Truck Shopping...

I bought an Eco Boost F-150 when they 1st came out. It had serious software issues, and every time I took it to the dealer, they would push a software patch. I had it in twice because it went into "limp mode" as I was accelerating. The last time it did it was as I was merging onto 95. When I got it home, I traded it in for a standard V-8. I'm hoping that they have worked all the bugs out. I see now they have the auto shut down/restart when you come to a light or stop sign. No thanks...

GMC has a similar system, shuts down 4 cyls when there's no big load. Works very well, never had an issue it it. However, the transmission shifter and the 4cyl/8cyl mode don't seem to talk to each other and you can get into a state where they both can't figure out what gear to use, and you get a SLAM in the transfer case and rear. Others with this setup have said the same thing. GMC Sierra 1500 5.4L.

As far as sizing, I learned to always oversize, bigger motor and tranny than just what you need. The engine and tranny both have fewer issues and last longer.

Clem72

I bought an Eco Boost F-150 when they 1st came out. It had serious software issues, and every time I took it to the dealer, they would push a software patch. I had it in twice because it went into "limp mode" as I was accelerating. The last time it did it was as I was merging onto 95. When I got it home, I traded it in for a standard V-8. I'm hoping that they have worked all the bugs out. I see now they have the auto shut down/restart when you come to a light or stop sign. No thanks...

Well there is a reason they say never to buy the first model year of a vehicle. Never had an issue with my 2016.

As to those Nissan Titans, I never drove one but I know several people who love theirs and swear by them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Limp Mode was an issue with condensation build up in the intercooler.. had the same thing happen to me on the Eastern Shore on a very wet rainy day.

Went into full throttle to merge into traffic, intake picks up the moisture from the intercooler and knocks out your engine. This isn't just Ford that suffers from this, pretty much any car or truck that runs turbos.. Couple of easy fixes online, a drain in your intercooler, or a catch can to catch all the nasty byproducts produced by the turbos before it gets to your intercooler or your combustion line..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Reading all these posts reminds me once again why I'm happy that the newest diesel truck I own is a 2002 7.3L. The rest are older than that. The complexity of the newest diesel engines is mind-blowing.

NTNG

Limp Mode was an issue with condensation build up in the intercooler.. had the same thing happen to me on the Eastern Shore on a very wet rainy day.

Went into full throttle to merge into traffic, intake picks up the moisture from the intercooler and knocks out your engine. This isn't just Ford that suffers from this, pretty much any car or truck that runs turbos.. Couple of easy fixes online, a drain in your intercooler, or a catch can to catch all the nasty byproducts produced by the turbos before it gets to your intercooler or your combustion line..

Mine was apparently an "ignition exciter (2)" that either failed or were getting a bad input. Either way, the onboard computer said "Limp Home" When the system worked right, it was great, awesome acceleration and mileage. When it didn't, well, it sucked.

black dog

Free America
Reading all these posts reminds me once again why I'm happy that the newest diesel truck I own is a 2002 7.3L. The rest are older than that. The complexity of the newest diesel engines is mind-blowing.

Yep me too, mines a 2000 and so far it's rust free with a little over 200,000.
I'll keep it until it's worthless.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL

If I knew something about trucks etc I would end up keeping it. Also it was stolen twice from me in one year. The first time it didn't take long to fix. The 2nd time it took about 2 months to get back because it was stuck in the mud and the business owner didn't want the tow truck to pull it out and rip up the grass until the ground was less saturated and that took about a week. The windows were left open that whole time so the seats and interior were saturated with water. The business owner TRIED to sue me because they didn't have very good coverage and felt that I should pay for the things that were stolen. My insurance company's lawyers stopped that real quick since it was stolen. They tried to go after me civilly - it was thrown out of court quickly. I felt bad for them but they should have had better insurance when running a business and storing expensive electronics in a garage with just a padlock. IF my truck hadn't gotten stuck in the mud they would have gotten away with a lot more.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
My SO is a mechanic. He never has anything good to say about Nissan - but, I'm not sure if that includes their diesel.
He swears by his 2006 Dodge 2500 with the Cummins Diesel.

