Trump Is On Solid Legal Ground In Declaring A Border Emergency To Build A Wall

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A review of existing federal laws makes clear that President Donald Trump has clear statutory authority to build a border wall pursuant to a declaration of a national emergency. Arguments to the contrary either mischaracterize or completely ignore existing federal emergency declarations and appropriations laws that delegate to the president temporary and limited authority to reprogram already appropriated funding toward the creation of a border wall between the United States and Mexico.

To analyze the legal basis for Trump’s declaration of a national emergency and subsequent transfer of existing appropriations to respond to the declared emergency, we must begin and end with the actual text of underlying federal laws governing presidential declarations and appropriations of federal funding. The most important text regarding the latter is Section 9 of Article 1 of the U.S. Constitution: “No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law[.]”

This law is what grants Congress the so-called “power of the purse” and effectively makes Congress the most powerful branch of the federal government. Not one dime may be spent by the federal government in the absence of an act of Congress. As a result, no mere declaration of emergency by the president is sufficient to allow the expenditure of funding that Congress has not already appropriated.

This_person

That it's legal does not make it "right".

Something needs done. Declaring decades of national policy an "emergency" is not exactly the right way to use the authority Congress abdicated to the Executive.

I'm all for something being done, but I am personally against the declaration of a national emergency.

Yes, I get the people dying. Yes, I get the drastically-larger financial burdens of having the people coming in as compared to the cost of building a deterring border security structure of any kind. Yes, I get that it's a lie that the majority of drugs are coming in via ports of entry, because we have no idea what's coming in via the open borders - there's no way to quantify where the "majority" is coming through. Yes, I get the humanitarian crisis of people trafficking, etc.

That doesn't make this an emergent thing. That doesn't make the many years it will take to build the security structure/wall/fence/whatever as the right action to take for an "emergency".

Emergency response should be short-term solutions to take while building the long-term solutions. Long term solutions are not emergency response. We don't consider building a new house "emergency response" to a house on fire. We don't consider on-going medical treatment and physical therapy "emergency response" to a car crash victim.

I would be all for President Trump stationing an Army guy every 200' along the border, to be relieved every two hours until an actual solution is provided by Congress and signed by the president. Taking DoD MILCON is not "emergency" response.