Trump's Doral Resort to host 2020 G7 Summit

Chris0nllyn

After months of speculation, acting White House Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney announced on Thursday that next year’s G-7 meeting will be held at President Trump’s resort in Doral, Florida between June 10 and 12.
During a rare and contentious White House press briefing, Mulvaney tried to assuage concerns about "emoluments violations" by the president by telling the media that Trump will not make any money off the event. He said the golf club will be providing the location and services at cost.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trumps-doral-resort-to-host-next-g-7-summit

stgislander

PREMO Member
"the golf club will be providing the location and services at cost. "

Seems reasonable.
Plus per Mulvaney, everyone (delegates, staff, etc.) can stay within the resort. Not like the American delegation stays in one hotel, the Brits in another, the Japanese in a third, etc. (Added bonus, no G7 protestors standing outside the various hotels causing chaos.)

This_person

Plus per Mulvaney, everyone (delegates, staff, etc.) can stay within the resort. Not like the American delegation stays in one hotel, the Brits in another, the Japanese in a third, etc. (Added bonus, no G7 protestors standing outside the various hotels causing chaos.)
I wonder how much this saves the nation in security costs, since the Secret Service must provide protection to all those folks.

Seems this goes way beyond a good thing the more you think about it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
All those pearl clutching reporters and not one...not a single one...could name a better-suited venue.

A most excellent choice. The pointy-stick-in-lefty-eyes aspect of it is just a bonus.

nutz

A multinational tailhook waiting to happen?

• Haha
Reactions: BOP

Chris0nllyn

All those pearl clutching reporters and not one...not a single one...could name a better-suited venue.

To be fair, I don't think that's their job.

As stated:
Mulvaney said that the Trump administration had started with 12 potential sites to host the G-7 summit and that the advance teams came back with a suggestion to hold it at Doral.

Bushy23

A most excellent choice. The pointy-stick-in-lefty-eyes aspect of it is just a bonus.

You would let Trump poop in your mouth if it meant a lefty had to smell it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
To be fair, I don't think that's their job.
So it's their job to baselessly insinuate, as they did, that there must have been other equally suitable venues..without having a clue. Gotcha. I knew you'd back 'em up. It's what you do. ;-)

Reactions: BOP

Chris0nllyn

If there's no profit, I dont see a problem.

I'm not sure how there wouldn't be. To me, and maybe I'm just cynical, Trump was the one who asked "what about Doral?" when locations were being looked at. Doral isn't making much money right now, and provides him with the most revenue of any other hotel or golf club. While Mulvaney (who also is the OMB Director) said the choice will save "millions", he couldn't provide any figures to back that claim. Doral just hosted the pro-Trump American Priority Conference (you may have heard about the highlight of the event?). The US govt. has paid $546/night at Mar-A-Lago for each staffer plus another $1,000 bar tab for White House aides. Eric Trump has stated that the resort would still utilize the Summit's publicity to fill rooms with guests who likely won't be paying "cost". Outside of Doral, Trump has visited his other properties more than 100 times. He's brought foreign leaders so not only is the US govt. paying Trump's organization, but so are foreign governments.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Progs are just pissed because Barry and Willie Jeff had to get elected President to become multimillionaires. Neither of them held a real job in their lives, nor did they have a pot to piss in when they got pulled out of the gutter and spitshined to run for office.

Trump resorts have been hosting government officials and foreign dignitaries since some of you were wearing three-cornered pants. I see no reason why that should change and you all just want something to bitch about.

#orangemanbad

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not sure how there wouldn't be. To me, and maybe I'm just cynical, Trump was the one who asked "what about Doral?" when locations were being looked at. Doral isn't making much money right now, and provides him with the most revenue of any other hotel or golf club. While Mulvaney (who also is the OMB Director) said the choice will save "millions", he couldn't provide any figures to back that claim. Doral just hosted the pro-Trump American Priority Conference (you may have heard about the highlight of the event?). The US govt. has paid $546/night at Mar-A-Lago for each staffer plus another $1,000 bar tab for White House aides. Eric Trump has stated that the resort would still utilize the Summit's publicity to fill rooms with guests who likely won't be paying "cost". Outside of Doral, Trump has visited his other properties more than 100 times. He's brought foreign leaders so not only is the US govt. paying Trump's organization, but so are foreign governments.
So, what venue(s) would have been better choices?

This_person

There wouldn't be because there's no profit made.

When any president does anything, like write a book or gives a speech or paints a picture, more people will pay more for it than they would if the president was never president. That's not the issue. The only issue is the emoluments clause, and this doesn't violate that.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I would have to believe that having the conference at a Trump property, would give the President a psychological advantage.