Trudy, help me out here

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Sigh

yes, 2019 is the first year retail and restaurant workers mess things up
I think some of this article explain people's perception of why some do well while others struggle to get ahead. Given how you perceive an issue determines which party ideas you align yourself with.

Recap
Poor is beyond your control
D = 69%
R = 31%

Poor is due to lack of effort
D = 18%
R = 48%

Recap
Rich worked hard
D = 22%
R = 71%

Rich had an unfair advantage
D = 62&
R = 18%

link
The Rich typically have an advantage, whether family or mental. It’s not a negative, but some folks just have bad wiring which they’ll never overcome,

truby20

Fighting like a girl
If you live in a reasonable state you can live quite nicely working in the service industry. Maryland, not so much because state taxes are ridiculous and they rape you coming and going, but you can be a food server in Texas and own a home just fine.

The little bitchers are the ones who ruin their state by voting for high taxes and property values, then cry when they can't afford anything.
I agree, I thought when I lived in DC that income taxes were bad, I had no idea that MD was so much higher!

I loved living in NoVA, super safe and low taxes

truby20

Fighting like a girl
They're clearly not educated if they can't calculate something as simple as income vs. outgo. The youngsters you're referring to have been commercialized and pop cultured to the point that that they think it's third world torture to not have the latest greatest iPhone. They have all these toys and gewgaws, yet "can't afford" to have their own home or pay for their own healthcare.

They spent a chit ton of money majoring in "Feminist Studies" and other worthless endeavors, and are now unemployable. They spent their college years "protesting" and throwing themselves on the floor like a toddler instead of getting an education and making contacts.

Had they lived within their means and learned a trade - plumbing, electrical work, automotive repair, etc - they'd be debt free and have a career that isn't going away any time soon.

They could have gone into the military and not only learned a trade, but come out with job opportunities galore AND a GI Bill college fund. Give it 20 years and you "retire" at 38 with a guaranteed lifetime income and medical care, and are still young enough to embark on a second career.

Choices. They made bad ones. And their parents get a punch in the throat as well because they should have steered the kid toward something with a future that they could afford.

Not to mention there are plenty of young people who are doing just fine. The made realistic decisions for their future and are living a peachy adult life.
Only 0.4 % of degrees were in feminist studies and other pointless degrees

we are also in two wars, it’s a bit different then when you came of age, I can understand why an 18 year old will hesitate when signing up to spend months in the Middle East just so they can afford groceries

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vria has said repeatedly that she is Gen-X, they were not drafted for Vietnam.

No, but I came up during the Cold War when we were convinced nuclear war with the Soviet Union would break out any second. And I know a number of people who enlisted in response to 9/11. There's always some conflict going on and it doesn't stop young people from enlisting.

And I also know a couple guys who took jobs on some freaking oil rig out in the middle of god knows where because it was a year of top dollar pay.

The whiners I see making excuses as to why they can't get off their ass and get a job are mostly privileged progbot kids on TV and in the news whose Mommy and Dad apparently handed everything to them. The young people I know personally worked with their parents to put a plan together, went to an affordable school, joined the military, started learning a trade, or some other adulting thing.

mitzi

The whiners I see making excuses as to why they can't get off their ass and get a job are mostly privileged progbot kids on TV and in the news whose Mommy and Dad apparently handed everything to them

Exactly! Even if someone is getting cash assistance or Section 8 (only those with dependents), they have to work part time (think a lot of the fast food workers) or volunteer unless they're disabled. I know this from someone I know that needed help for awhile.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Exactly! Even if someone is getting cash assistance or Section 8 (only those with dependents), they have to work part time (think a lot of the fast food workers) or volunteer unless they're disabled. I know this from someone I know that needed help for awhile.
That reminds me - my son also volunteers in the community. He is part of a group of individuals that gives back to the community in many different ways. He volunteers his time, participates in fundraising for different non-profits, or donating items for different causes.

nutz

Sigh

yes, 2019 is the first year retail and restaurant workers mess things up

And why are you at Applebee’s? All that food is microwaved. You should have just gone to Panera, same quality of food, just a cheaper price 🤷🏼‍♀️
Duh, Panera doesnt have beer. Never said I ordered or had food.

truby20

Fighting like a girl
A point I forgot to mention, but came to me a few days ago... When someone pursues a Bachelors degree they are in school an additional 4 years, that is 4 income earning years taken out of their calculus. So in addition to accumulating debt, they aren't accumulating wealth and seniority in a company.

What is the solution? Can we roll back the degree requirement?

I know this wouldn't be popular, but Mayor Pete is promoting it, maybe one doesn't need to sit in an education hall half their life to contribute?

SamSpade

A point I forgot to mention, but came to me a few days ago... When someone pursues a Bachelors degree they are in school an additional 4 years, that is 4 income earning years taken out of their calculus. So in addition to accumulating debt, they aren't accumulating wealth and seniority in a company.