I wish you luck in your new purchase when the time comes!
Funny how brand loyalties go isn't it? I ABSOLUTELY ABHOR, DETEST and DESPISE anything MOPAR. I had a 2000 Durango that bit me in the ass and I will always bad mouth their vehicles. In fact, the only way I would willingly own a Doge vehicle is if one was given to me (free) and I had to tag it just long enough to drive it a GM dealer to get a 2500. OTOH, I love my Nissans. I am on number 3 since 1994, 1 truck and 2 cars and other than consumables and deer strikes they've been good to go.

</endrant>

I'd have to go with a Chevy 2500 with the Duramax only if absolutely needed. I wouldn't want to end up in another tread on here. :lol:

black dog

Free America
Funny how brand loyalties go isn't it? I ABSOLUTELY ABHOR, DETEST and DESPISE anything MOPAR. I had a 2000 Durango that bit me in the ass and I will always bad mouth their vehicles. In fact, the only way I would willingly own a Doge vehicle is if one was given to me (free) and I had to tag it just long enough to drive it a GM dealer to get a 2500. OTOH, I love my Nissans. I am on number 3 since 1994, 1 truck and 2 cars and other than consumables and deer strikes they've been good to go.

</endrant>

I'd have to go with a Chevy 2500 with the Duramax only if absolutely needed. I wouldn't want to end up in another tread on here. :lol:

All I hear in my mind when someone says " my Dodge " is the sound of the starter motor in a Dodge slant 6 starting up... its worse than a Chevy that needs starter shims put in it....
Like fingernails on a chalk board to me.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Hubby has a 2017 GMC truck. We LOVE it!!! It is incredibly comfortable, hauls our boat like a champ, has all the bells and whistles. He decided against the 'Denali' version because the $10K cost didn't come with enough "additional" features to warrant the extra expense.

Pete

Repete
^^This^^

Ford has the International diesel, Ram has the Cummings. Both are really good, but Ford's Power Stroke has a lot more torque and better fuel efficiency. You can get it in the F250, too.
Not anymore. The 6.7 Power stroke is a Ford design. I believe (without looking it up because I am lazy) that they quit using International in 2011.

Pete

Repete
It depends...

You mention the possibility of a 5th wheel.. what's the probability that it will actually be in your future??

5th Wheel camper or 5th wheel horse trailer??

What do you think the maximum weight is that you'll tow??

Most of the 1/2 ton trucks out there (1/2 ton is a HUGE misnomer) can tow up to 11,000 - 12,000 pounds without any modifications.. and if you look at the Dodge 1/2 ton diesel it gets almost 18 MPG while towing upwards of 6,000 pounds. During testing it was getting 50% better mileage than it's competitors (while under tow).

Ford F150 ECOBOOST has a huge payload and even bigger tow capacity..moreso than even it's sister F150 with the 5.0L and it's been out a LONG time, all the bugs should be worked out.

I've been wanting an F250 or F350 myself, but right now don't really have a need for one.. what comes first? The camper or the truck??
It's not necessarily the max tow weight its the pin weight of the 5th wheel that would rule out a F-150, or any half ton. The weight directly over the rear axle would swamp a light duty truck.

Hubby has a 2017 GMC truck. We LOVE it!!! It is incredibly comfortable, hauls our boat like a champ, has all the bells and whistles. He decided against the 'Denali' version because the $10K cost didn't come with enough "additional" features to warrant the extra expense.

Same with my 2014 5.4L. It's been solid as a a rock, very comfortable. Just towed a loaded 12x8 box trailer to NC and back, hardly knew it was back there. It doesn't have all the new bells and whistles the 2017 has and I've been tempted to upgrade, but have too many other pokers in the fire right now which are taking my $$.

Pete

Repete
I was a Chevy guy for years when I had light duty, 1/2 ton trucks. They ride nice and the interior was superior. When it came time to tow something big I opted for a F-250 Power stroke. I bought a left over 2013 XLT Lariat in 2014. The 2015's came out already and they were motivated. I got a great deal on it. Aside from that deal a comparable GM, Chevy or GMC was about $10K more and towed about the same. It is my first Ford truck and I am quite pleased. Fit, finish and comfort are great. Ford has always had better seating than GM. It is not as refined inside as the GM in my opinion but it is highly functional and more "worky" than GM who tends to lean luxury feel.

