Trump's shutdown trap?

BOP

https://admin.americanthinker.com/b...FzgCoDopUQV0XlsQR6KkvbE#.XD5jAQSeBfI.facebook

Has President Trump suckered Democrats and the Deep State into a trap that will enable a radical downsizing of the federal bureaucracy? In only five more days of the already "longest government shutdown in history" (25 days and counting, as of today), a heretofore obscure threshold will be reached, enabling permanent layoffs of bureaucrats furloughed 30 days or more.

Don't believe me that federal bureaucrats can be laid off? Well, in bureaucratese, a layoff is called a RIF – a Reduction in Force – and of course, it comes with a slew of civil service protections. But, if the guidelines are followed, bureaucrats can be laid off – as in no more job.

BOP

If this was the plan all along, it would explain why President Trump goaded Chuck and Nancy in his televised meeting with them last year, boasting that he would claim credit for the shutdown. How could they resist a prolonged shutdown when he made it so easy to blame him?

:coffee:

TCROW

I've believed this to be the plan all along. The focus has been on the "non-essential" nature of these furloughed. Seems to me if they disappeared off the federal dole, no one would notice or care. This is swamp draining!

#MAGA

Hijinx

I've believed this to be the plan all along. The focus has been on the "non-essential" nature of these furloughed. Seems to me if they disappeared off the federal dole, no one would notice or care. This is swamp draining!

#MAGA

Pretty sure those riffed would notice and care.

BOP

Pretty sure those riffed would notice and care.

Yeah, they would, and that sucks. Especially since those most likely to get RIF'ed are lower-level, less senior in their organizations.

The one point of disagreement I have with the article is the "15% doing actual work" quote. First of all, I don't know how you actually prove something like that, and second, that's not the Bell Curve. If they'd have said 15% working against the administration, or the majority of people spending 15% doing actual work or something, I wouldn't have questioned it.

BOP

Yep. And then they'd go on to hopefully seek private sector employment and stop being net takers and start producing.

Win/win. #MAGA!

You're assuming that they'll suddenly become productive in the private sector. That's not a sure bet.

TCROW

You're assuming that they'll suddenly become productive in the private sector. That's not a sure bet.

Fair point. But assuming gainful employment, we do know at least they won’t be siphoning private wealth in order to live pay check to pay check.

transporter

So which is the better description of you people? Gullible? Lazy? Stupid?

My bet is all three.
5. How does the length of a shutdown furlough affect the procedures that are used to implement the furlough of employees?

A. The length of a shutdown furlough does not affect the procedures that are used. For most employees, shutdown furloughs lasting 30 calendar days or less (22 workdays) are covered by OPM regulations under 5 CFR part 752, adverse action procedures. Shutdown furloughs lasting 30 calendar days or less (22 workdays) for career appointees in the Senior Executive Service (except reemployed annuitants) are covered under 5 CFR part 359, subpart H. See Question P.6a. below regarding noncareer, limited term, or limited emergency appointees in the SES and reemployed annuitants holding career appointments.

Shutdown furloughs lasting more than 30 calendar days (22 workdays) are also covered by OPM regulations under 5 CFR part 752, adverse action procedures or 5 CFR part 359, subpart H, as applicable. When the shutdown furlough goes beyond 30 days, agencies should treat it as a second shutdown furlough and issue another adverse action or furlough notice.

NOTE: Reductions in force (RIF) furlough regulations and SES competitive furlough requirements are not applicable to emergency shutdown furloughs because the ultimate duration of an emergency shutdown furlough is unknown at the outset and is dependent entirely on Congressional action, rather than agency action. The RIF furlough regulations and SES competitive furlough requirements, on the other hand, contemplate planned, foreseeable, money-saving furloughs that, at the outset, are planned to exceed 30 days.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-ove...-guidance/guidance-for-shutdown-furloughs.pdf See page 29

Honestly you people are utter morons.

1. Trump has not had a plan about anything since he has been in office. He can't hold a policy position for more than a day. Hell his wall isn't even a wall anymore...and he completely confuses the terms "wall" and "border security".

2. You don't "drain the swamp" by firing employees TCROW. You "drain the swamp" by getting the private money out of the campaigns, by stopping the revolving door where people go from govt employment to lobbying and back again, by firing department heads who are corrupt, by implementing term limits on Congress. You will note that Trump has not done one damn thing since he has been in office to drain the swamp.

3. Everyone who has a job "siphons private wealth to live paycheck to paycheck"...god damn that was a REALLY stupid comment.

Hijinx

Yep. And then they'd go on to hopefully seek private sector employment and stop being net takers and start producing.

Win/win. #MAGA!

You do realize that many of these people are Affirmative action workers, and the scream that would come up will start a sh*t storm the likes of which we haven't seen for a long time. But then I don't believe that was ever a part of the plan nor will it happen. This whole thing is so stupid to begin with and costing us much more then the original request.