Trump proposes cutting food stamps for delivered boxes of food.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
There are certainly people in this country that could use the help of the collective, unfortunately, that is lost on people that abuse the system.

I have NO Problem with people getting assistance - Welfare should not be a LIFETIME Achievement Award However

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Because that kid does exactly that with every lame argument he ever starts...

Poor Ol Sappy is frothing at the keyboard over people in the 'projects' that are going to be discriminated against #becauseTrump

More WHITE People are on Welfare then POC

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I agree, just contesting the idea that anyone who can't should get a job. That's incredibly short sighted.

but you will agree there are 10,000 of thousands of lay about's that could be working, buy why if the can get paid

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"Oh, why should the government decide what people should eat??" Maybe because the government is paying for it?

:nono:

that is Hypocritical because GOP'ers complained about the School Lunch Program - Said Sappy on the front page

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
According to NBC News, the plan, which is still very much in its infancy, is called America's Harvest Box, and would feature a weekly shipment of "100% American" food items including "shelf-stable milk, ready-to-eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry, or fish."

SNAP recipients would be eligible to trade part of their monthly government benefit for enrollment in the Harvest Box program.

"What we do is propose that, for folks who are on food stamps — part, not all — part of their benefits come in the actual sort of — and I don't want to steal somebody's copyright — but a Blue Apron-type program where you actually receive the food instead of receive the cash," explained OMB director Mick Mulvaney.

[clip]

Obviously the program was immediately tagged as cruel and unusual by the Left, and the former SNAP oversight director, under President Obama, appeared in a number of hyperbolic interviews, absolutely aghast at the change. He told Politico that asking SNAP recipients to take the food boxes in lieu of benefits was akin to forcing people to beg the government for meager handouts.

The left-leaning Food Research and Action Center compared the plan to wartime rationing and Soviet bread lines.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27103/trump-administration-suggests-replacing-emily-zanotti

:shrug:

aren't SNAP Recip's 'begging' for CASH ?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Though I avoid the grocery store like the plague, the last time I was behind someone getting "free" food, the cart was full of cookies, sugar cereals, white bread, processed lunch meats and soda, chips. She did pay cash for some of the junk.
The kid she had with her was not well behaved (probably all the sugar!) and I remember thinking this is the next generation coming up!
No fresh fruit or veggies, nothing that I could see was remotely nutritional. How about a whole chicken, bag of carrots, bag of beans, box of pasta, etc?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.... the last time I was behind someone getting "free" food, the cart was full of cookies, sugar cereals, white bread, processed lunch meats and soda, chips. She did pay cash for some of the junk.

You Want Public Assistance ... you get these items [healthy foods] Otherwise YOUR Family Members can feed you

Gov. should contract ALL Food for Welfare Recipients .... if they want junk food, let relatives buy for them

Makavide

Not too talkative
Remember when stupid people got mad because Michelle wanted children to eat healthier and people screamed about food choices and nanny states?

Well lets see what people think about personal choice and freedom of poor people.

"The Trump administration is proposing to save billions in the coming years by giving low-income families a box of government-picked, nonperishable foods every month instead of food stamps.

White House OMB Director Mick Mulvaney on Monday hailed the idea as one that kept up with the modern era, calling it a "Blue Apron-type program" — a nod to the high-end meal kit delivery company that had one of the worst stock debuts in 2017 and has struggled to hold onto customers. Mulvaney said the administration’s plan would not only save the government money, but also provide people with more nutritious food than they have now."

"For one, the Trump administration’s proposal doesn’t include fresh items, like produce or meat, which are the core of Blue Apron and its competitors. Such products perish quickly and are incredibly expensive to ship."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/12/food-stamps-trump-administration-343245

From the article you posted

...Food-stamp recipients would get their remaining monthly allotment on debit cards that they can use in grocery stores, as they do now.

So they would get half their monthly SNAP account in "boxed staples" and the remaining allotment on a SNAP card to be used at their local grocery store/farmers market for the perishables - like produce and meat.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

So they would get half their monthly SNAP account in "boxed staples" and the remaining allotment on a SNAP card to be used at their local grocery store/farmers market for the perishables - like produce and meat.

With Sappy it’s not the truth that matters........it all about Trump

This_person

I wonder if buying truckloads of stuff would be more economical, thus getting MORE overall food for the recipients?