During testing it was getting 50% better mileage than it's competitors (while under tow).

Ford F150 ECOBOOST has a huge payload and even bigger tow capacity..moreso than even it's sister F150 with the 5.0L and it's been out a LONG time, all the bugs should be worked out.

I've been wanting an F250 or F350 myself, but right now don't really have a need for one.. what comes first? The camper or the truck??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'd ask the dealership if you can bring your trailer to see how their truck tows.. Not many hills around here to try to get up though.. maybe try the Solomon's bridge..

Wishbone

That EcoBoost always worries me.

With all that power generated in such a small package, how fast is it reaching it's end of life?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I'd ask the dealership if you can bring your trailer to see how their truck tows.. Not many hills around here to try to get up though.. maybe try the Solomon's bridge..
I can loan you some. :yay:

Chris0nllyn

FYI, the Nissan Titan XDs run a 5L Cummins. Unfortunately, it's mated to a ####ty Aisin transmission. The Nissan's DEF system blows also. (As does any new diesel with the DEF system)

If you're going to be towing a bunch, I'd look into a Duramax with Allison transmission.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

With all that power generated in such a small package, how fast is it reaching it's end of life?

Diesels run on the same premise.. either Turbo Diesel or Bi Turbo.. to make big HP but MASSIVE Torque..
3.5L ecoboost (twin-Turbo) was first released in 2011, some minor growing pains, but it's become Ford's flagship engine.

Now found in the Raptor and in the GT

the "normal" EcoBoost V6 is rated at 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque, but it's not too difficult to get the ecoboost well over 600HP.. (GT is rated at 647 HP and 550 lbs ft of torque)

Raptor will be about 500 pounds lighter this year, and the "EcoBoost" (I think is a TERRIBLE name for it) will give it over a 40HP boost over the big V-8.

After 7 years, can reliability be proven??

Wishbone

I've had several trucks that made high marks, 312k, 388k, 149k on my current ride. Oldest one went 20 years.

Over the years, with other vehicles I've experienced small engine life to be very short, particularly when handling heavy work.

black dog

Free America

^^This^^

Ford has the International diesel, Ram has the Cummings. Both are really good, but Ford's Power Stroke has a lot more torque and better fuel efficiency. You can get it in the F250, too.

You know Ford hasn't used International diesels since 2010.. since then diesels have been built in house.
I'm also for another 250 or 350, its better to have more truck than trailer.
I'm on my third F350 myself.

NTNG

I bought an Eco Boost F-150 when they 1st came out. It had serious software issues, and every time I took it to the dealer, they would push a software patch. I had it in twice because it went into "limp mode" as I was accelerating. The last time it did it was as I was merging onto 95. When I got it home, I traded it in for a standard V-8. I'm hoping that they have worked all the bugs out. I see now they have the auto shut down/restart when you come to a light or stop sign. No thanks...

This_person

You know Ford hasn't used International diesels since 2010.. since then diesels have been built in house.
I'm also for another 250 or 350, its better to have more truck than trailer.
I'm on my third F350 myself.

Actually, I didn't know that. Looked it up to prove you wrong, and found you are correct. Thank you! :yay: :cheers: