Trump team floats tax on Mexican imports to fund border wall

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
" President Donald Trump supports a tax on imports from Mexico to pay for his proposed border wall, White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Thursday.

“When you look at the plan that’s taking shape now, using comprehensive tax reform as a means to tax imports from countries that we have a trade deficit from, like Mexico,” Spicer said on the flight back from Philadelphia, where Trump addressed congressional Republicans at their annual retreat. “If you tax that $50 billion at 20 percent of imports — which is by the way a practice that 160 other countries do — right now our country’s policy is to tax exports and let imports flow freely in, which is ridiculous. By doing it that we can do $10 billion a year and easily pay for the wall just through that mechanism alone. That’s really going to provide the funding.” "

“If you tax that $50 billion at 20 percent of imports — which is by the way a practice that 160 other countries do — right now our country’s policy is to tax exports and let imports flow freely in, which is ridiculous. By doing it that we can do $10 billion a year and easily pay for the wall just through that mechanism alone. That’s really going to provide the funding.” "

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-tax-mexican-imports-pay-for-border-wall-234239

Chris0nllyn

Gilligan, you may be paying more for your "beer". :lol:

I should have stocked up on Mexican cigarettes while I was there. They were less than $3 a pack.

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Yup. We'll pay a few pennies more for our cheap produce, and a bit more for the Negra Modelo I so like.

Kev_Russell

Amazing. And you guys kept thinking he was going to send them a BILL.

Instead WE are going to get the bill -- twice. Once to pay for the wall and then in they way of inflated prices of goods to cover the tariffs.

You don't think the producers are going to eat those tariffs do you?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Amazing. And you guys kept thinking he was going to send them a BILL.

Trump laid out several ideas during the campaign, none of which was sending them a bill. I have no idea where the progbots even got that idea. Somebody on Buzzfeed must have told them that and they ran with it.

This is another sore spot with me. I have educated intelligent friends who would argue with me quite emphatically about that. I said, go to Trump's website, it's right there. And they would respond with, "Well he lies and you can't believe anything he says."

:crazy:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Instead WE are going to get the bill -- twice. Once to pay for the wall and then in they way of inflated prices of goods to cover the tariffs.

Watch and see. They need us as consumers a lot more than we need them as producers.

basher

LEET
so will we let illegals in first, who we will pay to build the wall, before construction begins? if not, then we pay them and we are giving the money back to mexico....

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Speaking of economics, if the American taxpayer gets a bill to pay off the wall, wouldn't the same American taxpayers receive the tariff money (if it's actually imposed on Mexican goods)? That means the American taxpayer pays once but gets paid back. So, no, we won't pay twice. Maybe you could look into Community College Economics 101.

Hijinx

Speaking of economics, if the American taxpayer gets a bill to pay off the wall, wouldn't the same American taxpayers receive the tariff money (if it's actually imposed on Mexican goods)? That means the American taxpayer pays once but gets paid back. So, no, we won't pay twice. Maybe you could look into Community College Economics 101.

Hire the illegals to build the wall they work cheap.

Chris0nllyn

Do you really believe those companies forced to pay more to import goods are going to eat the cost and NOT raise the cost f their good by 2% to offset the tariff?

It's an indirect tax and the American taxpayers, as well as consumers will be stuck paying for this wall.