Trump's tax returns already in Democrats' crosshairs as they take the House

Hijinx

Do they???

If Dept. Of Interior, Education, Energy, HUD or any acronym you can think of that isn't spelled out in the constitution stopped operating would it really be a bad thing?

Pelosi coming up with a budget for a Trump President????LMAO

It will be fun to watch.

Hijinx

The acronym I know needs passed is DoD. I'd really think DoJ is a good thing to fund, as well as Comerce, State, Treasury, and the VA. Other than (eventually) paying a few gazillion other workers later for not working now, I'm not too concerned anything else gets funded.

IMO with the election over-------Trump should fire Sessions tomorrow---or even today.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
The acronym I know needs passed is DoD. I'd really think DoJ is a good thing to fund, as well as Comerce, State, Treasury, and the VA. Other than (eventually) paying a few gazillion other workers later for not working now, I'm not too concerned anything else gets funded.

The military is in the constitution. Commerce and State Dept. can stay home and play golf.

I'll give you the VA. I would tend to lump that in with DOD.

BlueOx77

Seriously What is the OBSESSION With Trumps Tax Returns[/QUOTE]

If there is nothing to hide, then the president should release them. It's been done by every presidential nominee since Richard Nixon. If Nixon can release his tax returns, then so can this president.
Even at the local government level, officials have to file financial disclosure forms to show any possible financial conflicts of interest in their political dealings.
Releasing Trump's tax returns is not an attack or an affront to him, but he draws suspicions to himself because he refuses to release them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Here come the investigations by the left and a Congress that will do nothing but bicker. I'm okay with that as it means Congress isn't bending Americans over a barrel.

yeah true, but Progressives keen and screech as Trump tells them to go pound sand

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If there is nothing to hide, then the president should release them.

Post yours on the internet somewhere .... or live in a glass house, after all you have NOTHING to hide .... YOU have no RIGHT to Donald Trump's Tax Returns ... the is no FEDERAL Law Compelling Release therein

Releasing Trump's tax returns is not an attack or an affront to him, but he draws suspicions to himself because he refuses to release them.

in YOUR mind .... past performance of other politicians is by no means a rule of thumb ANYONE has to follow

Chris0nllyn

I don't think they can demand documents they see fit; I think they can demand documents for which there is a reasonable oversight purpose.

It's called "committee access" and has been around since the 20's (but not used very much)

Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee (or Senate Finance Committee, Joint Committee on Taxation) can request the tax returns. No actions happens in Congress as that request goes straight to the IRS (specifically, Mnuchin, the Treasury Sec.).

From there (here's where the "not used very much" part comes in), it's sort of unknown as committee access has never actually been in front of a judge so it's likely Trump uses the full Justice Dept. to fight the request from the House.

If the House wins, his tax returns would almost certainly see the light of day. There are privacy protections, but whomever ends up with his returns could simply make up a legislative purpose (i.e. possible conflicts of interest) and make them available to the full House (or Senate). From there you can almost guarantee they end up online.

https://taxprof.typepad.com/files/154tn1013-yin.pdf

This_person

The military is in the constitution. Commerce and State Dept. can stay home and play golf.

I'll give you the VA. I would tend to lump that in with DOD.

Commerce and State are in there, too. VA is a separate dept. It needs to be funded.

This_person

If there is nothing to hide, then the president should release them. It's been done by every presidential nominee since Richard Nixon. If Nixon can release his tax returns, then so can this president.
Even at the local government level, officials have to file financial disclosure forms to show any possible financial conflicts of interest in their political dealings.

Trump filed those same forms. Because others have done it does not mean Trump (or Clinton, or Biden, or Pence, or anyone else) should do it. Because others have done it is not justifying why it should be done.

This_person

It's called "committee access" and has been around since the 20's (but not used very much)

Chair of the House Ways and Means Committee (or Senate Finance Committee, Joint Committee on Taxation) can request the tax returns. No actions happens in Congress as that request goes straight to the IRS (specifically, Mnuchin, the Treasury Sec.).

From there (here's where the "not used very much" part comes in), it's sort of unknown as committee access has never actually been in front of a judge so it's likely Trump uses the full Justice Dept. to fight the request from the House.

If the House wins, his tax returns would almost certainly see the light of day. There are privacy protections, but whomever ends up with his returns could simply make up a legislative purpose (i.e. possible conflicts of interest) and make them available to the full House (or Senate). From there you can almost guarantee they end up online.

https://taxprof.typepad.com/files/154tn1013-yin.pdf

Again, I get that the law exists, but "make up a purpose" is exactly what I would oppose. Any reasonable person would oppose such a thing. I would oppose that for Clinton had she been elected, for THAT purpose.

BOP

Could care less. I have a very complicated tax return every year and I know what they contain....and what they don’t. Anyone that thinks Trump is routinely “getting away with something “ knows nothing about complex tax returns.....and really has no understanding of how deep the IRS teams dig in to them.

It might go more easily for you if you'd stop trying to write off time on the forums as "business- related."

Oops... gotta go!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Neal declared his intentions back in October, Newsweek reports, and claimed then that he could use an obscure 1924 provision in the United States tax code, that allows the Ways and Means Committee to view any American's tax returns upon request, to obtain Trump's records straight from the IRS (though he'd prefer it if the President simply complied with his wishes).

"I think we would all be comfortable if this was done on a voluntary basis," Neal said. "If they would resist the overture then I think you could probably see a long and grinding court case."

It's not clear what Neal hopes to learn from Trump's tax returns, but the President hasn't exactly been willing to turn over his financial information, either, perhaps leading Democrats to suspect he's hiding valuable information on how his finances and his position as President intertwine. During the 2016 campaign, Trump broke with tradition and did not disclose details of his or his corporation's finances, claiming that he and his company were under audit by the IRS.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/38078/not-even-24-hours-democrats-say-theyll-demand-emily-zanotti

Hijinx

Unless you are retarded we all know why they want Trumps tax returns.

They seek to find something--anything-- to use against him to complete their coup.

This_person

"I think we would all be comfortable if this was done on a voluntary basis," Neal said. "If they would resist the overture then I think you could probably see a long and grinding court case."

That would be the HUGE win for liberals - all of the arguing that Obama could resolve the issue of his birth by producing a birth certificate would be argued as hypocrisy while people tout that the president has no need to produce his taxes.

Nevermind that being a born citizen of the United States is a requirement for being president, the "optics" would be horrible for him to be fighting their release in court.

Trump broke with tradition and did not disclose details of his or his corporation's finances, claiming that he and his company were under audit by the IRS.

This, of course (even coming from the Daily Wire), is demonstrably false. Not releasing tax records is not even close to the same thing as "not disclos[ing] details of his or his corporation's finances".

black dog

Free America
The House has subpoena powers so they can certainly demand documents they see fit.

Here come the investigations by the left and a Congress that will do nothing but bicker. I'm okay with that as it means Congress isn't bending Americans over a barrel.

Checks and Balances, they are back in place.

This_person

Checks and Balances, they are back in place.

"Checks and balances" refer to the various authorities of the various branches of government. They have nothing to do with the parties.

And, by the way, until the states are represented in the Federal government again, via repealing the 17th amendment, there are no state checks on federal authority outside of constitutional amendments, so I would strongly argue they are not back in place.