Trump pleads the Fifth in NY Tax probe

StmarysCity79

Former president Donald Trump on Wednesday declined to answer questions and invoked his right against self-incrimination during a deposition with investigators working for New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office.

Mr Trump’s refusal to answer questions could shield him from criminal liability in any cases brought as a result of Ms James’ probe (though under New York law she herself cannot bring criminal charges against him or his company)

But because the New York Attorney General’s investigation is playing out in civil court, legal experts say his decision to invoke the Fifth Amendment could be used against him if Ms James files any lawsuits against him or his company as a result of the investigation.

Trump has previously criticized those who exercise their Fifth Amendment rights. “You see the mob takes the Fifth,” the former president said during a 2016 campaign rally in Iowa. “If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”

Bare-ya-cuda

Former president Donald Trump on Wednesday declined to answer questions and invoked his right against self-incrimination during a deposition with investigators working for New York Attorney General Letitia James’ office.

Mr Trump’s refusal to answer questions could shield him from criminal liability in any cases brought as a result of Ms James’ probe (though under New York law she herself cannot bring criminal charges against him or his company)

But because the New York Attorney General’s investigation is playing out in civil court, legal experts say his decision to invoke the Fifth Amendment could be used against him if Ms James files any lawsuits against him or his company as a result of the investigation.

Trump has previously criticized those who exercise their Fifth Amendment rights. “You see the mob takes the Fifth,” the former president said during a 2016 campaign rally in Iowa. “If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”

🥱

HemiHauler

Pleading the 5th in a civil case?

I guess when you continually stiff your attorneys of their fees, the best you can do is a dime-story attorney who offers advice like this.

:lmao: :killingme

stgislander

PREMO Member
Oh let me guess why he'd take the 5th for a civil case.

Could it be because there is a parallel criminal investigation being conducted out of The United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York's office?

StmarysCity79

Could it be because there is a parallel criminal investigation being conducted out of The United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York's office?
Taking the 5th in civil case can be used as an admission of guilt before a jury.

His options were to tell the truth and admit guilt or lie and perjure himself.

He had no other options but take the 5th.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member

If it were me I'd plead the fifth to everything including my name, address and phone number. :lmao:

**** 'em.

StmarysCity79

1660153441601.png

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Taking the 5th in civil case can be used as an admission of guilt before a jury.

Taking the 5th in a civil case can be used as an admission of guilt?? Where?? When?? Who's court? The court of Schiffhead?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If it were me I'd plead the fifth to everything including my name, address and phone number. :lmao:

**** 'em.
Exactly right.. you know damn well whatever he says they are going to twist and/ or find any inconsistency.. I'm sorry President Trump.. did you just say you ate breakfast at 7 am?? But you testified under oath 3 months ago that you ate breakfast at 6:55?? You committed PERJURY!! To the DUNGEON!!

StmarysCity79

Taking the 5th in a civil case can be used as an admission of guilt?? Where?? When?? Who's court? The court of Schiffhead?
“Once a witness in a civil suit has invoked his or her Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination, the trier of fact is entitled to draw an adverse inference from the witness's refusal to testify.” Chaffee v.M

All courts. Please educate yourself before you speak on matters you know nothing about.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
“Once a witness in a civil suit has invoked his or her Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination, the trier of fact is entitled to draw an adverse inference from the witness's refusal to testify.” Chaffee v.M
You forgot a part:

In civil litigation in federal court, a witness's invocation of the Fifth Amendment may give rise to an adverse inference “when independent evidence exists of the fact to which the party refuses to answer.”

So if they ask.. HEY, did you kill a squirrel in your yard yesterday?? And I plead the 5th, they can not assume adverse inference UNLESS they have the body of the squirrel and a video or picture of me killing it!

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You forgot a part:

In civil litigation in federal court, a witness's invocation of the Fifth Amendment may give rise to an adverse inference “when independent evidence exists of the fact to which the party refuses to answer.”
They like to miss the inconvenient parts.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Still doesn't prove him guilty as charged. That's the Judge's decision and doesn't always go as the trier hopes.

ontheriver

Give it a rest HH. What a dork you are. You just can NOT help yourself. Sad face.