That said I pull a 13,000 pound 5th wheel and the 6.7 PS is an incredible motor. I have never wanted for more power. Up hills, in the mountains, nothing slows it down. It is a larger truck than the GM and I believe it lends to stability because dragging a 13K pound 5th wheel that is 13 feet tall and 35 feet long is effortless and completely stable. The pin weight on my trailer is 1,000 pounds so even an F-250 would sag under load. I installed air bags on the rear to compensate for the sag. Before I hook up I pump them to 50 PSI then lower the trailer on it. No sag, perfectly level. Other than the air bags I have done no modifications.

** My F-250 has the "Snow plow package" which means it has F-350 springs in front to handle the plow weight. That with the air bags on the rear it is essentially an F-350. Basically there is very little difference in an F-250 and F-350. Maybe a few more pounds of capacity because the F-350 has an additional leaf spring. Engine, brakes, frame all the same.

Cons

I have noticed so far. In tow - haul mode it moves the shift points to get more RPM AND it senses down hill and if you touch the brake it downshifts to use engine braking to assist. It works great "most of the time" but on occasion it gets a little carried away on sharp downhill grades at speed and will down shift too much for my comfort. It revs the engine quite a bit. I just reach to the shifter and hit the upshift button and it stops that. Because the truck is so stout I don't really use tow-haul mode much.

GM 4WD technology is better. It could be because mine is a much larger truck but in 4 Hi it walks the front end a lot. My Chevy's were great in "auto" which Ford does not have. It's 2WD, 4 Hi or 4 Lo. Again it could be because ti is a bigger truck capable of much heavier weights and the "auto" would not conceivably handle a load. That said I don't use 4WD much at all or in mud where walking doesn't matter. If you have it in 4 Hi on dry pavement you will notice it. The GM 2500 might have the same issue I don't know. The 4WD is great mind you its just not s smooth as my GM experience in a 1500.

When I first got it I had a check engine light. It was a bad sensor that took 2 visits to replace. It happened again about 3 months later and they replaced another sensor. Since that time I have had not one singe issue. Operates perfectly everytime.

Not a con but something you might need to know if you don't already. All new diesels are required to use Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to cut the smoke. It works great because I cannot make my truck smoke even if I try. Very clean. There is a fill port next to the fuel cap where you put in DEF. It holds about 3 gallons and will last 4-6 months with regular driving. When I tow it still lasts forever but of course less. Since it works just as its supposed to it is not a con, and the cost of DEF is nothing really, about $12 for a 3 gallon jug. That said it is more equipment that could break. Many people go to a diesel shop when the warranty expires and have it removed. They claim it gives then about 10 HP boost. My answer is who the f cares about 10 HP since it tows like a fiend to begin with and its not smoking up the neighborhood? The kids (see HollyRock thread) disable DEF and filter and run around like #######s "Rolling Coal" belching out vast clouds of black smoke. I feel this is pretty stupid and I am going to leave it just as is.

I have a friend who bought a 2014 Burgundy F-250 and his has had issues. It is the only F-250 I have heard of that has had so many sensor issues and electrical stuff going on. His is what I would consider a lemon (All makes have them on occasion) -or- he bought it because it was nice and used it for a daily commuter about 10 miles a day and the engine never got up to true operating temp. The biggest load it ever hauled was an Ikea box. That could be partly the issue. That said if you see a Burgundy 2014 F-250 Power stroke at a local dealer with low miles pass on that one. :lol:

Looks like more "cons" but that might be misleading. I could not recommend an F-250 more. It is a great truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I have noticed so far. In tow - haul mode it moves the shift points to get more RPM AND it senses down hill and if you touch the brake it downshifts to use engine braking to assist. It works great "most of the time" but on occasion it gets a little carried away on sharp downhill grades at speed and will down shift too much for my comfort. It revs the engine quite a bit.

My GMC does exactly the same thing, but only if I have cruise control engaged. Revs big time on a downhill.

Pete

Repete
My GMC does exactly the same thing, but only if I have cruise control engaged. Revs big time on a downhill.

Yea mine does it if you get harder on the brake. If you just toe it a little it down shifts one gear. If you get harder on the brake it senses an urgency and keeps dropping. It scared me once and now I am used to it and know when I need to have my thumb on the button in case it does it.