I know this wouldn't be popular, but Mayor Pete is promoting it, maybe one doesn't need to sit in an education hall half their life to contribute?

I've often wondered if we could ever have an alternative track to academic scholarship other than college.
And that's mainly because - since college for the last fifty to a hundred years is largely the stepping stone to more advanced careers, it needs to be changed.

When young - mostly rich - men went to college over a hundred years ago, their future - for many of them - was pre-ordained. Thus the purpose of college education was a drawn out process whereupon they got a well rounded - a "universal" (hence, university) education. As a consequence, in ensuing years, colleges and universities have followed suit and insisted people take courses in art, humanities, history, English - when they are actually THERE to get a degree in chemical engineering - so they give up the equivalent of a YEAR of their time to learn stuff that almost certainly will have NO bearing on their chosen career. While I was required to take courses which permitted me to learn about the Roman Republic - or North American religious history - or art history - or Nazi Germany - I would easily have dropped them all to either graduate a year earlier or learn more about my future career. College is now and has been - career training - and it's high time we designed it that way.

I certainly wouldn't be dismissive of the MATH I needed for engineering - it was essential. But since my degree was in electrical engineering, I certainly didn't need organic chemistry. In fact, I could have almost cut my time in college in HALF, had my academics focused on making me an engineer rather than being "well rounded".

Hence, something I've seen - elsewhere. In some countries, you can get a certificate of study which shows you've passed an exclusive line of study in say, botany. The equivalent of maybe 50-60 credits - but you KNOW the stuff. This falls along the lines of - I don't know if they still DO this - young persons who go to these technical courses to come out A-plus certified in networking - or become certified as a Microsoft or Cisco certified professional - and you don't need a degree. You just have to study and pass the exam, which can be daunting. You won't be qualified for much else - but most of what I've done for the last thirty years, I have learned on the job. EVERY computer system and language I know I learned on the job. Hell, when I was in college, they were teaching Fortran and Pascal. And we used keypunch machines.

I'd like to see industry start to accept and sponsor these kinds of alternatives to college. It could easily make colleges cheaper and more competitive, rather than the rubber stamps they've become.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
As a consequence, in ensuing years, colleges and universities have followed suit and insisted people take courses in art, humanities, history, English - when they are actually THERE to get a degree in chemical engineering - so they give up the equivalent of a YEAR of their time to learn stuff that almost certainly will have NO bearing on their chosen career.

This is why I never went to college or a trade school - Lincoln Tech [probably Gov requirements for grants] wanted me to take 4 yrs of English and some Math Courses ...... dude I want to lean car mechanics NOT English, I had enough of useless diagramming sentences in High School.

... time frame was 88 / 90 after I was out of the Military ... so I cashed in my education savings and lived off the money for the next 6 months

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
..... A-plus certified in networking - or become certified as a Microsoft or Cisco certified professional -

one of my 1st IT JOBS in 2000 had previously hired 2 different MCSE's .... one dude could not add RAM to a File Server, the other could not add a SCSI Hard Drive ..... I'd been playing with SCSI Hard Drives since 1990 .... that is all Mac's came with

now my 18 yrs experience speaks for itself ......

Potential Employer in an interview: Do you have any Certs :sshrug:

Nope I Don't Believe In Them ...... My knowledge does not expire just because Microsoft Publishes a new Version of Windows, but I do have 18 yrs experience ...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

In any of the technical fields, engineering for example, it is becoming clear that four years isn’t long enough.

black dog

Free America
one of my 1st IT JOBS in 2000 had previously hired 2 different MCSE's .... one dude could not add RAM to a File Server, the other could not add a SCSI Hard Drive ..... I'd been playing with SCSI Hard Drives since 1990 .... that is all Mac's came with

now my 18 yrs experience speaks for itself ......

Potential Employer in an interview: Do you have any Certs :sshrug:

Nope I Don't Believe In Them ...... My knowledge does not expire just because Microsoft Publishes a new Version of Windows, but I do have 18 yrs experience ...

Interesting, I would never hire any welder that didnt have valid 3G and or 6G pipe certs.... I constantly hear I'm certified 10 years ago....
That ain't valid...We do pressure pipe and lots of stainless sanitary pipe.
Its one thing to have a printer that doesent work, its another to lose a boiler tube or a 4" stainless pressure pipe where folks are working from poor craftsmanship....

black dog

Free America
In any of the technical fields, engineering for example, it is becoming clear that four years isn’t long enough.

Hey lets ride the elevators to the top of this new 55 story building that was designed and built with only high school education from design, all trades to having a U & O...

stgislander

PREMO Member
I remember the talk back in the late 80's that because technology was changing so fast AND because the basics were still needed, universities were considering making their EE programs five years long.